To wrap or not

antijam

CCCUK Member
My car is fitted with headers and I need to overhaul my '71 starter motor. It won't come out with the header in place so I've removed it. It was very untidily wrapped in white glassfibre tape....

P1370285.JPG

...which I removed with the intention of replacing it more neatly with titanium tape. However, removing the wrap revealed a lot of surface rust and a fair sized hole burnt through one of the pipes.....

hole.JPG

The surrounding metal was very thin but my local exhaust guru made a good job of welding a repair 'scab'.....

P1370288.JPG

Given the poor condition of the metalwork I'm wondering if wrapping is a good idea. My starter problem is not associated with heat soak, although the collector passes very close so maybe just wrap that part and give the rest a coat of VHT?

What's your opinion - wrap or not wrap?

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
I would guess that most of the rusting occurs from the inside, unless you drive in heavy surface water causing road spray which the tape could trap i doubt the tape makes that much difference... note the words 'guess' & 'doubt' though.

Roscobbc

And there lies the real problem with 'wrapping' exhaust pipes and headers. The wrap retains any moisture/condensation that has been absorbed by the tape during periods when the engine isn't running. The better answer is ceramic coated headers - if coated inside and out they give-off far less heat than uncoated, much of this of reflected back in to the exhaust. Never wrap ceramic coated headers - it'll simply create corrosion problems that wouldn't otherwise occur.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Wrapping manifolds can actually lead to an increase in cylinder head temp too. I’m not a fan