Total Collapse of C8 Corvette Design & Lack of QA

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
One C8 Buyer :

I refused delivery of my 2024 Corvette, mechanical problems.

VIN # 1064.

My car was built on September 27, 2023. It was delivered on October 8, 2023. I went to pick it up on October 16, 2023.

I had an agreement with the purchasing dealer that when my corvette was unloaded from the transport truck that it gets parked and is not touched until I arrive. On Monday morning, my salesman and I removed the transport cover from the car, and we did a very good inspection.
Everything looked good as I expected, no damage.

After our inspection, we put the car in gear to drive it over to the service department for the PDI work. As soon as we started moving, the car started making all kinds of loud noises. We looked at each other with disbelief.
We were wondering if we should even move the car around to the front of the dealership.
The car was shuddering when we moved it. It seemed like every brake was catching and releasing.
The car has 2 miles on the odometer. The distance to the front of the dealership was maybe 700 feet.

We were met by the Sales Manage and the Service Technician in the front of the dealership.
The technician said we need to pull the car into the service bay and put in on the lift.
As we drove the car to the service bay, the car was dragging and shuttering and pulling from side to side. He put the car on the lift and removed the rear two wheels.

To our surprise there was a lot of gray substance material which looked like graphite all over the brakes, rotors, and the wheels. All four wheels had the same substance on them. The tech removed the brake pads from the driver side rear caliper. The pads were full of this gray substance.
The technician’s comment was he had never seen anything like this in all the years he's been working on new corvettes. We also suspect an axle problem.
357.jpg

The technician sent pictures to GM tech support and was told they had no idea what the substance was.
This car should have never left the plant because the noise and driving ability was obvious.
Unfortunately, I refused delivery of the car because of the issues.

Note : since this crap was on all four brake pads and C8 was only driven less than 2 Miles, I suspect this was done on purpose due to the UAW strike

Another C8 Buyer :

My C8 coupe was built on 9/28 and sat at 4150 status for a few weeks.
It's a museum delivery, and when I checked the location through Onstar this weekend, I saw that it had made its way from BGP to a GM facility in Pontiac, MI.

I've never seen where a C8 has been sent to MI for a QC issue, has anyone else experienced this?
Supposedly there is another customer at this dealer, also a museum delivery, and his was sent there as well.

Over the weekend I noticed my car's location pinged in OH, odd, because it should have gone straight to the museum.
I figured it was an Onstar error.
Then today I see it's in Bloomfield Hills, MI, and shortly after it's at 3810 Campus Dr Pontiac, MI.
Which looks to be an old assembly plant property which GM still owns.

I spoke to the dealer (MM) and there have been a "few others" reporting the same thing.
Museum is also looking into it and said there seems to be something going on with some of the units, but they are awaiting info from GM.
It's also odd because it was at status 4150, not 3800, where many of the delays seem to be occurring.

First, we have reports of new Corvettes that have been diverted to Michigan and are now sitting in a Penske facility for repairs/updates.

The number of cars up there appears to be growing daily, with the count now standing approximately at 23.
And the story is becoming clearer now, as the problem is said to be the Stingray’s DCT transmission design

Chevy had redesigned the case and made some other updates to the DCT for the 2024 model year, which may explain why they are suddenly dealing with this issue now.
According to Corvette, engineers are working with Tremec & Penske staff to get to the root of the problem once and for all.

Making the situation even worse is the fact that many of these Corvettes have already been invoiced and paid for, and customers may even be forced to begin making payments while they wait for their new Corvettes to be repaired.

And then there are reports that the number of Corvettes waiting for parts at the Corvette Assembly Plant may be even higher than first thought.

As many as 1,100 new Corvettes that were built “shy” (i.e. without all the parts to complete the build) are waiting on parts to be completed. As we mentioned in our October production update, things like emblems and even quarter panels are some of the parts missing on cars.
Building “shy” may explain why Chevy has been able to keep building 170–190 Corvettes per day despite everything we hear about temporary parts supply issues.