Tracker installation

12pots

CCCUK Member
Has anyone experienced fitting an S5 tracker to their C7 or C8 and could recommend a company that could be trusted not to butcher the wiring - thanks Alan

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Depends on where this is installed and how it is wired
One thing is, do not allow the power wires of the tracker to be attached to the power wires of the rearview mirror
as been found, doing so is causing the outside mirrors to fry up and ruin those special mirrors

Assure not wired on a way that causes controllers in the C8 waking up when parked, causing more battery voltage draining
Also, for C8 is it has a battery monitor and if wanting to install a new power circuit it has to be wired before the monitor and not after it

Guess my question is for C8s it has Onstar tracking, also has a transport tracking mode and PDR that can be set to video/audio record
when the car is parked, so why need this tracker installed ?

That S5 tracker looks a like a spy for insurance companies and to be active must pay a costly yearly fee

12pots

CCCUK Member
Thank you for the information. I had heard the same about frying components if not wired correctly hence my initial enquiry

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The driver’s outside rearview mirror on some 2020–2023 C8 Corvettes may have poor operation and appearance,
including numerous lines shown in the mirror and a dim reflection at all times. (Fig. 14)

The poor appearance may be caused by the installation of an aftermarket device in the vehicle.
Depending on the installation location, the aftermarket electrical device may cause higher voltage to the mirror.

If the damaged mirror appearance is shown, check for the installation of a jumper harness to power the device added to the mirror’s X1 connector.
The connector is located behind the front cover of the inside rearview mirror. (Fig. 15)

Disconnecting the jumper harness, and replacing the damaged outside rearview mirror due to the jumper harness, must be authorized by the customer.
Vehicle damage resulting from aftermarket devices is not covered under warranty.

For additional information, refer to Bulletin #21-NA-251.

F14-mirror-1.jpgF15-mirror-2.jpg

UKBeancounter

Committee Member
12Pots, have an S5 tracker on my C7. Installed by Tracker. If you buy off them they organise the install with a local subcontractor.
He did a nice neat job on mine (4 years ago now). The device was fitted somewhere sensible (no where near mirrors !!!).
Just make sure you replace the battery in the fob for the Tracker every couple of years, or the phone never stops ringing when you drive :rolleyes:
Jason

12pots

CCCUK Member
Thanks Jason, I have a C7 too and currently shopping around for insurance quotes. A number of companies are asking for an S5 tracker to be installed before they will insure. I am with Admiral atm who incidentally do not request a tracker but around £400 more than a policy requesting a tracker - as I intend to keep the car then the tracker is the obvious way to go. Just the concern of a bodged installation

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Have you considered, depending on the tracker model you choose in your money is 400 up to 1,000 for each one
and then monthly you have to pay them, plus what they charge to install the tracker ?
Could end up more than other vehicle insures who do not require this spy module installed ?

If you pay for 2–3 years and then have to sell the vehicle, do they give you back the money for unused months ?

Do all in the UK require doing this ?
When Corvettes with OnStar have built in trackers and even cellphone apps to track vehicle

S5 TRACKER

1 Year£159
2 Year£269
3 Year£369
Duration of Vehicle Ownership£649
Monthly Direct Debit£13.99

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Do all in the UK require doing this ?
When Corvettes with OnStar have built in trackers and even cellphone apps to track vehicle
GM/Chevrolet withdrew/"canned" their Onstar service in the UK/Europe in December 2020.

Last edited:

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Thanks Jason, I have a C7 too and currently shopping around for insurance quotes. A number of companies are asking for an S5 tracker to be installed before they will insure. I am with Admiral atm who incidentally do not request a tracker but around £400 more than a policy requesting a tracker - as I intend to keep the car then the tracker is the obvious way to go. Just the concern of a bodged installation
Is that on a C7 ZO6 or "regular" C7 Stingray? I was with Admiral on my C7 Stingray, then changed to LV who were cheaper and also did not require a Tracker fitted. Have you tried them? Cheers

12pots

CCCUK Member
Is that on a C7 ZO6 or "regular" C7 Stingray? I was with Admiral on my C7 Stingray, then changed to LV who were cheaper and also did not require a Tracker fitted. Have you tried them? Cheers
It is a C7 Z06, my renewal new quote by Admiral does not stipulate a tracker. LV will not insure the car - Tks

Kostasc7

New user
Has anyone experienced fitting an S5 tracker to their C7 or C8 and could recommend a company that could be trusted not to butcher the wiring - thanks Alan
They are great and very friendly/supportive with any queries.
The person who installed mine took quite a while as she hadn’t worked in a vette before but she did a great job. 5 months since having it and I had no issues