Trailing arm spindle seals

antijam

CCCUK Member
I'm rebuilding the trailing arms on my C3 and am unsure as to the correct fitting of the two seals arrowed in the picture below....

seals.jpg

The diagram appears to show them fitted with the lips facing outwards i.e away from the bearings. This would make sense if they're intended to keep dirt out rather than grease in. However some articles on the web have shown them fitted the other way round. Does anyone have the definitive answer?

TimP

CCCUK Member
Sorry to be slow on this but when I did my rear bearings I'm pretty sure that I fitted them like they are shown in the picture (which is a much better quality version of the one in my '72 service manual!). I wasn't in the habit of taking pictures of everything back then so unfortunately I don't have anything to back this up apart from a somewhat dodgy memory.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the response Tim. As I say, different people fit them differently.
Here with the lip facing on the outer seal facing away from the bearing.....
outer seal.jpg
...and here both seals with the lip facing towards the bearings.
both seals.jpg
Confusing! :unsure:

Emc

Supporting vendor
Thanks for the response Tim. As I say, different people fit them differently.
Here with the lip facing on the outer seal facing away from the bearing.....
View attachment 15541
...and here both seals with the lip facing towards the bearings.
View attachment 15544
Confusing! :unsure:
That is the correct way, I have built many mostly all original feel free to contact me if you are unsure about the rebuild. Are they your bearing carriers, if so the outer bearing must be totally toast as normally when the spindle is removed the outer bearing seal come out with it