Turn Signal Lever rotates in its socket

M

M.Ruds

Help! The turn signal/main-dip beam/cruise control lever on my C3 rotates in it's socket inside the steering column, so much so that when trying to indicate left the lever rotates downwards and catches against the steering column cover. Its a 78 car with a T&T column, and the lever itself is in good condition. I've managed to extract the lever pivot assembly (pictured below hopefully) out of the column, and can see that the key way in the socket that the lever pushes into is damaged inside which is obviously why the lever rotates. There is no part number on the assembly, and I've scanned all the spare parts suppliers catalogues that I can find, but no-one shows it. Does anyone know if replacements are available, or has anyone had this issue and managed to make a lasting repair.
Thanks in anticipation,
Mark R
P1020113.JPG

johng

CCCUK Member
I had the same problem and in addition my turn signal lever was also broken. Willcox show this part but it's out of stock and would cost $250 if they had it! I've sort of fixed mine by getting a new non-cruise control lever, which is straight rather than bent, so it doesn't want to rotate and it wouldn't matter if it did. It was only $25 plus shipping and vat and I don't use cruise anyway.

M

M.Ruds

$250 o_O:oops:o_O!

Looks like I'll be attempting a repair then!

I had thought of trying to straighten the original Cruise Control lever, and securing it into the pivot assy. It is only a hollow tube with a cable running through it, but remains to be seen how easily it will bend. If that looks like a non starter then I will probably go the same way and use a non-CC lever.

Thanks Johng for the prompt response.

phill78

CCCUK Member
$250 o_O:oops:o_O!

Looks like I'll be attempting a repair then!

I had thought of trying to straighten the original Cruise Control lever, and securing it into the pivot assy. It is only a hollow tube with a cable running through it, but remains to be seen how easily it will bend. If that looks like a non starter then I will probably go the same way and use a non-CC lever.

Thanks Johng for the prompt response.

hi i have a brand new lever with cruise if its the bent one
i bought it then saw mine was straight

M

M.Ruds

Cheers Phill78, thanks for the response, but its the pivot assy inside the steering column cover which the lever pushes into that I was after, rather than the lever itself.
But on the up side, I've been in the mancave this afternoon and I think I might have fixed the problem. The repair is holding up while on the bench, we'll see how it stands up to use once back in the car...here's hoping!