Tyre time

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
MOT and Bavarian road-trip looming - car is all good apart from rear tyres. Local tyre depot has F1 Eagles and I've booked the car in for next Tuesday 9th May. They only have two-post ramps not a traditional four-poster with slide support x-members. Can they safely jack the car from the rear with a trolley jack or is the two-post ramp better? Also, for the ramp, is there a widget/puck-thing they'll need to use or am I worrying too much? Cheers chaps. Ed

Last edited:

Rich

Administrator
If anyone is lifting the car using the chassis rail jacking points, pucks should be fitted to avoid damage to the sills. They push in place and stay there. BMW ones fit perfectly but I can't give you the part number as I am away. I think they were E15 ones. Buy them once and forget about them.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
FYI,
I have jacked up the ass end of my 1999 C5 countless times using a floor jack under the cross member of diff with no issues
Using then 2 jack stands

$27 US, set of four lift pucks for C5-C7s I have been using

Pucks.jpg

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Jacking on the diff a no-no then?
Absolutely a no-no on these cars. Same goes for the engine sump.

There are proper jacking points - use them. (I confirm the BMW pucks are perfect for Corvettes and easily available in UK.)

By the way, any attempt to jack on the sills themselvs will cause expensive damage.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Not jacking on the diff itself, but the main cross frame as the GM directed way as seen in the C5 owners manual
Also, can jack from the front

The slots in the frame really was about when transporting the car to tie-down to trailer

c5jackpoint.jpg

The slots in frame rails are hydro-formed, they are soft and can bend inwards with enough weight, but many people use those points where the slots are

Where GM has a T-Hook part like I have that goes into the slots, then turn them to lash down to trailer bed
Connects to the slots in frame rails

Thooks.jpg

Last edited:

Yellow 2

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the input. I also trawled the yank forums - seems to be a consensus that a short length 6"x"2 under the rear x-member and chocked front wheels is simplest.