Tyres for '74 L48?

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Hi fellow lockdowners…...

I have a '74 L48. Visually the tyres are in good condition with lots of tread. However, the car feels slightly ' nervous' on the road. A mechanically savvie friend has suggested, that as the rest of the suspension tracking etc appears to be fine, that the tyres may be the problem and maybe should possibly be replaced...

The tyres are....Rampage G/T Roadmaster….P225/GR15......is there any way of finding out their approx age from the other markings please? Also, any thoughts on a recommended replacement brand/ supplier?

I believe the car may have been standing for a long period before I took ownership.

Any help much appreciated....

Thanks very much
Gus.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Hi fellow lockdowners…...

I have a '74 L48. Visually the tyres are in good condition with lots of tread. However, the car feels slightly ' nervous' on the road. A mechanically savvie friend has suggested, that as the rest of the suspension tracking etc appears to be fine, that the tyres may be the problem and maybe should possibly be replaced...

The tyres are....Rampage G/T Roadmaster….P225/GR15......is there any way of finding out their approx age from the other markings please? Also, any thoughts on a recommended replacement brand/ supplier?

I believe the car may have been standing for a long period before I took ownership.

Any help much appreciated....

Thanks very much
Gus.
For the age tyre age data - Google Search
Tyres get hard with age and very old tyres can disintegrate at speed
"Nervous on the road" is that bump steer you are experiencing (Bump steer is geometry)
What pressure are you running in the front tyres?
Tyres that have been standing for a long time will loose their roundness and create a poor driving experience, but with the correct pressures would not be a "Nervous" ie gittery feel

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Hi.....thanks for the reply....
The tyres are smooth to ride on.....no bump steer [I think] or particular harshness. No obvious perishing or age related deterioration? However the vehicle just feels slightly 'skittish' and doesn't inspire confidence when pressing on [which has been commented on when driven by a couple of other experienced classic car drivers].....sorry I'm struggling to describe this more accurately.
I was running the vehicle @30psi ......but have reduced this to @25....didn't feel much different.
The car steers/brakes in a straight line....and I obviously don't want to shed a set of perfectly good tyres.......

Roscobbc

Some older tyres last longer as they get older.............what I mean by that is they can get harder with age, have less grip and squeal like stuck pigs! - certainly is my experience with BF's - have never heard of the brand fiitted to your car. Perhaps consider replacement? Galaxy brand seems to be getting some good comments (and the only American brand with a reasonable speed rating now)

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks for the reply......yes grip seems lacking. To be honest, fine for just gently cruising around, but they don't really instil enough confidence to make them squeal!
I'll take a look at 'Galaxie'

Roscobbc

Thanks for the reply......yes grip seems lacking. To be honest, fine for just gently cruising around, but they don't really instil enough confidence to make them squeal!
I'll take a look at 'Galaxie'
North Hants Tyres

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I fitted the Galaxy R1 tyres onto my '75 couple of years ago and I'm pleased with them. Massive improvement over the previous tyres I had. They have an up-to-date tread design, (but in no way wacky) but still with the raised white lettering classic look that suits these cars. I've got 225/70R15.
You said the suspension is okay and aligned, but have you checked for excessive play in the steering box? This can be adjusted but you have to be careful not to over adjust.
The other thing that might help you is to increase the amount of caster on the front suspension. That will add more weight and stability to the steering. For some reason these cars were designed with very little.

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
I fitted the Galaxy R1 tyres onto my '75 couple of years ago and I'm pleased with them. Massive improvement over the previous tyres I had. They have an up-to-date tread design, (but in no way wacky) but still with the raised white lettering classic look that suits these cars. I've got 225/70R15.
You said the suspension is okay and aligned, but have you checked for excessive play in the steering box? This can be adjusted but you have to be careful not to over adjust.
The other thing that might help you is to increase the amount of caster on the front suspension. That will add more weight and stability to the steering. For some reason these cars were designed with very little.

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Thank you very much....sounds like Galaxie is the way to go. Perhaps get the caster checked at the same time. I'm pretty sure that the steering box is ok, but you're right.... it would make sense to get it checked too.

Will be good to meet you chaps when we are finally allowed to 'stretch our mechanical legs!'.....

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Hi.....thanks for the reply....
The tyres are smooth to ride on.....no bump steer [I think] or particular harshness. No obvious perishing or age related deterioration? However the vehicle just feels slightly 'skittish' and doesn't inspire confidence when pressing on [which has been commented on when driven by a couple of other experienced classic car drivers].....sorry I'm struggling to describe this more accurately.
I was running the vehicle @30psi ......but have reduced this to @25....didn't feel much different.
The car steers/brakes in a straight line....and I obviously don't want to shed a set of perfectly good tyres.......
If it is Skitish and not the tyres it is an issue of wear or/and geometry, if it were me, I would change the tyres first and then sort out any wear issues and then get it correctly set up, remember setting the geometry on a car is like a Rubics Cube, move one element and it alters another, it is a question of going through all the elements, back and front repeatedly until you have the Rubics correct in all positions to the correct settings

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
“Roadmaster Rampage” tyres are manufactured by Cooper (good) but its’s their commercial vehicle range.

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks for those replies chaps....yes....I think you have confirmed, that a change of tyres and a geometry check are the way to go.
Gus

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Check it out first
But Cooper Cobra Radial G/T 255-60-15 could be good
They are a Mud and Snow tyre (Normal Tread) so they are a softer compound and consequently better for us when defeating age hardening, when we do not do enough miles to wear them out.
Slightly wider check ok with the 8" width wheel and check no fettling of the front arches needed, check they are still M & S.

Has anyone on here put the 255 60 15s on a 74 without the need to fettle the front arches?