Tyres

Ian at Forfar

CCCUK Member
Hi everyone , looks like I will have to replace my tyres soon on my C7 .
As you can’t get run flats any advice , UK car so19 and 20 inch .
Car not driven hard , so. not sure to for premium or mid range .
Thanks for any advice or recommendations .

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I do not know about tire brands in the UK
but one thought is the battery in the tire pressure sensors only last about 7 years or so
So if replacing tires would be a good time to replace TPMS at the same time

Ian at Forfar

CCCUK Member
Hi and thanks, had a look they certainly seem to have run flats in stock but the price is nearly double the non run flat Sport 4S .
My local ATS seems to be the most reasonably price for sport 4 S non run flats .
Thought is might be interesting if someone had experience with a budget tyre .

Last edited:

Ian at Forfar

CCCUK Member
Had a look thanks as I suspected most people switching to non run flats , done the same when I had a C5 and never regretted it .Looking like Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S , unless someone has had a good experience with a budget tyre .

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Had a look thanks as I suspected most people switching to non run flats , done the same when I had a C5 and never regretted it .Looking like Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S , unless someone has had a good experience with a budget tyre.
Wouldn't put budget tyres on a C7, if only for "Provenance". A couple of years ago, a Car Supermaket in N.Ireland had Oliver Gavins old white C7 for sale with budget Accelera tyres on it. Ian Goss who looks after a lot of American cars down here, recommended them for my Daily Driver. Seem fine to me at fraction of cost. I'm not driving it at 170mph tho, with 466 bhp under the hood.. :):)

Attachments

• oliver gavin 2.jpg
    oliver gavin 2.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 8

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I do not know how the UK or even car insurance is, but the car has to use the speed rating GM set

base C7 (Not ZO6 or ZR1) not sure about GS

Front: P285/30ZR19
Rear: P335/25ZR20

So as you see C7 is ZR rated and if using lessor could have problems when the need is for someone to be checking
if the tires mounted meet that speed rating

speed-rating-chart-tires.jpg

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
When I bought my C5 it was fitted with Accelera tyres (20 inch wheels front and rear). I'd never heard of this make and was a bit dubious about them as I only ever buy premium tyres. However, they were new, and I thought I'd just see how they performed. I've done about 4,000 miles on them in all weathers and have absolutely no problem with them - plenty grip in all conditions and seem to be wearing ok. Based on my experience I'd use them again. They are made in Indonesia - where rubber comes from. The tyres have the correct speed rating for the car.

Pete

Last edited:

Roscobbc

More importantly (and as TeamZR1 alluded to) the correct speed rating code should be adhered to when replacing tyres......doubt whether the use of lower speed rated tyres on a late model Vette will be actually be problematical in use (especially as you'll be most unlikely to travel anywhere close to the tyres rated speed, unless perhaps in Germany) - but its not just about speed is it? - its also about the tyre being capable of dealing with the power, torque and cornering ability of the vehicle. Just look at some of the current vehicles on the market with high torque outputs (electric and hybrid cars). Very few of them have top speeds anywhere close to the rating of the OEM specified tyres. And of course there are the insurance implications...........if you use tyres with a speed rating below the manuacturers recommendations and have an accident? - will the insurance asessor reject your insurance claim?

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
According to this, the Acceleras are good in the dry, but not so hot in the wet. But we don't drive the "Vette in the wet" (that Rhymes ;) ) anyway do we? Not after all that cleaning and polishing of the prized possession? ;)

Attachments

• Corvette pwner.jpg
    Corvette pwner.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 5

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
I've honestly had no issues at all in the wet. I had to use my Corvette a few weeks ago to visit my daughter - 160 mile round trip in the torrential rain and very low temperatures. The tyres performed very well with absolutely no slides, aquaplaning, tramlining etc etc - and i wasn't hanging about. If these tyres were crap I'd say, and change them immediately.

Pete

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Looking like Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S
Yes, those are what you need. At least, they're what I have on my C7 after doing a lot of research.

If you've found a set available then buy them a.s.a.p. Supply is very unpredictable, particularly as you need two sizes.

Unlike putting conventional tyres on a C5 you won't get much ride quality improvement - the sidewalls are pretty stiff to deal with the weight of SUV vehicles for which they were originally designed. But you will get a reduction of road noise, particularly on concrete roads. OEM runflats make an appalling racket on concrete roads.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
I've honestly had no issues at all in the wet. I had to use my Corvette a few weeks ago to visit my daughter - 160 mile round trip in the torrential rain and very low temperatures. The tyres performed very well with absolutely no slides, aquaplaning, tramlining etc etc - and i wasn't hanging about. If these tyres were crap I'd say, and change them immediately.

Pete
Totally happy with them on my Daily Driver, including driving in rain! Would deffo get them again when need replacing, Wear well too! ;)

Ian at Forfar

CCCUK Member
Hi Keith , had thought about doing that as you have supplied me several sets of tyres in the past .
Have ordered Michelin Pilot sport 4S and having them fitted on Thursday .
Cheers