UK C8 update

Roscobbc

An interesting update from Corvetteblogger.com re. UK 'launch' editions of C8's - notice how 'conservative' the body/interior colour options/availability are..........
URL]

"This week we’ve been lucky to come across new information related to the C8 Corvette as Chevy is working to begin exporting the Right-Hand-Drive (RHD) Corvettes to the U.K., Japan, and other countries later this year.
Today we have some information that is directly related to the C8 Corvette Launch for the United Kingdom. Chevrolet announced last year that a special “Launch Edition” model would be made available for the market and now we have the specifics on what the launch edition will include.
From Chevrolet’s U.K. Marketing Bulletin:

The first production months of the European Corvette Stingray will be reserved for an exclusive launch edition. It will be a fully-equipped Stingray, featuring high-performance equipment and distinctive design elements, and available in 16 individual interior/exterior color combinations: 8 Coupe and 8 Convertible versions.
Both Coupe and Convertible will be equipped standard with desirable equipment, such as the Magnetic Ride Control and the highest interior trim available, including premium carbon-fiber details. The exterior design will be elevated by Carbon Flash-painted elements, such as wheels, rear spoiler, and outside mirrors. The Convertible will include roof and nacelles painted in Carbon Flash. The Coupe will be equipped with Competition Sears whereas the Convertible will feature GT2 seats.
To elevate the driving experience even more, each launch edition (Coupe and Convertible) can be delivered with the new optional feature that is for the first time available on a Corvette: E60 Front Lift. This feature raises the front of the vehicle approximately 50 mm in less than 3 seconds at lower speeds (*up to 35 km/h).
To recap, each of the Launch Editions are 3LT trims with Magnetic Ride Control and the Z51 Performance Package. Customers will be able to select the exterior color and whether or not they want the optional Front Lift. Both models feature Nappa leather with seating surfaces and steering wheel in sueded microfiber, along with the carbon fiber interior trim.
The Launch Editions have a standardized color palette based on the Exterior choice. Note that that guide we have has substituted the new 2022 internal GM color names for the soon-to-be-retired Sebring Orange, Shadow Gray, and Zeus Bronze:
C8 Corvette Coupe Configurations

• Arctic White: Jet Black Interior, Black Seatbelts, Black Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Black: Jet Black interior, Torch Red Seatbelts, Bright Red Calipers, Adrenaline Red Stitching.
  • Torch Red: Adrenaline Red Interior, Torch Red Seat Belts, Bright Red Calipers, No Stitching
  • Hypersonic Gray: Natural Interior, Tan Seat Belts, Edge Red Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Rapid Blue: Jet Black Interior, Tension Blue Seats, Yellow Brake Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Elkhart Lake Blue: Adrenaline Red Interior, Black Seat Belts, Bright Red Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Accelerate Yellow: Jet Black Interior, Yellow Seat Belts, Yellow Brake Calipers, Yellow Stitching.
  • Ceramic Matrix Gray: Jet Black Interior, Yellow Seat Belts, Yellow Brake Calipers, Yellow Stitchin
  • C8 Corvette Convertible Configurations:
  • Torch Red: Jet Black Interior, Black Seat Belts, Black Brake Calipers, No Stitching
  • Arctic White: Sky Cool Gray two-tone Interior, Black Seat Belts, Edge Red Brake Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Silver Flare: Adrenaline Red two-tone Interior, Black Seat Belts, Bright Red Brake Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Caffeine Brown: Natural two-tone Interior, Black Seat Belts, Black Brake Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Rapid Blue: Sky Cool Gray Interior, Tension Blue Seat Belts, Black Brake Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Elkhart Lake Blue: Natural Interior, Tan Seat Belts, Black Brake Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Mist Red: Sky Cool Gray two-tone Interior, Black Seat Belts, Edge Red Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Amplify Orange: Jet Black Interior, Orange Seat Belts, Black Brake Calipers, No Stitching.
Once the Launch roll-out period is completed, buyers in the United Kingdom will be able to purchase a 2LT version as the standard version with choice of seats (GT1, GT2, or Competition) with the Z51 Performance Package offered as standard equipment. The optional 3LT version will allow additional colors and custom leather-wrapped interiors along with a choice of GT2 or Competition seats.
From Corvette Blogger
"Last year, Chevrolet Europe announced the list prices for the generously equipped launch edition models will start in the UK at £81,700 ($115,049.94 USD) for the coupe and at £87,110 ($122,668.30 USD) for the convertible. As it’s been nearly a year since this was posted, we are not sure if the pricing will stay as listed.
Ordering details for the Launch Edition are not presented, but the person we spoke with suggested that orders could open within the next month or two with the first deliveries coming sometime later this fall. However, that is not yet set in stone.
Ian Allan Motors is the authorized distributor for Chevrolet in the United Kingdom. For questions about ordering your own C8 Corvette Launch Edition, contact them at dp@ianallanmotors.co.uk or visit www.ianallanvirginiawater.co.uk.

The Launch Edition configurations are the exact same configurations posted by the Corvette Prague dealership where we learned about the new 2022 Corvette exterior colors, and so we assume these configurations will be used throughout Europe with the only difference being the United Kingdom received Right-Hand-Drive vehicles while the rest of the continent will get the standard LHD configuration."

Last edited:

Rich

Administrator
I agree with Jonny. I'm not sure that the report is correct as the Launch Edition allocation for the UK is probably sold to those that put deposits on a while ago. Q1/Q2 2022 is probably more likely for delivery.

Roscobbc

Doesn't give any information about expected numbers they are likely to produce - will it cover all UK existing orders?

Rich

Administrator
I'm keeping my ear so close to the ground that it is in danger of getting gravel rash. My gut feel is "no".

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
An interesting update from Corvetteblogger.com re. UK 'launch' editions of C8's - notice how 'conservative' the body/interior colour options/availability are..........
URL]

"This week we’ve been lucky to come across new information related to the C8 Corvette as Chevy is working to begin exporting the Right-Hand-Drive (RHD) Corvettes to the U.K., Japan, and other countries later this year.
Today we have some information that is directly related to the C8 Corvette Launch for the United Kingdom. Chevrolet announced last year that a special “Launch Edition” model would be made available for the market and now we have the specifics on what the launch edition will include.
From Chevrolet’s U.K. Marketing Bulletin:

The first production months of the European Corvette Stingray will be reserved for an exclusive launch edition. It will be a fully-equipped Stingray, featuring high-performance equipment and distinctive design elements, and available in 16 individual interior/exterior color combinations: 8 Coupe and 8 Convertible versions.
Both Coupe and Convertible will be equipped standard with desirable equipment, such as the Magnetic Ride Control and the highest interior trim available, including premium carbon-fiber details. The exterior design will be elevated by Carbon Flash-painted elements, such as wheels, rear spoiler, and outside mirrors. The Convertible will include roof and nacelles painted in Carbon Flash. The Coupe will be equipped with Competition Sears whereas the Convertible will feature GT2 seats.
To elevate the driving experience even more, each launch edition (Coupe and Convertible) can be delivered with the new optional feature that is for the first time available on a Corvette: E60 Front Lift. This feature raises the front of the vehicle approximately 50 mm in less than 3 seconds at lower speeds (*up to 35 km/h).
To recap, each of the Launch Editions are 3LT trims with Magnetic Ride Control and the Z51 Performance Package. Customers will be able to select the exterior color and whether or not they want the optional Front Lift. Both models feature Nappa leather with seating surfaces and steering wheel in sueded microfiber, along with the carbon fiber interior trim.
The Launch Editions have a standardized color palette based on the Exterior choice. Note that that guide we have has substituted the new 2022 internal GM color names for the soon-to-be-retired Sebring Orange, Shadow Gray, and Zeus Bronze:
C8 Corvette Coupe Configurations

• Arctic White: Jet Black Interior, Black Seatbelts, Black Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Black: Jet Black interior, Torch Red Seatbelts, Bright Red Calipers, Adrenaline Red Stitching.
  • Torch Red: Adrenaline Red Interior, Torch Red Seat Belts, Bright Red Calipers, No Stitching
  • Hypersonic Gray: Natural Interior, Tan Seat Belts, Edge Red Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Rapid Blue: Jet Black Interior, Tension Blue Seats, Yellow Brake Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Elkhart Lake Blue: Adrenaline Red Interior, Black Seat Belts, Bright Red Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Accelerate Yellow: Jet Black Interior, Yellow Seat Belts, Yellow Brake Calipers, Yellow Stitching.
  • Ceramic Matrix Gray: Jet Black Interior, Yellow Seat Belts, Yellow Brake Calipers, Yellow Stitchin
  • C8 Corvette Convertible Configurations:
  • Torch Red: Jet Black Interior, Black Seat Belts, Black Brake Calipers, No Stitching
  • Arctic White: Sky Cool Gray two-tone Interior, Black Seat Belts, Edge Red Brake Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Silver Flare: Adrenaline Red two-tone Interior, Black Seat Belts, Bright Red Brake Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Caffeine Brown: Natural two-tone Interior, Black Seat Belts, Black Brake Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Rapid Blue: Sky Cool Gray Interior, Tension Blue Seat Belts, Black Brake Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Elkhart Lake Blue: Natural Interior, Tan Seat Belts, Black Brake Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Mist Red: Sky Cool Gray two-tone Interior, Black Seat Belts, Edge Red Calipers, No Stitching.
  • Amplify Orange: Jet Black Interior, Orange Seat Belts, Black Brake Calipers, No Stitching.
Once the Launch roll-out period is completed, buyers in the United Kingdom will be able to purchase a 2LT version as the standard version with choice of seats (GT1, GT2, or Competition) with the Z51 Performance Package offered as standard equipment. The optional 3LT version will allow additional colors and custom leather-wrapped interiors along with a choice of GT2 or Competition seats.
From Corvette Blogger
"Last year, Chevrolet Europe announced the list prices for the generously equipped launch edition models will start in the UK at £81,700 ($115,049.94 USD) for the coupe and at £87,110 ($122,668.30 USD) for the convertible. As it’s been nearly a year since this was posted, we are not sure if the pricing will stay as listed.
Ordering details for the Launch Edition are not presented, but the person we spoke with suggested that orders could open within the next month or two with the first deliveries coming sometime later this fall. However, that is not yet set in stone.
Ian Allan Motors is the authorized distributor for Chevrolet in the United Kingdom. For questions about ordering your own C8 Corvette Launch Edition, contact them at dp@ianallanmotors.co.uk or visit www.ianallanvirginiawater.co.uk.

The Launch Edition configurations are the exact same configurations posted by the Corvette Prague dealership where we learned about the new 2022 Corvette exterior colors, and so we assume these configurations will be used throughout Europe with the only difference being the United Kingdom received Right-Hand-Drive vehicles while the rest of the continent will get the standard LHD configuration."

It’s unlikely that anyone will see one of these at £81k or £87 respectively. Closer to £130k are being listed for the LHD model in the uk at the moment. If it does happen great but can you imagine the depreciation for the poor souls that paid £130k for the left hooker in a few years time

Roscobbc

For the 'lucky' buyer perhaps with £130K to play with for the 'privelege' of being one of the first to own a C8 in the UK? - for them the cost perhaps will be relatively insignificant - maybe for them the purchase will be one where the additional cost is offset by personal tax benefits - or it will be a company purchase - logic being if they don't 'spend it' they'll 'loose it' in some form of taxation.

Rich

Administrator
It’s unlikely that anyone will see one of these at £81k or £87 respectively. Closer to £130k are being listed for the LHD model in the uk at the moment. If it does happen great but can you imagine the depreciation for the poor souls that paid £130k for the left hooker in a few years time
Not sure what you are basing this on, as GM have declared the pricing as have Ian Allan Motors. Of course the small print says they are subject to change and exchange rate fluctuations are a possiblilty, but I would expect GM finance to have take out options to protect their exchange rate exposure. The LHD pricing is a different matter and anyone paying £130k for a car with no factory backing should be aware of the mechanical and transactional risks, and can probably afford to take them.

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
I have indeed seen the £130k LHD cars advertised. i do hope you are right about the pricing on the RHD as it would make a supercar affordable for more than just the super rich. Better start saving those pennies.

Rich

Administrator
......Better start saving those pennies.

No rush - you've got plenty of time but you probably won't be able to acquire a "launch edition" anyway as I believe they are purely for the first batch, and are spoken for.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
If Mr GM has the option of either building a C8 and selling it for $60,000 in USA or of building a C8 and selling it for £80,000+ in UK I think I know which way he'll be leaning. So I'm not expecting any "shortage" of UK cars - unlike the shambolic arrival of C7.

How much demand there is for C8 remains a different question, particularly in the context of Corvette being cheaper than its competitors in USA but the opposite way round in UK/Europe.

Roscobbc

Reminds me of all the 1600 E's one would see on piles of bricks in the street or drives with Rostyles missing.........

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Same here, came out and my wolfrace slots were missing from a Capri 3000E. They did leave me some old bricks in trade tho.

Roscobbc

If Mr GM has the option of either building a C8 and selling it for $60,000 in USA or of building a C8 and selling it for £80,000+ in UK I think I know which way he'll be leaning. So I'm not expecting any "shortage" of UK cars - unlike the shambolic arrival of C7.

How much demand there is for C8 remains a different question, particularly in the context of Corvette being cheaper than its competitors in USA but the opposite way round in UK/Europe.
I remember GM's launch of the C6ZR1 in the UK and GM's UK chief responsible for the launch and pinning down the specification for the UK responding incredulously at my suggestion that supplying as standard chromed alloy wheels was not the best option for UK buyers.
With GM seemingly leaving IAM to market the C8 and take 'holding' deposits I wonder how long buyers will have to wait and how many will receive 'Launch Editions'. Seems that the earlier hinted at exterior/interior colour options are far more limited than suggested with a fairly small 'palette' of options. Wonder who makes the marketing choices?

c5ynk

CCCUK Member
More fool them for paying over msrp donot think any have been sold anyway at way over price hope not!!!