ULEZ 'Expansion' - August 2023 - how this may affect you!

Roscobbc

At least our Julia Lopez, our local MP and Minister of State at the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport is significantly 'on side'.
Quote:-
Dear Ross,
We have previously been in touch about the Mayor of London’s decision to expand the Ultra-Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) London-wide from August of this year. I wanted to share with you the response I have just received from the Deputy Mayor for Environment and Energy, Shirley Rodrigues, to my most recent representations against the damaging ULEZ expansion on constituents' behalf. You can find a copy of this response on my website at: Mayor's Response To MP's ULEZ Objections

As you know, I am deeply opposed to the decision to enlarge the zone and have previously made both my own and constituents' concerns known to the Mayor during earlier public consultation and following his announcement. You can view each of these submissions on my website at the below address:
ULEZ Consultation Submission - ULEZ Consultation Submission
December representations - MP asks Mayor to rethink damaging ULEZ plan

When writing to the Mayor, I put to him that he has not done enough to reduce TfL’s own emissions, particularly those arising from TfL’s bus network. In response, the Deputy Mayor shares that as few as 9% of the vehicles on TfL’s bus network are zero emission and diminishes the Mayor’s own responsibility to improve this.

We are instead advised that the Mayor is committed to delivering a zero-emission fleet in London by 2034 but, with Government funding, this could be brought forward to 2030. TfL’s own statements confirm that the ULEZ expansion would cost circa £200m, a figure which does not include the £110m scrappage scheme - money which Conservative London Assembly Members have said could be put to better use by purchasing up to 500 electric buses. I believe that the Mayor should be looking to fulfil his own responsibilities to reduce TfL’s own emissions before taxing Londoners in this way.

The Mayor claims to be doing all he can to support Londoners with the cost of living, while establishing what is effectively a daily tax on those who can least afford a new vehicle, and the Deputy Mayor even goes as far as to suggest that the removal of a £10 per vehicle Auto Pay registration fee will help the drivers of non-compliant vehicles. I am not sure that this will come as huge relief to those facing a £12.50 daily charge for use of their vehicle.

The Mayor’s Scrappage Scheme is also held up as evidence of his assistance to Londoners in the face of current cost of living pressures, however a search of the local car market using Auto Trader does not show a high availability of compliant vehicles within the maximum scrappage award. Just 198 compliant family size (5 seat) vehicles were available within 20 miles of my Upminster office and demand for these vehicles will clearly soon increase.

Within her response, the Deputy Mayor argues that the Government should be contributing to the Mayor’s scrappage scheme. As the Minister for Roads and Transport stated in Parliament recently, since the beginning of the pandemic the Government have provided over £6 billion, or £650 for every Londoner, in funding to TfL. This overall funding package includes the most recent long-term funding settlement of August which provided TfL with £1.2 billion until the end of March 2024 helping to ensure that TfL remains protected against potential lost revenue following changes in post-pandemic demand. The suggestion that taxpayers should contribute further to support policies which the Mayor’s own consultation shows that Londoners do not want demeans the Mayor’s office.

Finally, the Deputy Mayor’s response is poor at addressing concerns that the ULEZ expansion is inappropriate in outer London because TfL’s public transport network is not good enough for most people to rely upon. The Mayor has touted in several documents that there will be an improvement in the bus connectivity between Harold Hill and Upminster. While this is welcomed, this is just one route in my constituency, and I do not believe that the Mayor is truly committed to the scale of improvements required to make public transport a viable alternative to many in Havering.

Last year the Mayor consulted on changes to inner London bus routes and initially proposed that 71 bus routes would be subject to a change of route and 22 routes would be withdrawn. Following consultation, the Mayor announced that, having listened to Londoners, only four routes would be changed and four would be withdrawn. When announcing this decision, the Mayor advised that this would mean tough decisions elsewhere, despite promising the biggest ever expansion of the bus network in outer London. It seems clear where the Mayor expects these tough decisions to fall.

A number of constituents have expressed a hope that the Government would be able to intervene to stop the Mayor from introducing this policy. Unfortunately, as I have already confirmed to many correspondents, the Mayor is using powers lawfully granted to him via the Greater London Authority Act 1999 in a position to which he has been democratically elected. The Government is therefore unable to obstruct the Mayor in implementing this policy. To overturn primary legislation like the GLA Act would be a lengthy and deeply controversial process, by which time the deadline to begin implementation would have passed and the Government would effectively be upending a democratically elected representative. However, while the Government is unable to block this policy, the Minister for Roads and Transport has confirmed that the Government will not provide any funding to support the implementation of the ULEZ expansion.

Finally, the Deputy Mayor has asserted that a number of constituents, in comments I had shared on an anonymous basis with the Mayor, had expressed their support for the ULEZ expansion. This is totally disingenuous. While constituents had joined in me in expressing an appreciation that air pollution is an issue which requires addressing, none had expressed support for the ULEZ and it is wrong for the Mayor’s administration to conflate the two positions.

I shall continue to work with colleagues in parliament and on the London Assembly to highlight the deep unpopularity of the Mayor's plan and the reasons why he should think again. I am also waiting clarification on whether local councils have any power to withhold consent for the installation of the necessary infrastructure to implement this scheme and asked the Leader of Havering Council about the Council’s own interpretation of this and if he will join other Outer London Boroughs in resisting ULEZ expansion.

I have received advice that the Council is awaiting feedback from legal Counsel on the validity of the Mayor’s consultation and possible flaws in associated documents. I shall continue to engage with the Council to encourage their opposition to this policy as robustly as it can and I would encourage constituents to contact the Council directly to ensure it is aware of the strength of local feeling on this issue. You can find the contact details for your own ward Councillors and the Leader of the Council at:
https://democracy.havering.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?bcr=1

I hope that this update is helpful. I will provide further updates on this issue when available.

With best wishes,

Julia

JULIA LOPEZ MP
Hornchurch & Upminster

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Probably took Captain K after Kenny Everett's Captain Kremen?
It's far more boring than that - the "K" part is the first letter of my name (Kieran) that pretty much no-one can ever spell correctly, even if it is right there in front of someone (e.g. on Teams chat at work, or Facebook etc etc). So most people have called me "K" for most of my life now. As for the Captain part, that was a thing from school I think, can't really remember why. But either way I've used "CaptainK" (no space) as an online username since I first started using the internet whilst I was at College.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The air quality generally in outer London boroughs is generally far less of an issue than Khan has quoted.......especially since Covid etc. Yes, there are 'pinch points' where levels are higher than ideal at peak times. One can argue however that many of the highest reported recorded areas in Central London are logically where traffic density is significantly high.........and actually worsened by traffic management systems...........so the 20 mph zones will cause vehicles to run in lower gear ratios and create more (nor less) pollution, as will 'speed humps', narrowed roads, one way streets and 'blocked' side streets. Simple answer is probably the same amount of vehicles are using far less available road space with correspondingly far lower speeds - a journey that perhaps took, say a hour some years ago......now will take 50% longer, perhaps more.........and much of that time your supposedly low emission, super clean, ULEZ compliant engine is running and emmiting CO and other 'nasties'........
The UK is one of the cleanest countries in the world producing just 1% of the worlds carbon emmissions and ICE vehicles a very small portion of that 1 % . China produces 30% of the worlds polution so our politicians are manipulating the Greenies hystria and using it as a big fat cash cow . China has produced more pollution in the last 10 years than the UK has since othe Industrial Revolution circa 1750 . Go figure !!!

maxuk15

CCCUK Member
You will be charged (as all other Historic vehicles are) to enter the Central Congestion Charge Zone (at certain hours) - the same applies to the Dartford Crossing. You will be exempt and not charged for entering the current or expanded ULEZ zones.
Charged for the QE2 bridge !!!!! What a crock of sh**e !!!!! Do Corvettes float :)))) So take a BIG detour down to Newhaven ................ Burn more fuel........ Nonsense .............

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Corruption, scandal.... who would have thought it from a politician?

Also, it amuses me when people include their Facebook Click ID (fbclid) in a link when sharing it. Trim that bit off, you don't need it, and saves Facebook tracking everything (I trimmed it when I copied the link into my browser). :)

Roscobbc

Update on ULEZ extension.
I realise that for many of you the implications of the ULEZ expansion this August will be of minimal importance.......but remember what happens in London often ends-up happening in other parts of the country.......(Bristol, Oxford and other cities).
If you use the M1, M2, M11, M40, M3, M4 and M25 motorways, even if simply skirting London perhaps en-route to the Speedfest event at Brands Hatch you are at potentially (from August 29th) at risk of getting picking-up a £12.50 charge if you 'venture' within the M25.
Even if not intending to go within the M25 a police diversion following a road closure could 'win' you an unwanted £12.50 charge, plus a rather large fine if ignored.

Latest news.
Transport for London (TFL, run by the London mayors office have legal control of all traffic lights within the encircling M25 in London. London boroughs have no control of traffic lights on major road routes.
On a more positive note London boroughs 'can' refuse TFL permission to erect any signage relating to the charge zone within their respective boroughs. A number (including my own, London Borough of Havering) have in fact refused TFL permission to do this.
This seemingly will legally effect TLF's ability to legally operate their cameras on entrance roads coming in to respective boroughs. Essex and Surrey County Councils have also refused to allow any signage to be erected leading in to London. It may effective reduce TFL's operational area of control.
Several Conservative London boroughs plus protest groups have tabled legal documents quoting TFL using incorrect figures relating to his vehicular pollution claims and other questionable processes.
A number of MP's have asked the chairman of the Conservative party to table an amendment to TFL's plans and allow individual London boroughs to decide themselves whether the ULEX expansion should be allowed in their individual boroughs. Whilst most of the Labour controlled boroughs are effectively 'towing the line' and not opposing fellow Labour Mayors dictate a number of senior Labour MP's have asked for the charges to be re-thought or put back.
Of course if your Vette was manufactured before 1983or after 2003 you shouldn't be affected...........
IMG_20230214_135917.jpg

Last edited:

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Last news, something happening in the Kent region too. They want to stop people to drive cars. This kind of obsession with cars mobility is a crazy remedy for the global warming and start to take a weird turn, right wing and left wing politician running for the UK idiot awards in my eyes.

Last edited:

Roscobbc

With the refusal of Essex, Surrey and (I believe) Herts county council's to allow TFL erecting ULEZ 'countdown' warning signs, several upcoming legal challenges and as of yesterday rumours of UK government possibly blocking the expansion one could be forgiven for ever thinking that the lunatics are very, very close to 'taking over the asylum'......
I could go on to apologise for a thread that is perhaps meaningless to many of our members in other perhaps more rural parts of the UK.
Some of you will never, ever be affected in your home locations..........but, what about if you travel to see relatives, friends or maybe a car show? - will you be unaffected?......perhaps not. Traffic schemes have already come to some Cities in the UK, Oxford has (or is going to introduce) a real crazy anti- car movement system - others will follow.........

Last edited:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Parts of central Bristol (near-ish me) are ULEZ now too. Not that I go there much, once a year for the Christmas market. So we just took the wife's car instead. Did consider the 68 Vette for a "take that ULEZ!" moment, until the cold hard facts of "driving my old diesel car to Bristol + ULEZ charge" costs less than "driving Vette to Bristol". :cry:
Collecting a couple of pianos in bristol on friday. Stop outside the shop in stokes croft, will be loaded in 15/20 mins, that stop now costs 9 quid 🙄

antijam

CCCUK Member
Collecting a couple of pianos in bristol on friday. Stop outside the shop in stokes croft, will be loaded in 15/20 mins, that stop now costs 9 quid 🙄
Is that from Mickelburgh's? Sixty years ago I used to live just off the Gloucester Road in Bristol. Much of the centre of town has changed significantly over the years but Stokes Croft has remained determinedly downmarket. I can still drive all my cars through the town without charge - although most of them are just old, not 'clean'. ;)

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Is that from Mickelburgh's? Sixty years ago I used to live just off the Gloucester Road in Bristol. Much of the centre of town has changed significantly over the years but Stokes Croft has remained determinedly downmarket. I can still drive all my cars through the town without charge - although most of them are just old, not 'clean'. ;)
yes , m’burghs, have worked with them for quite a few years if they have pianos to or from cornwall. Nice bunch of guys. 👍

Roscobbc

Nothing like promoting trade in town centres is there ??? :mad:
The most stupid plan that's being rolled out in some cities and boroughs both here in the UK and in Europe is the "15 minute city" plan. This is where a town or city is broken-up in to several regions - each region has it own series of essential shops and services (like doctors etc) that can supposedly cover all households within each region. The idea being that you will use the shops and services within your region, travelling there by foot, bicycle or public transport. If choosing to use to visit the shops a car you will be charged if you want to enter other regions.............but not to travel out of the city. How crazy is that? - what if your local shop is too expensive, doesn't stock what you want, closed, whatever...........the lunatics are 'most definately' starting to run the assylum!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The most stupid plan that's being rolled out in some cities and boroughs both here in the UK and in Europe is the "15 minute city" plan. This is where a town or city is broken-up in to several regions - each region has it own series of essential shops and services (like doctors etc) that can supposedly cover all households within each region. The idea being that you will use the shops and services within your region, travelling there by foot, bicycle or public transport. If choosing to use to visit the shops a car you will be charged if you want to enter other regions.............but not to travel out of the city. How crazy is that? - what if your local shop is too expensive, doesn't stock what you want, closed, whatever...........the lunatics are 'most definately' starting to run the assylum!
They have been running the Looney Bin for years in my opinion and feel like I am the one that`s sane ! :mad:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
It should be noted though that the media has decided that the 15 minute city thing also includes the car ban in the definition of "15 minute city". But the original idea of the 15 minute city is as you described above - able to get to most of your daily needs within 15 minutes. That itself is a fab goal - I myself live in a small town out the sticks and it itself is like a 15 minute city - I have doctor, pharmacy, multiple shops, garage, petrol station, vets, 2 breweries, DIY shop, butcher, fire station, old persons care home, multiple churches, cafes, play park, swimming pool, infant/primary school, secondary school, 2 pubs etc etc all easily within 15 minute walk. Thus I hardly have to drive much nowadays, and surprisingly I quite like having pretty much everything nearby.

Alas, some pillock has also decided to tack on to the original 15 minute city plan the option of charging for use of the car as you stated above. That is a ridiculous add on for the reasons you state. People need choice and the ability to move around, and they mostly do that by car. Penalising them for that is just another money making scam for these people. I don't agree with that part of it at all.

Roscobbc

It should be noted though that the media has decided that the 15 minute city thing also includes the car ban in the definition of "15 minute city". But the original idea of the 15 minute city is as you described above - able to get to most of your daily needs within 15 minutes. That itself is a fab goal - I myself live in a small town out the sticks and it itself is like a 15 minute city - I have doctor, pharmacy, multiple shops, garage, petrol station, vets, 2 breweries, DIY shop, butcher, fire station, old persons care home, multiple churches, cafes, play park, swimming pool, infant/primary school, secondary school, 2 pubs etc etc all easily within 15 minute walk. Thus I hardly have to drive much nowadays, and surprisingly I quite like having pretty much everything nearby.

Alas, some pillock has also decided to tack on to the original 15 minute city plan the option of charging for use of the car as you stated above. That is a ridiculous add on for the reasons you state. People need choice and the ability to move around, and they mostly do that by car. Penalising them for that is just another money making scam for these people. I don't agree with that part of it at all.
The once 'stand alone 'town' we live in was adopted along with two other 'towns' back in the 1950's as a greater London borough. Originally villages hundreds of years ago the the main areas were gradually built-up with housing over the last century or so and now are almost as one. We even have a working windmill locally. Local transport is quite good and we can easiy choose which shopping area to use. And, yes we also prefer to walk (and have the time to do that) or take the 10/15 minute bus/train journey to the nearest town centre (which include several supermarket options) unless we have a heavy load to take-back home or the weather is bad.......its more like 25 minute city here but (for us) the main reason to have remained living in outer London.