Unusual noise from exhaust

Landers174

CCCUK Member
Question for the hive mind.

There is another noise coming through the exhaust of my C6 besides the usual sound, an irregular "puh puh puh" sound. I've put a video on the club Facebook page for reference, can't upload it here. The car is occasionally a bit sluggish when accelerating too. Not sure if the two are linked. Has anybody here experienced anything similar?

I've had it suggested that this might be down to a bad spark plug, however I'm open to other suggestions.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Does the sound seem to come from the exhaust or rather something of suspension, tranny or transaxle ?

Another case of making use of OBD-II scanner and let the car tell you what has degraded
Could be running too rich or lean, misfires or engine knock but the scanner would help debug and focus
what is going on

You could pull a couple of sparkplugs and look at the tips as to color would help if too lean or rich

Then all the normal maintenance issues, MAF, aircleaner, throttlebody dirty
Carbon build up needing cleaning products put in gas and engine oils
If you have not done any of these, the best is to do so

Landers174

CCCUK Member
Definitely coming out of the exhaust, can hear it while the car is stationary and in motion. Have plugged my OBD-II in but no codes have been appeared... yet.

Thanks for the suggestions, going to start with the spark plugs and see if that improves things.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
IF you have a full OBDII scanner that allows to see what engine is doing
Look at the long and short term fuel trims
IF running too rich the values would be negative, more negative the richer engine is running
IF running lean the values will be positive numbers, the greater they are, the leaner the AFR is
Check the two front O2 sensors, most times both will report about 0.500 mVolts

You think it is the exhaust gas makeup or common is the rubber bushing of the hangers of exhaust go bad
Also, an FYI, known for the end links of rear swaybar go bad and make odd sounds