Update on car search

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
To stop me upgrading my Yamaha FS1E to a Kawasaki KH250 dad bought me a 1969 Shelby GT500 on the understanding NO BIKE. That was in 1977, and the Shelby cost £600.

Roscobbc

Ross, you were poor child back then or tight and should of dug deeper?
Back then £80 could get you a fair old lumpod a car - a year earlier I had bought a 1960 50K miles ex-chauffer driven Mk9 Jag for £35. Ok so I had to spend a similar amount to make it kinda roadworthy........but £80 for a side valve 4 door six pot.....no thanks. I waited a few years, went through much Brit stuff and bought a '65 Galaxie 289 hardtop for £180. Not my first V8 (that was a Daimler V8) but my first American V8.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Back then £80 could get you a fair old lump of a car - a year earlier I had bought a 1960 50K miles ex-chauffer driven Mk9 Jag for £35. Ok so I had to spend a similar amount to make it kinda roadworthy........but £80 for a side valve 4 door six pot.....no thanks. I waited a few years, went through much Brit stuff and bought a '65 Galaxie 289 hardtop for £180. Not my first V8 (that was a Daimler V8) but my first American V8.
Wow good choice. What colour?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
As we used to say ( well dad did) “ lots of flash for a little cash”

Old XJ6’s were two a penny once a few years old.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Was down Canary Wharf earlier today, had a 1970 J reg E Type coupe in front of me, it looked soo small. It had its Webasto roof fully open, just cruising along. Looked real good.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
My daughter got her 2014 Fiat 500 when she was 15 and registered it in her name. You don’t have to insure a car to own it. James I think you are better off buying a car now, working on it then insure it when you’re 25 otherwise when you are 25 your insurance will be cheap but a car may be way out of reach.
Go get the car james, just owning it and learning to fettle it will be a blast. Keep looking for insurance , you will find a policy / company somewhere. Dont know if a black box would work on a pre ECU car but worth enquiring , good luck, dont give up on yr dream👍