Valve seals

mickn

CCCUK Member
Looks like mine need replacing on my 73, anyone have any idea roughly what I might be looking at cost wise or hours involved to get these done, I know the actual seals and rocker gaskets are cheap.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I think it’ll be head off job on a Vette, unless someone can advise otherwise, as I don’t think there’s room to get leverage on the springs.

Corvette

Well-known user
Rather than using a spring compressor I bought a secondhand Chevy tool that screws to the rocker stud then the arm gives you the leverage to compress spring enough to get the collets out. I will try and find it,

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Rather than using a spring compressor I bought a secondhand Chevy tool that screws to the rocker stud then the arm gives you the leverage to compress spring enough to get the collets out. I will try and find it,

Have you got clearance to the inner wing?

I’ve seen them used but not on a Vette.

Corvette

Well-known user
Mine is something like that but old and not shiney! A bit less involved old school style. I don’t think the inner wings are a problem as the handle is high up. Let me find it and take a pic.

Vetman

CCCUK Member
Ed China replaced a set of Corvette valve seals in Wheeler Dealer episode. From memory, he used a lever to compress the springs but I believe he used compressed air through the plug hole to keep the valve against the seat for each valve in turn. This was done insitu without removing the heads.

Vetman

CCCUK Member
Further to my reply: Wheeler Dealers Series 13, Episode 8.

Attachments

• 00B71A0C-2A29-4798-9FB6-179CA845C852.jpeg
    00B71A0C-2A29-4798-9FB6-179CA845C852.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 6

Corvette

Well-known user
Mr China is a professional, I make do with stuffing as much rope/cord into the spark plug hole as I can. It still holds the valve up .

mickn

CCCUK Member
Really appreciating all the replies here, I have someone who has said he will do the job for me, he mentioned compressed air