Welcome back

antijam

CCCUK Member
As occasionally happens with many websites, the club site was down yesterday. Usually one is left in limbo wondering in frustration whether it's a problem at your end, their end or just good old Sod's Law in action again. So, it was refreshing to receive a (personalised) email from the Chairman apologising for the problem and advising that it would be up again this morning - which it is.
So refreshing to be kept in the picture for a change - thanks Peter. :)(y)

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
Message from Ben Harvey (CCCUK web support) this morning:-

"This weekend's problem with the CCCUK website is solved. I'm really sorry this happened.

In order for us to serve the website securely and prevent users seeing security warnings in their browser we purchase an SSL certificate for the site each year. I've been getting warnings from our hosting company about the expiring certificate but they've been going to my CCCUK address, not my company address. Because of this I had assumed that they weren't relevant since the current certificate was part of our corporate hosting account, so I've been ignoring the warnings.

It turns out that they were going to my CCCUK address instead of my company address only because of the idiosyncracies of our hosting partner's billing system, and in fact these were legitimate warnings about the live certificate's expiry.

While working with our hosting partner's tech support team this morning to get the certificate renewed in double-quick time I've moved the CCCUK's domain name into our company account so that future expiry warnings will come to my company email and it'll be obvious that they're legitimate. This won't, therefore, happen again.

Again, I'm sorry for the interruption in the reliable hosting of the website. Please pass my apologies on to the CCCUK's members for the downtime."