West Somerset Railway Steam Rally

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Thankfully not. As you can see below, the show went on and it was very hot (only a few photos so as not to spam the thread). The only steam item that didn't run was the WSR's little steam loco that runs up and down the line giving free brake van rides. This year it was replaced with a diesel. In other news, the Britannia went past on the main line (viewable from the show field) whilst the steam engines were doing their arena parade. Saw it rush by and it was tooting its whistle a lot for us. Alas, I was too slow on the camera, and to be fair it was long range so it wouldn't have made for a good photo on my phone camera.

Really good day out, had loads of fun and enjoyed all the exhibits there. The model section is good, and the working vehicles is good too (I've included a photo of the steam powered circular saw below). Loads of classic cars, and the Corvette got plenty of attention including by the commentators at the parade arena.

Might also have a future C3 owner too, as a nice chap approached me at the Vette saying he wanted to get one, but wasn't sure if he'd be able to get in it (issues with his legs). Mine has sidepipes, which makes access harder, and he just managed to get in. With a non-sidepipe model, he'll easily be fine. He was quite chuffed to know he would fit in it. It was also really sweet that apparently a small boy saw my car go around the arena and got so excited by it he hunted it down in the classic car section afterwards so he could sit in it. Alas, I wasn't with the car at the time as went off for a pee. My brother had returned to the car though from watching the arena parade, and let him sit in it and so forth.

20220806_140228.jpg
20220806_150003.jpg20220806_112226.jpg
20220806_161807.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Some great shots there Captain . I love to see traction engines powering log cutters etc as they were designed to do . No such thing as H&S at Work in those days . 70000 `Britannia ` rushing past the show must have made quite a sight . I just love the sound of the Britannia Class locos chime whistles . It was hauling the `English Riviera Express` from Wolverhampton to Kingswear . I am amazed that main line steam tours are still running during this hot dry spell . The powers that be usually get panicy in this weather and introduce a `steam ban `. We are hoping to get sister loco ( or should it be brother loco :unsure: ) 70013 ` Oliver Cromwell ` back on main line duties next year if we get the boiler back from Tysley Locomotive Works in time . Sure hope so as we need the revenue income to help pay for the overhauls of 30477 and 45305 .70013OliverCromwell0209.jpg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Thanks Chuffers. The steam powered circular log saw is my favourite. Quite amazing how quickly it saws the logs up too. Nearby there were a lot of stationary (not steam) engines too. I love those old engines a they make a wonderful noise, and the people putting them on display always have something fun they power with it - normally water pumps, but we had lots of different stuff this time, including my favourite of a "back and forth" saw used to chop logs through their width (instead of down their length of the circular saw).

Didn't realise Britannia was heading to Kingswear that day (thanks), but presumed it was on a day tour somewhere. The WSR at the moment have a self applied steam ban at the moment on their railways, which I think ends at the end of today. So they've been using all their diesels to keep the service going.