What have YOU being doing or are you planning to do with your Vette?

Roscobbc

It works as you described but on 2 cylinders per bank , every alternate one so it runs as a V4 until extra power is called for .
Make the most of all that Mopar hi-tech - parent company (Stellantis) are planning to shelve much of Chryslers performance products......starting with the Charger, there will be no Challenger Hellcat for 2023..........

The auto company that some Americans may still refer to as Chrysler is now part of a conglomerate called Stellantis NV (STLA) based in the Netherlands. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles ("FCA") officially merged with PSA Group, owner of the Peugeot automobile brand, on Jan. 16, 2021.1 The combination makes Stellantis the world's fourth-largest automobile maker by volume, with 15 vehicle brands under one roof.2
Plans for the merger were announced in 2019 but were delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. At the time of the merger, Fiat Chrysler vehicle brands included Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Fiat Professional, Jeep, Ram, Alfa Romeo, Abarth, Lancia, and Maserati. PSA Group brands included Citroen, DS, Opel, Peugeot, and Vauxhall.3 It is not yet certain which of these brands will survive the merger.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
My Grand Cherokee will be due classic vehicle status soon and a dieing breed of proper MOPAR and real off road capability rather than EV `soft roaders ` . It`s now nearly 16 years old with a genuine 68,500 miles and a fully documented service history and every MOT certificate from it`s previous lady owner then in my care for the last 5 years . It passed its last MOT with the lowest emissions test . Not bad for a 16 year old gas guzzler on its original exhaust , cat , egr valve and lamba sensor . :D
As for Stealantis etc etc . Motor manufacturing will be one big global brand soon , then there will no market competition . ☹️

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Variable displacement ? How does that work? I’m guessing shutting off fuel and spark to a couple of cylinders. ? 👍

In short the lifters have electronic solenoids that when GM wants cylinders not functioning the command the liters so that they
are not moving the push rods
GM began using this as DOD in the 1990s for pickups and SUVs as attempt to better the fuel mileage
This has stunk as several class action lawsuits by vehicle owners as damage to the valvetrain on the cylinders being turned on and off
so through the years GMs keeps renaming this

Also, what happens to those cylinders get high carbon buildup which causes higher cylinder pressures and induces more engine knock
Worse with Direct Injection (DI) since injectors are spraying directly into cylinders that means the fuel is no longer spraying on valves so they also
have carbon buildup and why GM had to require a Top Tier gas makeup to help keep tops of pistons cleaner

Active Fuel Management (formerly known as displacement on demand (DoD)) is a trademarked name for the automobile variable displacement technology from General Motors.
It allows a V6 or V8 engine to "turn off" half of the cylinders under light-load conditions to improve fuel economy.

Worse now with the new naming called DFM and the PCM can command up to all but one cylinder off :-(

For my tuning customers they ask me to turn this crap off so always using all cylinders

Roscobbc

Much like Germany lost WW1 and WW2 but 'won' the financial and manufacturing 'war' - Japan, much the same. Allies 'won' WW1 and WW2 but took in excess of 30 years to economically recover.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Much like Germany lost WW1 and WW2 but 'won' the financial and manufacturing 'war' - Japan, much the same. Allies 'won' WW1 and WW2 but took in excess of 30 years to economically recover.
Yes , even rationing ended in Germany before Great Britain after WW2 . Go figure that one out !!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I know what you are refurring to , it was just such a random post with no relevance to the topic . Plus it was definitely not Kris Kristofferson`s finest hour !

antijam

CCCUK Member
Took my C3 out for a breath of fresh air recently and realised very quickly that one cylinder was not contributing to the party and was just along for the ride. Back in the garage with the engine chugging away lumpily my IR thermometer quickly identified the inactive pot as No. 5. Checked and remade plug and distributor lead connections but no improvement. Removed plug and lead and tested resistance - both were within spec. Replaced both but still no contribution from No 5. However, looking at the leads in the dizzy cap Nos 5 and 7 seemed intimately close and I wondered if this was giving rise to cross-firing.

P1370559.JPG

I'd recently shortened the leads to reach the plugs from above rather than from below which is what they had been designed for and had been perhaps a bit over-enthusiastic in my tidying up? Anyway I rerouted leads 5 and 7 slightly to increase separation and Bingo! , No 5 now joined the party. Shows it doesn't pay to put tidiness before functionality. :oops:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I've decided not to bother installing the passenger side mirror.
You are probably young enough to have good neck rotation for reversing James. Some of us have joined the old duffer category of vette owners!😩
In view of this and the bad rear vision , I fitted the second mirror, definately helps but I still managed to back the 72 into my beetle!!💥😱😬😩
Luckily those chrome bumpers are strong and well placed and the beetle bumper is soft and forgiving so no damage to either. 🥵👍

richie500

CCCUK Member
@richie500 Did you get any photos of that car meet?
Sorry James, we didnt take any photos, bit of a washout, weather was fantastic however the turn out was poor by our standards due to most people having other commitments, me personally i should have been in Euro Disney (was going to say just Paris to appear more poncy ) bailed at last minute due to not worth the hassle for just 3 days. The Pub was a major let down - our leader let them know we were coming a week prior, however the owner let us turn up and then tell us he didn't have a chef on so no food. So we had a coffee and chat and went off to find food. Next year we are going to get a new venue with great views so I will be posting more pictures and hopefully video's as well.