What have YOU being doing or are you planning to do with your Vette?

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Had to pull the Rad' today as the bottom drain was weeping from the rad main part, only slightly but enough to warrant pulling it. Now in a dilemma as i use a guy at work for all my welding who says he can braze it with silver and repair it for around £80-£100 but the rest although ok is looking tired, or do i buy a new ally one for around £400 and fit the electric aftermarket fans? Anyone have any views or have done this successfully.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Very good point Roscbbc ! I regularly check my hoses and connections before and after each trip anyway in case a joint needs nipping up a bit . The consequences of a leak don`t bare thinking about :eek: . I had mine made up to order from Competition Supplies at Silverstone Circuit using race spec hose and fittings with a 500 psi rated working pressure and 3000 psi burst pressure .

mickn

CCCUK Member
Had to pull the Rad' today as the bottom drain was weeping from the rad main part, only slightly but enough to warrant pulling it. Now in a dilemma as i use a guy at work for all my welding who says he can braze it with silver and repair it for around £80-£100 but the rest although ok is looking tired, or do i buy a new ally one for around £400 and fit the electric aftermarket fans? Anyone have any views or have done this successfully.
I have a recently discovered weeping rad problem on my 73, am hoping to take it to someone this week to look at a possible repair. If it can't be repaired where are you looking to get an ally rad from if you don't mind me asking?

maxuk15

CCCUK Member
Brake line now free from hose. TA removed from car, handbrake shoes removed ready for unbolting carrier unit... But, can we shift the spindle nut?? Can we heck! A buddy is coming round tomorrow with an oxyacetylene torch, to put a bit of heat into it! That should be fun! Can't believe that I'd managed to get it so tight when I fitted the flange a few years ago.

But, a plus again is that the bushes on the second TA are even worse than the first! Talke about "shot"
View attachment 8686

In case I go up in flames tomorrow - a Happy New Year to all! :D 🍾
That looks very familiar Stephen !!!!!
A lot of play in there.........................

BobbyV8

CCCUK Member
Just taken delivery of a pair of T85 headlights to replace the T84's which hopefully will improve the night vision a bit from what it is now.

After that I will be replacing the standard exhaust (nothing wrong with it just a bit quiet) with an axle back system. Not 100% decided yet which make but will probably be a Billy Boat PRT Quad round tip. Not sure whether to get an X pipe as well or leave it and fit the exhaust first and see what it's like.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210113-201604.png
    Screenshot_20210113-201604.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I do not have the Alloy Rad, but have the Spal twin electric Fans

kentvette

CCCUK Member
The trailing arm replacement saga continues.......... After something of a delay - the impossible to remove spindle nut, the discovery that said spindle had been "finessed" in the past and was best replaced, the issues around "the brexit-deal-that-isn't that added delays (and customs charges) to the parts, and a slower pace of work as June is recovering from her second hip replacement(!) - the car is back together, sort of! The alignment was "fun" as working out how many and which thickness shims I needed to add or remove was tricky - a lot of time spent with a calculator, not to mention the initial set-up of lines etc - but I eventually have it pretty much right, I reckon. Oh and I discovered that the new shim set may well, in theory, be enough for a car, but in practice, you may well need a few more of certain sizes than the kit supplies! Thankfully, most of my old shims cleaned up quite well, as I had to use a couple!

Now I just have the Sword of Damocles that is the brake bleeding to do - hopefully tomorrow, when we will find if the ridiculously tiny bleed screws are seized!

With warm and sunny weather forecast for the forthcoming weekend I'd like to think we can finish the work and get the old car out of its slumber!

97BlackC5

CCCUK Member
J1K90j2l.jpg

Getting the magnesium wheels refurbished after finally finding someone who has experience in stripping & refurbishing magnesium wheels. Hopefully picking them up with new Kumho rubber attached end of this week.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The trailing arm replacement saga continues.......... After something of a delay - the impossible to remove spindle nut, the discovery that said spindle had been "finessed" in the past and was best replaced, the issues around "the brexit-deal-that-isn't that added delays (and customs charges) to the parts, and a slower pace of work as June is recovering from her second hip replacement(!) - the car is back together, sort of! The alignment was "fun" as working out how many and which thickness shims I needed to add or remove was tricky - a lot of time spent with a calculator, not to mention the initial set-up of lines etc - but I eventually have it pretty much right, I reckon. Oh and I discovered that the new shim set may well, in theory, be enough for a car, but in practice, you may well need a few more of certain sizes than the kit supplies! Thankfully, most of my old shims cleaned up quite well, as I had to use a couple!

Now I just have the Sword of Damocles that is the brake bleeding to do - hopefully tomorrow, when we will find if the ridiculously tiny bleed screws are seized!

With warm and sunny weather forecast for the forthcoming weekend I'd like to think we can finish the work and get the old car out of its slumber!
Sounds like you have glimpsed the light at the end of the tunnel , hope it`s not a train coming the other way !! Good luck (y)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
J1K90j2l.jpg

Getting the magnesium wheels refurbished after finally finding someone who has experience in stripping & refurbishing magnesium wheels. Hopefully picking them up with new Kumho rubber attached end of this week.
Post some piccies when you get them back on the car .

kentvette

CCCUK Member
The last time I saw those wheels they looked almost new! Someone's a bit of a perfectionist I think..... :D :D
Yes, pics afterwards please!

97BlackC5

CCCUK Member
The last time I saw those wheels they looked almost new! Someone's a bit of a perfectionist I think..... :D :D
Yes, pics afterwards please!
Unfortunately they had started to corrode on the inside of the wheels, you are right the face of the wheels was almost perfect but inside each wheel needed refurbishing. It will be interesting to see how they are when I get them back (should be this w/e hopefully). Obviously keeping them original colour, or as close as we can possibly get.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
A nice day here, so we were able to take the Corvette out for its first drive since the end of November! No brake system leaks, nothing fell off, it drove nicely and tracked straight! just under 100 miles on some lovely deserted roads that we don't often drive.
Back home, I confirmed nothing was loose and I re-checked the alignment - all good, so I'm happy!:cool:

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
A little more done and a very shiny, very orange underbelly. My old oil pan had been battered and welded so may times, had to scrap it. Tasty new Bilsteins on the front too.

Attachments

• IMG_8189.jpg
    IMG_8189.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8190.jpg
    IMG_8190.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8191.jpg
    IMG_8191.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8192.jpg
    IMG_8192.jpg