What have YOU being doing or are you planning to do with your Vette?

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I need to get mine out of the tight fitting garage on Sunday and I shall probably give the battery a little bit of a charge rather than overwork the alternator, as the Vette has been locked down for a few months and I shall increase the air pressure in the tyres and then put it back in the garage as I am short of time weather permitting to take it for a run this weekend

- I need to deal with a puncture on the Wife's Range Rover Sport, we came out the other morning to go to work in it and a rear was almost flat, I didn't have the time to deal with it then, so I just pumped the tyre up a little to regain the shape and put the jack under neath and raised the car a touch to protect the tyre, because by the time I got back from work the side walls would have been crushed. Hope the tyre is ok they are new P Zeros.

Not much to say about my Vette - But what about YOU and your Vette?

Last edited:

antijam

CCCUK Member
Well - since you ask........
I'm trying to tidy up the windshield/hinge post weatherstrip on my '71 convertible. The original weatherstrip was a one piece moulding that ran from the top of the windshield down to the top of the hinge post (A pillar) outlined here....

Capture.JPG

This is now available as a two piece replacement if required with the short length on the hinge post separate from the screen side. At some time my seals have been replaced this way. My screen side seals are in good condition so I intend to replace only the small sections which have had liberal and indiscriminate applications of gunk by some previous owner - presumably in an attempt to solve a leak problem?

Anyway, removing the three small screws that attach these lower seals allows me to peel them off and after removing most of the gunk I'm presented with this sight....

W.jpg

The picture is the same on both sides. I Know my birdcage is not perfect but it does appear to be structurally sound so I'm wondering what the area indicated by the red arrow is. Is it the result of severe corrosion or was it perhaps meant to be there - a drain perhaps? The missing section is identical on the other side of the car so it seems somewhat coincidental that rust would produce the same effect in two different places (unless of course it's a corrosion hot-spot! ). So I scan the web in search of a birdcage piccie that might reveal the original shape in this area and eventually come across this....

W1a.JPG

...posted by a guy who had replaced this weatherstrip (on a car rather tidier than mine). It shows exactly the same scallop as on my car, which still doesn't really tell me whether it's a drain or a universal rust spot.

Can anyone confirm one way or another?

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Well since you ask...(😂) A couple of months ago, I changed out the turn signal switch in the column. It wouldn't stay on or if it did, wouldn't cancel. Anyway, it looked a bit knackered & the 5 eared piece was all busted up. All done seemed fine, nice crisp action. Then a few weeks ago, a spring/ping noise could be heard as I turned the wheel. Decided to go back in, but before that happened, the main beam dip would not work. Read up & it pointed to the pivot piece on the inner end of the lever, which can break, or the pin drops out. So back into the column only to find the pivot is fine. Discovered that the actual dip switch is a bit worn, due to the clip missing, the plunger is coming out too far & has worn the socket which the rod sits in. The rod is sitting on the outer rim & sort of works. Decided to renew the column upper bearing whilst there as the race looked a bit thin & the black plastic ball bearing retainer looked a bit shagged out. Just waiting on parts, so decided to paint it a nice shade of Delicate Mocha!! The lounge of course!!!PXL_20201021_142623324.jpg

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Ah well, I've just ordered a pair of new rear trailing arms and ancillary bits and bobs for the old '78. It's been needing the job done for a good few years really, but I've kept putting it off, despite having changed out every other part of the rear end!:mad: Of course, had I done it all at the same time I would have had more room to work in, less other bits in the way and, I would have had nice new callipers that have not had the bleed screws nice and tight in them for some years! How cheered I was was when Scott at Corvette Kingdom told me to to go carefully, as new callipers are like hens teeth at the moment! :eek: The parts will probably arrive in a couple of weeks, so I doubt I'll be doing much before Christmas. If I'm lucky the car might just be ready for the Corvette Club France spring rally in April!:rolleyes::)

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
'Not a lot' in 3 words......fortunately my '07 needs for nothing (famous last words!?) but I whang a charge into the battery every 10-14 days and give it a 10-mile run every coupla weeks. I thinks it's the best way to keep everything in working order (hydraulics, cooling system, transmission etc.).
Other than that, it sits in the garage under a dust cover.
J.C. (1911)

monty

CCCUK regional rep
Couple of weeks ago took the C7 Z06 out for a little drive to Stratford upon Avon, nice drive on the M40 motorway until some ??????? in a Audi (model ?) thought it was funny to hang on to the rear end and pester me, i looked at the wife who was now having a little sleep so down went the gas pedal resulting in the Audi getting very small in the rear view mirror, i wont say how fast i was going but it was quick with not a lot that would have kept up with me, oh how nice to have all that power on tap. Corvette 1------- Audi 0.

Corvette

Well-known user
Antijam, the hole should be there but yours looks like it’s rusted through towards the fender or is that drip fibreglass? Looks like the the the entire A post area could do with prep and Fathom green?

I’m spending as much of lockdown as I can on the red car, 536568DC-0161-42BE-89BF-0C0B1C0A6196.jpegjust need to find some bearing shims then it should be back on the ground. Then it’s tidy up time.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Antijam, the hole should be there but yours looks like it’s rusted through towards the fender or is that drip fibreglass? Looks like the the the entire A post area could do with prep and Fathom green?

Thanks for that Corvette. I've tidied up the edges of the scallops with a file and the metalwork seems quite sound. You're right, the area does need a good clean down and a respray before refitting the weatherstripping - the green on '71 cars was 'Brands Hatch green' (o_O), 'Fathom green' was '69.

Nick B

CCCUK Member
Took my '71 out for an hour yesterday to blow out the cobwebs, blew my own cobwebs out as well because I had the tops off and the windows down! Thoroughly enjoyed it and even saw a '70 Dodge Challenger on the the road.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Couple of weeks ago took the C7 Z06 out for a little drive to Stratford upon Avon, nice drive on the M40 motorway until some ??????? in a Audi (model ?) thought it was funny to hang on to the rear end and pester me, i looked at the wife who was now having a little sleep so down went the gas pedal resulting in the Audi getting very small in the rear view mirror, i wont say how fast i was going but it was quick with not a lot that would have kept up with me, oh how nice to have all that power on tap. Corvette 1------- Audi 0.
Torque Speaks!

Slick

Well-known user
Fitted a Borla "S" mk2 exhaust to my C6 and ordered engine oil and filter so I can service it next week , and took it out for its weekly clear out this morning , Sunday.

stealthyflatfish

Well-known user
Well as your asking, just got mine back from a local classic garage with painting facilities, had a bubble and some scabby paint around the extended rear wheel arch, which I wanted to get fixed, so I've been keeping an eye on the garage and noticed several Lotus's going in and out, so bit the bullet and shoved the old girl in. Took it in first thing Monday and picked it up Thursday evening all sorted, rear quarter panel sorted and sprayed, good paint match, they worked on it constantly, none of this oh pop back in two weeks time crap.
Some jobs over winter, small oil leak back/bottom of engine, could be pan gasket or rear main seal will investigate further and new valve stem seals suspect burning a bit of oil. That should keep us busy.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I haven't specifically done anything TO my Vette recently, but I have finally got it out of its horrid tiny council garage and into its new home at my new house. Yes, the garage is a little cluttered, but I've only just moved in and I'm told by the boss that decorating the house is more important than the garage.
Anyway - tiny council garage width at door opening point (aka the narrowest point) was 200cm. My old single garage at my old house was 215cm and much easier to put Vette in there. New double garage - each "narrowest point" at the opening is 245cm. Much happier putting it into the garage now.
(for info - the red car is my 1994 FTO GPX Mivec. Had it donkeys years and its my project / play car now as its not currently on the road - nought wrong with it though, just not on the road as saving money for new house and Corvette stuff etc)

Redlevel

Well-known user
Not done anything except thrash it around Ayrshire's coast roads all year. I didn't buy it to sit in the garage..

Burst an autobox coolant pipe yesterday so I'll sort that out and change the Dexron 111 and filter while its up in the air..

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I can't get to the Vette, the business is locked down but I am there doing necessary stuff 24/7
Can't wait to get it out and blow the cobwebs behind me - need a dry day - I miss it!

Redlevel

Well-known user
I'm replacing my autobox coolant lines and changing the ATF and filter.
I was going to make a bigmouth frontal scoop but I dont want to be slicing up any creatures I hit on the forest roads.
I already removed some decaying fittings and panels from under the nose and in front of the radiator which I'll replace with unseen mesh to keep stones and crap out.