What if we (or someone) knew back then what we know now?

Roscobbc

"What if we knew then.......what we know now"?

Just looking at a typical build sticker for the 1968 Corvette and noting that the add-on price (over the top of the standard 300hp 327) for the L36 390 hp 427 engine option which my car came with was $200 over ticket price and thinking.......what if the original buyer had 'ticked' the L88 engine option @ $947.......wonder what that would have done for 'todays' supposed value? - of course that would presume that the purchaser 'knew' exactly what he or she was doing and managing to extract the required information from the supplying dealer.......together with the things he couldn't have (like cooling fan and heater etc)

1968 Engine Options
L36 427ci, 390hp Engine 200.15
L68 427ci, 400hp Engine 305.50
L71 427ci, 435hp Engine 437.10
L75 327ci, 300hp Engine (Standard Engine)
L79 327ci, 350hp Engine 105.35
L88 427ci, 430hp Engine 947.90

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Or perhaps this one
IMG_1536.jpeg

I of 20 1967 L88’s $3,850:000.00 in 2014

Cost in 67, car $4388, motor $1000 then a few extras say $400 Total $5700. Wow, what a investment that would have been if the original buyer had kept it.

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
A few years ago, a chap bought his 1971 Plymouth Cuda Hemi convertible back at auction for $3 million plus. He originally paid under $5k when he bought it brand new. Still, he had a big smile on his face when he won it .

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
As a 68 327/300hp owner, it would have been nice if the first owner had give $100 or $200 more for a slightly more powerful engine. Still, having a base 327/300 must mean my car is rare.... right? :ROFLMAO:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It does make you wonder sometimes what the original buyer of the car was all about.
I suppose it was all about money. But as most cars were bought on finance would a few extra options make that much difference to the monthly payment.
My own 65 has power steering, but no power brakes. Go figure.

Roscobbc

Same for my '68 - power steering, F41 'Slalom' suspension.........no power brakes!
Worst car I ever owned (and once I had driven it......I immediately sold it) was a '70 Mustang convertible. The gentleman who spec'd it and bought it new after moving to the 'states 'ticked' the Pony interior, electric roof, body decals.....manual gearbox (but three speed) drum brakes (but power) and worse of all a 200 cu in 6 banger engine........it was horrible to drive.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think that the 6’s were always sold on the fuel economy ticket. Tho in 1971 gas could be had stateside for 12cents gallon ( US sized) it hardly seems worth it.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That’s what I always like from cars supplied by Lendrum and Hartman, they were always fully loaded. All power options. The only thing that they didn’t spec on cars was A/C. If you wanted A/C it had to be a special order. This didn’t apply to Cadillacs tho, they did have A/C . A/C was a bit of a mystery to us in the UK in the 60’s and 70’s, hardly anybody new anything about it. Many US cars just had the belt removed if it proved troublesome.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
My 68 was also specced with power steering and power windows and a 4 speed manual (over the standard 3 speed manual for 1968). But again, no power brakes. Though I have retrofitted them in to my car and I find it vastly better to drive because of it.

Roscobbc

My 68 was also specced with power steering and power windows and a 4 speed manual (over the standard 3 speed manual for 1968). But again, no power brakes. Though I have retrofitted them in to my car and I find it vastly better to drive because of it.
Wonder if anyone has ever ordered a Vette with a 'standard' 3 speed manual transmission?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Wonder if anyone has ever ordered a Vette with a 'standard' 3 speed manual transmission?
Surely someone must have done. I vaguely remember (dreamed?) seeing a build number of Vettes for 1968 broken down by these such things and there were some with 3 speed manuals made. Can't quite remember, but I think it was only available on the very base model engine option - like mine. Would be interesting to see a base model 3 speed C3 Vette.

phild

CCCUK Member
I have a recollection that on the '65 C2, which was the first year with disc brakes, you could order it with the previous drums as an option. Not sure if anyone ever did.

I had a '65, with discs all round, and it was specced from new with power steering but not powered brakes which I thought was odd. It does explain why my right calf muscle is somewhat bigger than the left. :):):)

Roscobbc

Its an 'American' thing.......back in the 60's when European (and specifically American powered cars like the Iso's, AC's and others) sports and GT cars were on the ascent in terms of popularity and no Brit or European owner would have ever considered buying a sports car with powered steering or brakes. It was the 'macho', big nuts kind of thing. Hence the high numbers of Corvettes sold in the day with 4 speed transmissions. But not just a standard ratio M20, no the close ratio M21. In many cases the same buyers logic would mean no power brakes or steering. Logic should perhaps have been (and thinking about the typical American 'mindset') if choosing a manual transmission why not a simple 3 speed with its evenly spaced ratios?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Oh, those were the grand years when GM went out of their way to allow customers to build a C2 with lots of
options with 4 engines, make C2 lighter for racing where even could option no heater, no A/C, no radio, rear end gear ratios
no power steering, or no power brakes, carb and exhaust type, etc
4 engines, 3 tranny types, even lighter heads

Reduce weight, better HP to weight ratio to go faster
With L71 engine option, could not option with an A/C
Look at all the rear end gears options

For 1967 :

67options.jpg67tranny.jpg67hp.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
In those days cars really could be tailored to exactly how you the buyer wanted. John DeLorean soon put a stop to that by grouping some option’s together where possible, increasing Chevrolets profits quite considerably.