Wheel weights

Dellb

CCCUK Member
Hi All
I was wondering if anybody else suffers the annoying problem I have.
My 1980 C3 Vette has stock aluminium wheels and brakes. During the restoration, all the brake callipers, discs etc along with all wheel bearings were renewed. My annoying problem is that twice I have forgotten, and not put the wheels in the correct position for removal. The end result is that the balance weights get knocked off and I have to have them all re-balanced. Also when the weights are fitted, (Flat stick on type) they have to be positioned far in up against the wheel hub, otherwise the calliper knocks them off. I have put a clock on all four wheels, and they are true and without bearing movement.

There seems to be little clearance between the rim and the callipers. Has anyone else experienced this.

Delb

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Hi All
My 1980 C3 Vette has stock aluminium wheels and brakes. During the restoration, all the brake callipers, discs etc along with all wheel bearings were renewed. My annoying problem is that twice I have forgotten, and not put the wheels in the correct position for removal. The end result is that the balance weights get knocked off and I have to have them all re-balanced. Also when the weights are fitted, (Flat stick on type) they have to be positioned far in up against the wheel hub, otherwise the calliper knocks them off. I have put a clock on all four wheels, and they are true and without bearing movement.

There seems to be little clearance between the rim and the callipers. Has anyone else experienced this.

Delb
All I know is that your '80 looks badass.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi All

Delb
I have non standard 15 inch deep dish alloys on my 1980 with stick on weights on the inside and have not encountered a problem despite have the wheels off many times .

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Hi All

Delb

Ah yes, I know that problem all too well! I have "stock appearance" wheel son our '78, but I know that in fact, they are after-market copies. I don't know if it is a manufacturing thing, but there is minimal clearance between wheel and calliper and, if I want to have the wheel balanced, its impossible to fit the weights on the inner side in the position they need to be, as the collide with the callipers. Over the years I have tried all sorts and now know how far out (or "in" in fact) the weights can be position for the "inner rim". I like the "outer" weights to be in the slots, for aesthetics, which probably compounds the problem!

To make matter worse, the casting quality of my wheels seems suspect, meaning that they need a lot of weight to get them right. It's not the tyres, as we have run the wheels on the balance machine sans tyres. The chap I use, just down the road, is very patient and spent best part of an hour on one wheel a couple of years ago! I have even considered taking the wheels to a refurbisher type place, to have them "machined" a bit to give more clearance, but have yet to bite the bullet on that!

You may have similar after-market wheels?