Where’s my washer tank? That’s not my washer tank!

CrispyCleen

CCCUK Member
So, I have a ‘70 that (in the engine bay) has seen better days. One of the previous owners replaced the engine and gearbox to a ZZ4 and T400 auto box with a spoon and one hand. Even then, I think they weren’t sure how a spoon worked.

Among the other delights I have had to set right, I trying to get the windscreen washer system to work again, and I’m pretty sure this has never had one. Let me explain, the heating system inside has been disconnected from the coolant system (I’m assuming at this point it leaks). The coolant header tank has been replaced with a plastic (generic) header tank from somewhere. This has been fitted in the location I thought the washer tank would have fitted based on the replacement I ordered. However, since trying to fit it and scratching my head for a while, I got my build manual out and trawled through the drawings to see where the tank would have gone, only to find that it should actually be the bag type.

”oh ok, thats mildly annoying, but at least I know now” I said. So I go looking for the mounting hooks under the drivers side wing panel to check if I was correct. But no hooks. Not even holes where the hooks would have been mounted.

so, where the heck did they mount the washer bottle? Did they mount a washer bottle? Was windscreen washers an option?

i have a theory, which I am mentally blocking myself from thinking as the implications are pretty daunting.

also, does anyone want to buy a NIB washer tank?

CrispyCleen

CCCUK Member
Ha! What washer motor? That was the other bit; no washer motor.

’New’ header tank and whee I thought washer tank should be:
Drivers side wing, whee washer bag and mounting hooks should be:
wiper motor and lack of washer motor:

antijam

CCCUK Member
On my '71 the white plastic washer tank is down on the passenger side fender under the (original) header tank. It has a long (removable) neck with a filling cap carrying a rubber tube connected to the washer pump attached to the wiper motor up on the firewall

P1320378.JPG

You can just make out part of the round black filling cap in the lower left part of this shot...

image6.JPG

Dazaa

Well-known user
70 should have the wiper washer built in to the wiper motor, yours is a later model wiper motor. Correct one is very expensive, keep this one if working.
Heres what I would do. Buy the correct aluminium Harrison expansion tank and plumb it in correctly, in line with the heater hose. This will free up space to mount a later model washer tank with the pump in the bottom. You may need to get a little creative to mount it, but thats what i’ve done on my 71. Also not sure why your heater core is out past the firewall? And it looks like the factory steel fuelhard lines are gone, replacedwith rubber? Major fire hazard according to the guys on the USA forum, from new there were no rubber fuel lines in the engine bay.