Where does this go?

johng

CCCUK Member
Anybody know where this pink wire should go on my 78? It was hanging loose when I got the car and I can't see anywhere obvious to put it. I think it might be meant to operate the windscreen wiper when you use the washer, but I can't see a connection for it on my wiper motor.

4426IMGP1718_LI.jpg

kentvette

CCCUK Member
You're right, it is part of the wsher system. It should plug onto a wire that comes out of the motor. This is what mine looks like:

Not too sure how you get in there to see where the wire should go inside the motor I'm afraid, but I guess the bolts around the edge?

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I believe that it is as John thinks, related to the washer. That should be activated by pushing in the wiper switch and, should cause the wipers to sweep, which is necessary as the washer jets are on the wiper arms.

Mine has the pulse-delay system, but I think even the those without that option use the same set-up to activate the washers.

M

Martinshort

It is not part of the washer ,the washer motor has a double connector ,it is for wiper delay

johng

CCCUK Member
Thanks Steve, I was hoping you'd post a photo of your car. As I don't have the wire coming out of my wiper motor, I guess that it has been replaced at some point with the wrong model. The pink wire looks like it connects to the washer switch wire at the fuse box, so I think you are correct about how it's meant to operate. Shame I didn't think about this sooner, as I had the wiper motor apart to check it out a few months ago. I'll probably take it apart again to see if I can modify it to make it work, as a new motor is not cheap.

johng

CCCUK Member
Found this on the Willcox site. Looks like it's not just a case of connecting the pink wire inside the motor, I'd also need to fabricate the rub contact and presumably whatever it is that it rubs against. Think this might be a job I leave until (much) later!

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I'm not sure what the wiring diagram shown is, but it is not the one GM supplied in the 1978 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual at the time, which is this:
As you say John, it looks a little "involved"! So, out of interest, I assume you do not have the delay/pulse option? Did the car have that feature originally? It was advertised for the '78 model year, but in reality was not available at the beginning of production. Or, was the motor replaced later? And, how do your washers operate - do you need to have the wipers on first?

Incidentally, after '79 the wipe delay/pulse controller was changed and moved location to one of the rear storage bins. The original type, located under the centre console, can now be replaced with a "solid state" type, which I understand is more reliable. The problems with mine were cured many years ago by a new relay, but in the future I may change to the new type.

Last edited:

johng

CCCUK Member
Well Steve, I've no idea how my washers operate as I've never used them! I drove the car home (about 20 miles) when I bought it (on a dry evening) and then discovered that despite having 12 months MOT it had a few problems that needed sorting. One of these was that there was no washer pump fitted to the bottom of the washer bottle. A minor renovation then gradually morphed into a complete body off restoration and I'm currently refitting everything under the bonnet. Still haven't put anything back inside the passenger compartment, so I'm not sure if I have the delay/pulse option or not. It's a Feb 78 build, so maybe not. My guess is that the wiper motor has been replaced and from what I can see, the ones like yours are pretty rare/expensive. The previous owners of my car do not seem to have lavished lots of attention or money on it, so I'm sure they wouldn't have worried about getting the right one.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
:):) Ah yes, I'd forgotten that you'd inadvertently fallen into a major re-biuld! My condolences.:)

I'd noticed that the wiper motors like mine seem to be hard to get, strange as I think most '78's had the option and 79's certainly do. But then again, try and find the apparently common option passenger sun visor with a non-illuminated mirror...... Hens teeth are actually easier to find! I did look through the AIM and the engine compartment wires for the wiper/washer are shown, including the wire going into the motor cover, but I didn't see anything relating to the delay unit.

When you do get to the interior, I have photos of the delay unit should you need to identify it! Sorry we couldn't resolve where to plug in you errant pink wire.

Good luck with the next phase

johng

CCCUK Member
Well you did resolve where the pink wire is meant to go, which means I can stop wasting anymore time wondering about it. So good job really :)