Where to jack front end up from without causing any damage?

Last triumph

Well-known user
Need to get under the front of my '81 using a jack and then jack stands.

No problem of where to put the jack stands once up in the air, but from what I've read on the net, I get the impression that jacking the front up from just one side could induce unwanted torsional stress to the frame and body??

If so, the cross member looks to be a sensible bet, other than the damage this can cause.

What is prescribed method of lifting the entire front in a safe, non-damaging way - jack only, no ramps or lift.

Thanks.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Need to get under the front of my '81 using a jack and then jack stands.

No problem of where to put the jack stands once up in the air, but from what I've read on the net, I get the impression that jacking the front up from just one side could induce unwanted torsional stress to the frame and body??

If so, the cross member looks to be a sensible bet, other than the damage this can cause.

What is prescribed method of lifting the entire front in a safe, non-damaging way - jack only, no ramps or lift.

Thanks.
My 1980 owners hand book states front jacking point is the main chassis beam about 5 inches back from the leading edge of the doors . I do however prefer to use a trolley jack on both sides to lift the front up a little bit at time be equal amounts until |I get the lift height required . a bit of a faff but safer and worth the effort . Jacking the centre of the cross member is a no no as the steel underside plating is only thin and spot welded on for the most part . Also if you have glass T top panels , release the clamps before jacking as this will prevent any flex in body / frame potentially cracking the glass panels .

Last triumph

Well-known user
Thanks.- I only have one trolley jack is the issue, so side to side isn't going to work for me. Good shout on the glass tops.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks.- I only have one trolley jack is the issue, so side to side isn't going to work for me. Good shout on the glass tops.
You could get by with two scissor jacks but trolley jacks are more stable when lifting each side a bit at a time . If you can`t borrow another trolley jack I think buying one would be a worthwhile investment . After all , I doubt this will be the first and last time you need to get the front end in the air if you intend to keep the car for long !

kentvette

CCCUK Member
We have only recently invested in the Quick-Jack system, which is fab! But, for the previous 30 years I used to jack one side at a time, with no apparent issues. I place the trolley jack just a little more to the rear of the car than the prescribed jacking place (5 inches in front of the door leading edge), and that allows me to slot the axle stand in at more or less the correct jacking position. They should go there by the way, nowhere else. I usually take it high enough to just slip in an axle stand at its lowest setting, then raise the other side and do the same. I then re-lift if I need the axles stands higher.

But I prefer to have the car on ramps unless I actually need a wheel off. I don't trust the metal ones and made my own out of 6"x6" square fence posts!

Whatever you do, do not be tempted to try and lift the car on any central cross members, diffs etc!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Apologies !v I should have said 5 inches IN FRONT of leading edge of the doors . That will teach me to think first and type second . :cautious:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Buy a car ramp.
That`s a f***in useful comment ! Have you tried to drive a 1981 C3 up ramps ? No I thought not ! With the longer lower nose and chin spoiler you would rip the lot off !! And ramps will be of no use if you need the wheels off ! The guy was only asking about safe jacking methods .

Reactions: Emc

v8lee

CCCUK Member
James..... A word of advice... Don't comment on Corvette related things until you have owned a Vette and have had experience in working on them! If you knew anything about 81 Vettes you would know its not just straight forward to drive up onto ramps...as Chuffer mentioned, you need to step up gradually...then onto ramps.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Of course Last Triumph could dig out an Inspection Pit
I have raised a C3 several times, one wheel, one corner with the scissor jack and chocs and axle stand - if two wheels the same, but each a little at a time, until you have the desired height, I have never loosened my glass tops, but always jacked the Vette with the doors closed (and not opened during) Once I have gained height with the scissor Jack, I then take over with a small pump jack, makes life quicker and easier, the rest as Stephen (Kent Vette) advised - Most Important: Be Safe!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Safety first at all times , and put axle stands underneath at structurally appropriate points . If in doubt , don`t do it is a good rule . :unsure: Loosening glass tops was a tip I picked up from a USA website a few years ago . Better safe than sorry for the few seconds it takes to release the clips rather than an expensive glass roof panel replacement !!

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
You're dead right about not using ramps with a Vette. Even at the garage when I had it in for an annual check recently, their lifting ramp system had a smallish ramp going up onto it, which was too much for my Vette. So they shoved planks of wood in front of it so the Vette could slowly go up onto it.

Prior to that, back where I used to live, the garage I took the Vette too would only fit on one of their ramps as it was one embedded in the floor that you drove onto and then lifted. The other one was too high.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
You're dead right about not using ramps with a Vette. Even at the garage when I had it in for an annual check recently, their lifting ramp system had a smallish ramp going up onto it, which was too much for my Vette. So they shoved planks of wood in front of it so the Vette could slowly go up onto it.

Prior to that, back where I used to live, the garage I took the Vette too would only fit on one of their ramps as it was one embedded in the floor that you drove onto and then lifted. The other one was too high.
Your car must be a bit lower than our '78. I've never had a problem with a lift at a garage, and I un ours up onto my home-made ramps without any "grounding" issues. They do have a slightly lower gradient though.

But I suspect that the later, 80-on cars longer lower bumper would be a real issue on a ramp.

I'd say if you can afford it, (and they were definitely affordable at Costco!), buy a Quick Jack as it does make life a lot easier!

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Your car must be a bit lower than our '78. I've never had a problem with a lift at a garage, and I un ours up onto my home-made ramps without any "grounding" issues. They do have a slightly lower gradient though.
That's the thing - standard ride height as far as I'm aware. It doesn't look that low, and didn't think it was an issue until two garages mentioned it to me.

At home I just jack it up. The quick jack would be fab, but money and space etc. I don't do much mechanics stuff at home nowadays as don't really get the time. So when I do, jacks + axle stands is fine for me.

Denisc

CCCUK Member
Some very helpful tips on this thread, thank you all. One question; for a 30 minute job is it ok to lift front only (both sides) or does the whole car need to be lifted? I need to fit new fuel line from pump to carb so just need to get front passenger side wheel off for access.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
James..... A word of advice... Don't comment on Corvette related things until you have owned a Vette and have had experience in working on them! If you knew anything about 81 Vettes you would know its not just straight forward to drive up onto ramps...as Chuffer mentioned, you need to step up gradually...
Hi LT., there was a plate made in the states that bolts to the crossmember especially to enable jacking int the centre without damage to the crossmember. It could also come with two tow eyes so dual purpose. “Easyjack” and easy tow “ i think. Google it , easy to have something similar made up for not much money .( the supplier wont ship to uk ) I asked a while back. . 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
You could get by with two scissor jacks but trolley jacks are more stable when lifting each side a bit at a time . If you can`t borrow another trolley jack I think buying one would be a worthwhile investment . After all , I doubt this will be the first and last time you need to get the front end in the air if you intend to keep the car for long !
65805BBA-908A-4C66-991D-0346EDBE378F.jpeg
I bought this which is a useful bit of kit, a bit fiddly to drive onto with a few bits of scaffold plank required so as not to scrape the exhausts . And arm placement a bit more limited than on most two post ramps.
I can use it to work under or around the vette or use it to place all 4 wheels onto cribbs snd then wheel it out from the side for fill access to underside.. made drilling and tapping my diff drain plug a load easier. 👍