Which Battery Tender

mr_glasgow84

Regular user
Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend one or two battery tenders for my 1999 C5 please.

Ideally, I'd like one that connects via the cigarette lighter but happy to consider all options.

Not looking for anything overly fancy or expensive but from what I've seen, not every tender will work on such a powerful engine so recommendations much appreciated.

Thanks,

Martin

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Keep in mind that can be confusing is a charger or a tender

For long term plugged in, you want a tender / Maintainer
as it only puts out about 1 amp, so it will not cook the battery when connected for weeks and even months
I have 2 vehicles and most of the time are not driven, but the batteries have lasted over 15 years in both being connected to a tender

A charger puts out higher amperage and can cook a battery over time and put out dirty voltage spikes that can
damage to the on-board controllers where tenders use clean voltage

If just wanting a tender for a cheap cost just as an example

A unit that is both a charger and tender

Waterproof type of vehicle left outside

oelarse

Well-known user
I have this Ctek permanently mounted in my garage connected to a 6 feet extentioncable with a quick connector in the end .
On my battery terminals I have also permanently mounted a quick connector (last picture).
When I leave my C5 in the garage for a longer period of time I connect the CTEK to the battery :)

IMG_1333.jpgIMG_1334.jpg

theseoldcars

CCCUK Member
Another vote for CTEK here.

Noco also has some excellent products; it now offers a direct-mount charger and tender which can be installed in the vehicle and then just plugged in as and when required. Just possibly a bit neater, a bit more flexible and capable, and less faff.

I've only used Noco jump packs so far, though, but they've done exactly what they say on the tin and appear to work very well. :)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
This topic has come up several times on the forum in the past and I always advocate a CTEK unit like the other guys have said . I have kept my C3 hooked up every day for over 6 years and the car never fails to crank over well .

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I have this Ctek permanently mounted in my garage connected to a 6 feet extentioncable with a quick connector in the end .
On my battery terminals I have also permanently mounted a quick connector (last picture).
When I leave my C5 in the garage for a longer period of time I connect the CTEK to the battery :)

View attachment 20157

I agree, hard-wiring is the best solution and makes it simple to hook and unhook wiring connector

I go further
I use very strong Earth Magnetic male & female wiring connectors
These are 2 wire and small diameter

Once installed just have to walk by and the 2 connectors auto attract and mate so no opening/closing hood,
do not even have to lean over to make the connection

magconnectors2.jpgmagconnectors.jpg