Which Carbureter?

Mickeywick

CCCUK Member
I have a 1977 C3 which always has trouble starting and idling/ticking over.,
I have been advised to fit an edelbrok AVS2.
There seem to be several different types of AVS2 - which one would be best?
Where is the best place to buy one?
Many Thanks,
MIke

Roscobbc

Can't help re. AVS2.......but if you are already experiencing cold starting issues perhaps heat stove connections from exhaust manifold to carb are shot or missing - so electric choke on new carb would be a logical choice. The carbs ain't cheap quite a few people using throttle body fuel injection carbs now.......some of them are not a huge amount dearer......

Mickeywick

CCCUK Member
Thanks Rosco,
I'm haven't got cold starting problems - it takes a lot a 'tries' to start, even in warm weather, and won't idle without my foot slightly on the pedal.
I've had a carbureter rebuild but that hasn't worked very well so I'm looking at a new carbureter.

Roscobbc

Good old fashioned Holleys have accelerator pumps where you typically floor the accelerator pedal two or three times to pump-in neat gas for starting. Not sure about the Edelbrock unit. If the existing carb is a Quadrajet spreadbore carb the AVS2 as it comes won't fit your existing inlet manifold. Size-wise if the engine is stock go for a 600 - 650 cfm unit perhaps.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I have a 600cfm Edelbrock Performer fitted on my 1980 C3 . It has no choke fitted but after a couple of pumps on the throttle to prime it , it cranks over easily with a high torque starter motor and fires up . Today I had it running after a couple of months inactivity and it was chuffin freezing in the workshop so it took a couple of attempts to fire up and a little light throttle for a minute or so and then settled into tick over . It`s worth mentioning that mine sits on an Edelbrock Torker 2 inlet manifold so fitment was not an issue . I am very happy with the Edelbrock as it`s a big improvement on the knackered old Holley on it before .

Mickeywick

CCCUK Member
Thanks very much Rosco and Chuffer - I'm getting the picture now.
On the Edelbrock website there appear tlo be three different kinds of AVS2 - any ideas?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks very much Rosco and Chuffer - I'm getting the picture now.
On the Edelbrock website there appear tlo be three different kinds of AVS2 - any ideas?
All I can see on website is the choice of manual or electronic choke , and a choice of two finishes . Unless I have missed something . :unsure: What carb is currently on your car and does it have manual or electronic choke ?

Emc

Supporting vendor
All I can see on website is the choice of manual or electronic choke , and a choice of two finishes . Unless I have missed something . :unsure: What carb is currently on your car and does it have manual or electronic choke ?
Good point, what carb and intake are now on the car

Roscobbc

There are two ranges -
The Edelbrock 1405 Performer Series 600 CFM manual choke carburetor is a precisely tuned, quality-built carburetor that can handle the rigors of daily driving while delivering consistent, reliable street performance from day to day. Several characteristics make the 1405 Performer Series 600 CFM manual choke carburetor an outstanding street performer. The first one is that metering rods are utilized to transition between circuits. The carburetor is unaffected by engine backfires, which means that there are no power valves to blow out, and the rods can be changed in seconds without carburetor removal or fuel draining. Secondly, the carburetor has the unique ability to "hold a tune", so once it is tuned, the carburetor stay's tuned. What this means to you is that compared to other carburetors, the performance remains consistent and the calibration stays unchanged. The lightweight all-aluminum body features a two-piece body that resists warping and is compatible with gasohol and blended fuels. The simple tub-type bowls and rear-pivot floats all contribute to a carburetor that's reliable, user-friendly and is easily tunable for miles and miles of trouble-free operation.
and seemingly newer range
The Edelbrock AVS2 Series #1906 is a satin-finished four-barrel carburetor with electric choke that is designed and calibrated for optimum street performance in engines that require an air-fuel flow of 650 CFM. The AVS2 is a perfect replacement or upgrade that features annular flow primary boosters with a new calibration for improved off-idle and cruising performance. The annular flow booster design delivers improved fuel atomization to eliminate flat spots that may be encountered as the carburetor transitions from idle to full throttle. Each annular flow booster features eight equally spaced orifices to improve fuel metering from idle to the main circuit. The improved flow metering makes this carburetor ideal for use with a wide variety of small- and big-block engines with either dual- or single-plane intake manifolds. The Edelbrock AVS2 #1906 includes both timed and full vacuum ports for ignition advance. It comes with: .101 primary and.098 secondary metering jets; .070 x .037 metering rods; orange (5" Hg) step-up spring. Use our Carburetor Stud Kits #8008 or #8024 if needed. Match with a variety of manifolds that include Edelbrock Performer, Performer EPS, RPM Air-Gap, Performer RPM, Torker II or other brands of similar design. For a black-finished AVS2 with electric choke, order part #19063.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Do you get commission from Edelbrock for that?

I have the Edelbrock 1406 carb on mine (basically the 1405, but with an electric choke).

Roscobbc

Do you get commission from Edelbrock for that?

I have the Edelbrock 1406 carb on mine (basically the 1405, but with an electric choke).
Edelbrock really seem to have come on in the last few years re. being a serious manufacturer of carbs and fuel injection.......didn't realise they did their own version of a Holley!

fine69

Busy user
HI Mickey.

I've got an Edelbrock Performer 1407 (750) on my cammed 383. I really like Edelbrock carbs. They just work straight out of the box. Great throttle response and good on fuel. Easy to rebuild and easy to change the jets. I'm familiar with Holley, Quick fuel and Demon.

If a stock engine i'd go for the 600 performer (1405) as Ross suggested. No need for the AVS really, that's more of a performance item from what I gather (we was going to buy one for my Dad's Camaro but decided to stick with the Demon.
There's auto or manual choke. You'll probably want auto? Is that 1406?