Wiring mystery

Sparky

CCCUK Member
Has anyone got any idea what's going on here please... The image shows the front driving lights that have been butchered for some reason with one wire completely disconnected. Both side of the C3 are the same, I suspect that it might have been a modification when the car was imported to make it UK roadworthy.

Attachments

• 20210116_112056.jpg
    20210116_112056.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 16

johng

CCCUK Member
That bulb holder holds a 2 filament bulb, one filament for an indicator and the other for a parking (or side) light. To be legal in the UK the indicator must be amber and the side light white. A previous owner has cut the wire for the side light and connected it via the red crimp connector at the top of the photo to a separate bulb that he has fitted into the housing at the bottom of the photo. You presumably have an amber bulb in the original bulb holder and a white one in the additional bulb holder. Looks like the earth wire is just twisted together, if so you ought to redo this properly.

Sparky

CCCUK Member
Yep, that all makes sense, I bought the car after it was imported into the UK but I had to get it modified to pass the MOT, very disappointing job by the garage that did the work, the jointed cables were just stripped, twisted together and then taped up. I set to and fix it properly...
Many thanks for your help.
One other thing whilst we're on the subject of lights, do you know if the C3 ever had reversing lights? Mine doesn't seem to and I'm not sure when they came into law in the UK.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The C3 reverse lights are the clear bits that have probably been converted to indicators.
There’s no requirement for reverse lights.

Dazaa

Well-known user
What a hack job, that mains cable has no place on a car, i'd suggest going over the entire harness to see what else has been messed with. Fibreglass burns quickly i've been told.