Would you rent out your Corvette ?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
A Corvette enthusiast who inherited his love for the legendary sports car from his dad, Putich bought an Elkhart Lake Blue Stingray.
To help make the payments, he decided to rent it out on the popular Turo app.

He used the app for a year with no problem, until he agreed to a three-day rental on Nov. 18, 2023.
“Thirty minutes before the renter was supposed to drop it off, he was 3½ hours away, so I knew something was up,” Putich later told a news reporter.
Eventually, the car’s OnStar system would show the car was somewhere in the Mississippi River!
Putich believes the sensor itself was torn out instead and tossed in the water to prevent tracking the vehicle’s location.

What’s it like to realize his dream car is gone?
“I mean, there’s always inherent risks with renting a car out,” Putich says. “I always try to treat it as a business. Knowing it was not going to come back was tough.”

Apparently, Putich isn’t alone in his heartbreak, as “headline after headline” tells of other Turo hosts reporting their cars stolen, too. Such thefts shouldn’t occur, theoretically, since Turo offers an explanation of its registration system for renters: “To book a car on Turo in the United States, you must create a Turo account, be 18 years old or older with a valid driver’s license, and get approved to drive on Turo. When you’re booking your first trip, you’ll go through a quick approval process by entering your driver’s license and some other information. In most cases, you’ll get approved immediately, and you’ll be set for every future road trip, business trip, and family vacation!”

Unfortunately, what Putich calls “100 percent … absolutely a flaw in the system” has led to thefts like his elsewhere across the nation when crooks use fake IDs to rent the cars and then disappear.
The investigative reporter asked Turo for an interview about their process for screening IDs. They responded with a statement but didn’t address how they scrutinize the IDs, saying instead: “While rare, incidents such as these are covered – each trip backed by liability insurance, reimbursing for damage or loss up to the car’s actual cash value.”

Even if Turo does eventually reimburse him for his car, Putich says it’s been a “nightmare end” for his dream car.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
In a word: NO. I know full well that other people have the mindset of "It's not my property, so it doesn't matter how I treat it", and thus they'll abuse the car when they have it.

That and over here, not a lot of people would be used to driving a 56 year old left hand drive car. And would probably be all "I'm awesome at driving modern fast cars" and proceed to drive it like a modern car, not thinking that actually the modern car's computers and abilities is actually what allows that person to drive fast and safely. Thus then wiping out my old car and themselves in the process. They'll then blame me for having a dangerous old car that tried to kill them.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Come on - you buy your "Dream Car" but can't afford the payments so you rent it out !? It's a high performance sports car - it's going to be bouncing off the rev limiter before the renter has left your drive. Even if and when it does come back I doubt it's in the same condition as when it left.
Reminds me of the Hertz "Rent-a-Racer" Programme of the 1960's. You could rent a Mustang 350GT-H for $17 a day and 17c a mile. The cars left Hertz with 300+ HP - I believe more than one was returned with a motor transplant of rather lower power! o_O;)

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Reminds me of the Hertz "Rent-a-Racer" Programme of the 1960's. You could rent a Mustang 350GT-H for $17 a day and 17c a mile. The cars left Hertz with 300+ HP - I believe more than one was returned with a motor transplant of rather lower power! o_O;)
Hertz have done Corvettes too:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The local Hertz rental agency in Clearwater had a couple for rent back in the day. Proudly had them out front and centre when not “out on rent”