ZR1 Selective Ride Dampers plus Bose Stereo Overhaul

RobertZR1

CCCUK Member
Hi All, my '91 ZR1 is in excellent condition overall, unmodified, and at 51,000 miles not much used for its age. I do need though to attend to two areas to bring the car up to scratch. The first is the shock absorbers, which are for the standard fit FX3 Selective Ride Control. The dampers drew a MOT advisory last February, and definitely feel a little floaty. I don't know for sure if the control system is working as designed, but there aren't any warning messages on the control panel. What is my best source for OEM spec replacements? I have seen them advertised on one of the major sites (either Ecklers or Zip), but with a warning that they can't be airfreighted. The second major issue for attention is the factory fit stereo system. The cassette player and radio worked okay when I could hear them last, but the CD player is inoperative. All the speakers have now blown too, presumably because the capacitors have burned out. I want to keep the system factory stock, though upgrading the capacitors would be an idea. (Also adapting the radio to handle Euro frequencies, though I could live with the US spec). Rebuild services are offered in the US but is there anyone here who could do the job well? Many thanks

Vetteheadracer

CCCUK Member
This article may be of interest to you regarding the stereo.

Regarding the shocks you might be able to source them in Europe or try someone like Claremont as they did have a lot of ZR1 parts.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
As to shocks, try Bilstein who made the shocks as they used to have and might still do
if you send them the shocks and they rebuild them
They also located in Germany, so you might contact them

ZIP shows they have them

This vendor you send the Corvette radio to them and they rebuild them

Last edited:

UKBeancounter

Committee Member
The FX3's can be rebuilt/overhauled at Bilstein in Leicester. I did have my original set done there through a contact who used to work for them (I may be able to pull a favour again). However, I would recommend replacing as I have now done on my C4. The shock bodies and rods were getting quite worn
As Oneball's above post, Keith as Eurovette's organised for me, I would certainly recommend giving him a call as his shipping costs are generally far lower than sorting yourself due to his bulk shipments.
There is a company in the US who can refurb the OEM Head Unit. Depends if you want to keep the standard look. I swapped out for an aftermarket 2Din unit with a converter from the US so I could use the BOSE speakers still.