68/69 grill query

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Interesting line of thought here, do you consider the first of the C3 Corvettes ie 1968 model ( as they are referred to now ) as a Stingray.? That said, what about the 1977-1982 model C3’s.
GM didn`t call them Stingray or Sting Ray from 1977 to the run out of the C3 so they are not Stingrays .

Roscobbc

The other term perhaps used stateside (more than here historically) is Rat motor for big block (or Mouse motor) for small block.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The other term perhaps used stateside (more than here historically) is Rat motor for big block (or Mouse motor) for small block.
My Vette is fitted with a 1985 Camaro IROC -Z 305 cu inch engine , does that make it a Ferret motor ? 🤣

Roscobbc

My Vette is fitted with a 1985 Camaro IROC -Z 305 cu inch engine , does that make it a Ferret motor ? 🤣
A Gerbil, Hamster or Shrew motor I'm afraid - your choice! - anything over 500 cu in (and usually Mopar Hemi) is referred as an Elephant motor.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Stateside the term Sting Ray or Stingray to describe a certain year is much more widely used.
Porcupine is another term for the big block motors in sting rays from 1965

Roscobbc

I did but a set of chrome gill inserts for my '68 - but tbh I didn't like the 'chunky' appearance of them and how they seemed to stand pround of the fender sides.......ended up selling them on.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
My 1968 came with the gill inserts. I must confess I thought it was standard until it started getting mentioned on here. I knew my 68 shouldn't technically have the Stingray badge on it.... and mine doesn't. I'm not bothered about putting one on.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
My 1968 came with the gill inserts. I must confess I thought it was standard until it started getting mentioned on here. I knew my 68 shouldn't technically have the Stingray badge on it.... and mine doesn't. I'm not bothered about putting one on.
You could put the C7 stingray badge there instead they look cool.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Looks exactly the same so why not? And you have the chrome gills it would look awesome. :cool:
The 68 looks different to the 69 onwards. The wheel arches are different, and the doors different, and no doubt a few other minor things I can't think of. As mine shouldn't have the badge on it, and it came without the badge on it, I quite like the "less is more" look of not having the badge on it. Like you said, most people know them as "Stingrays", so I don't need the badge.

That and drilling badge fitment holes in the car :eek: :eek: :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think to most people the now classic C3 ( as it’s now called ) corvette is a corvette stingray. All years thought of as such. The 1968 is unique in that it has many features that the “improved” 69 does not. If the owner wants a Stingray badge on the fender fine it’s his car after all. Wouldn’t alter the overall look of the car or affect its resale value.
At the end of the day, it’s your car and your choice.