72 Corvette - Restoration Updates

C1CKS

CCCUK Member
Congratulations to both you and Oneball for taking on these projects. 👍👍 Mine is a breeze compared to yours 😂😂

TimP

CCCUK Member
Congratulations to both you and Oneball for taking on these projects. 👍👍 Mine is a breeze compared to yours 😂😂
Many thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing how your car turns out - judging by the engine and TAs I'm sure it will be amazing.(y)

TimP

CCCUK Member
The next task after the removal of the front fibreglass was to have a look at the bulkhead and see what needed to be done to repair the rusted areas. I really couldn't see a way of doing what I need to do without removing it so off it came., It was easier than I expected possibly because the metal bits had rusted away from the bonding materials but I'm not complaining. :sneaky: The ventilation gubbins on the passenger side of the bulkhead has corroded into oblivion and will need to be replaced (if parts are available) or fabricated (if not). I've set the bulkhead aside for the time being but in preparation for reinstallation, the mating surfaces will be cleaned up and any damage done in removal (not too much) will be repaired.
Birdcage brace 66.JPG

Removing the bulkhead revealed the birdcage behind in all its glory. Those of a nervous disposition should look away now.

Birdcage brace 56.JPG Birdcage brace 57.JPG Birdcage brace 58.JPG Birdcage brace 60.JPG Birdcage brace 61.JPG

Birdcage brace 62.JPG Birdcage brace 63.JPG Birdcage brace 64.JPG Birdcage brace 65.JPG

Note to self: must remember to keep the T-Top seals in good condition in future.

First step on this phase is repair the passenger side windscreen lower side frame and hinge post top to give some strength to the lower windscreen surround. Then I will repair the same area on the driver side before replacing the lower windscreen frame rail. Final phase for the front section of the birdcage it to replace the lower rail on each side and rebuild the lower sections of the hinge posts. Fun, fun, fun....!

johng

CCCUK Member
Wow, I definitely got off lightly with mine. Did you have any idea how bad it was when you bought the car?

TimP

CCCUK Member
Wow, I definitely got off lightly with mine. Did you have any idea how bad it was when you bought the car?
I can't say that I 'knew' that it was as bad as this but I had a pretty good idea. It doesn't bother me - I wanted a long term project and must confess to enjoying solving the problems that this car presents and learning new things and skills. Not everyone's cup of tea but I constantly need something to do and keep busy - this car fits that requirement really well.

TimP

CCCUK Member
I think I got off lightly with mine!

What ventilation gubbins do you need?
I have seen worse! This is the assembly that requires replacing/refurbishing...... The rubber flapper is in good shape although I think the actuator will need to be replaced which fortunately is available. I must admit I haven't done a lot of research on this yet other than a brief look in the Factory Assembly Manual which does show the basic shape of the metal brackets and mechanisms that have rotten away but what would be really useful would be a photo what a good example looks like. If you have one like that would help a lot.
Firewall 1.JPG Firewall 2.JPG

antijam

CCCUK Member
Removing the bulkhead revealed the birdcage behind in all its glory. Those of a nervous disposition should look away now.
Crikey! That should be enough to scare off any prospective C3 owners :eek:. Had a previous owner parked it in Davey Jones' lock-up (Errr sorry - locker)?

Can we assume the engine looks like this......?

FB_IMG_1551908168073.jpg

TimP

CCCUK Member
Crikey! That should be enough to scare off any prospective C3 owners :eek:. Had a previous owner parked it in Davey Jones' lock-up (Errr sorry - locker)?

Can we assume the engine looks like this......?

View attachment 12688

Fortunately not (y)

My engine is actually in quite good condition (I think). It is the original engine and has less than 60k miles on it. I'm hoping that a mild refresh, rather than a full rebuild is all that will be required.

TimP

CCCUK Member
Keeping up momentum during the rain this week I stripped the heating and aircon casings. The casings have a large gap between them so I can't imagine the heating/air con was working very well when it was last used.

HVAC 1.JPG

The heater side casing was cracked and broken around where the blower motor is mounted and required some repairs. I forgot to take a 'pre' picture but you can see the repair areas at 8 and 11 o'clock around the blower motor hole. A few layers of glass fibre dovetailed into the existing material seems to have worked ok.

HVAC-5.JPG
The blower motor looked a bit sorry for itself but it actually works. Excuse me whilst I sit down for a minute.
HVAC-6.JPG

The metal panel on the air con side had a large hole where the seal flange is spot welded on. You can just see the while paper showing through in the lower part. It extended about 2 inches up from there under the flange.
HVAC-8.JPG

New metal was shaped and welded in to fill the hole...
HVAC-7.JPG

Which required the use of one of these... which you don't get to use very often on a Corvette.
HVAC-Dolly.JPG

Hole filled in it and flange repaired they looked like this..
HVAC-7.JPG

With the flange rivetted back in place, cleaned and painted it now looks a bit healthier ..
HVAC-9.JPG

The (almost) complete blower assembly looks like this... The rubber pipe that goes from the heater plenum to the blower motor to keep it cool has perished so I'll need a section of 18mm I/D rubber pipe to join the two.
HVAC 10.JPG

Whilst I wait for the new metal to arrive for the birdcage I'll strip the aircon evaporator assembly on the other side and see what lurks there.

TimP

CCCUK Member
Back to the birdcage..... for the past couple of weeks I have been modifying and extending the jig/brace I built to do the top windscreen surround so that I can tackle some of the other areas. I had (rather stupidly) set up the brace to rest on the chassis through the holes in the longitudinal birdcage rails. As these now need to be replaced I had to extend the transverse jig/brace so that it used the transmission crossmember bolts (removable on my chassis although its a manual) as the main support. This updated perimeter jig/brace now can be used to brace any part of the birdcage and I should be able to remove/replace/refurbish any other part (one at a time) in situ without anything moving out of alignment. It is surprisingly rigid and doesn't flex even with 2 or 3 times the weight it needs to support.
Birdcage brace 67.JPG

The first part to be replaced is the lower windscreen surround and I have added localised alignment points including the critical steering column captive bolts so that I can remove the lower surround and replace it with a new one without worrying too much about positioning. I will take a fairly comprehensive set of measurements as back up too. The bolt provides variable adjustment on height and fabricated a small platform with a welded on nut to provide the main support and then filled the gap between the surround (suitable covered in sellotape to act as release agent) and the platform with filler giving a precise location for the frame in three places. So long as the new part is a good copy of the original (a big 'if' I know) the new one should go on fairly easily.
Birdcage brace 69.JPG

The bolt provides height adjustment to ensure that the 'A' members align perfectly with the other three transverse members.
Birdcage brace 70.JPG
Birdcage brace 72.JPG

You will notice that there are 2 channels underneath the car that have the critical 3.32 inch (88 mm) width dimension of the lower longitudinal rails. These will form the basis of a fabrication to replace these rails. A lucky find on e-bay.

So the plan (I think plan F - there was a weeks worth of contemplation on the approach before I got to something final) is to remove the lower windscreen rail and then replace/refurbish/repair the passenger hinge post top area - here.
Birdcage brace 73.JPG

Fortunately the drivers side is in better shape (but still needs replacing). That together with the FAM and a whole bunch of pictures from the internet I will use as a repair guide. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• Birdcage brace 68.JPG
    Birdcage brace 68.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Birdcage brace 71.JPG
    Birdcage brace 71.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 4

johng

CCCUK Member
Great work as always Tim, you certainly need some luck with the birdcage it seems worse every time you post a picture.

TimP

CCCUK Member
Great work as always Tim, you certainly need some luck with the birdcage it seems worse every time you post a picture.
John, Thanks! It's certainly not pretty but the good news is.....
a) it can only get better
b) I didn't try and lift the body, which was the original plan. I think I know what would have happened with a birdcage in this sort of condition.:)