72 front egg crate grill colour?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, I seem to remember a discussion re the correct colour for the painted part of the front egg crate grills on a 72. Mine need a re fresh and are at present satin black but edgy. Am i right in thinking they were supposed to be a metallic grey I seem to remember? Any ideas how to find the colour? TiA πŸ‘

James Vette

CCCUK Member
They are supposed to be bare chrome. Someone painted mine black so I removed the paint. There is a black line around the indicator which has chrome on either side and I believe the lowest part of the egg crate grill is supposed to be black so I left the paint on there. Maybe I am picky but I wanted it to look stock.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
They are supposed to be bare chrome. Someone painted mine black so I removed the paint. There is a black line around the indicator which has chrome on either side and I believe the lowest part of the egg crate grill is supposed to be black so I left the paint on there. Maybe I am picky but I wanted it to look stock.
Just been out to look at mine, the chrome edges are in good order the wide strip at the bottom is painted matt or satin black but the inside of the egg crates are in fact a pewtery grey.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Just been out to look at mine, the chrome edges are in good order the wide strip at the bottom is painted matt or satin black but the inside of the egg crates are in fact a pewtery grey.
James, did you strip your paint with paint stripper and did it affect the chrome? Any pics of yours finished please πŸ‘

James Vette

CCCUK Member
No I used a flathead screwdriver with tissue roll on the tip and gently scraped away the paint on the front of the grills. πŸ˜‰

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I had a '72 and I'm sure they were dark grey as per the '70 & '71

20220701_163346_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20220701_163402_resized.jpg
    20220701_163402_resized.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 8

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I had a '72 and I'm sure they were dark grey as per the '70 & '71

View attachment 17835
Many thanks mr cricket , very informative, is that from the black book or similar? I am in the process of stripping the old paint, my orange lenses had three siezed screws between them , i had to drill the heads off to remove lenses. I have new lenses , gaskets and screws coming but will put the old ones back when the grills are finished so car is useable til the new ones arrive.. while the grills are out I will see if the new Paragon bumper fits🀞If not it will be an expensive trip to the platers with the old one😬 . The paint stripper i used was weak so made it hard work , everything nowadays, (weedkiller, glue etc) all seems to be watered down to protect us from ourselves or something πŸ‘πŸ˜

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Many thanks mr cricket , very informative, is that from the black book or similar? I am in the process of stripping the old paint, my orange lenses had three siezed screws between them , i had to drill the heads off to remove lenses. I have new lenses , gaskets and screws coming but will put the old ones back when the grills are finished so car is useable til the new ones arrive.. while the grills are out I will see if the new Paragon bumper fits🀞If not it will be an expensive trip to the platers with the old one😬 . The paint stripper i used was weak so made it hard work , everything nowadays, (weedkiller, glue etc) all seems to be watered down to protect us from ourselves or something πŸ‘πŸ˜
It's the NCRS technical guide. I can loan it to you if needed?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Are you going to the Nationals? I could bring it.. and yes, correct screw and bolt markings are the stuff of nightmares πŸ₯΄
I wont be at nationals as new baby to visit, due on 12/14
In ireland 😍. I went to 2/3 nationals around the early 90’s? At knebworth. Must make the effort to go againπŸ‘. I in fact , I an wearing a cccuk tee shirt bought at the Nats. ( I used to buy the cheap ones they were selling off from the previous year! ) 🀣. Could use a medium now as a bit trimmer . Must look in the merchandise page. Off to prime these egg crates now, loosened off the bumper bolts about 1am this morning ready to try new bumper today. 🀞😬

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Nice one. I replaced my rear bumpers with new ones I got somewhere (can't remember) last year as they were really bad. Front isn't so bad, and it costs a lot. So not bothered yet. Many more important things to do first.... like I'd like to get a 3 point seat belt conversion for starters.