'86 Starter Issue

Z06George

CCCUK Member
So I took the car for the weekly shop and it ran perfectly fine until I tried to start it again to come back. Electrics working fine. Left it a bit longer and still nothing so rang the AA, of course when he arrived it started again with a bit of throttle. Reading online it could probably partly be heat soak but he was fairly insistent that the starter is on its way out.

Before I ring Topcats to put a new starter in. Is it worth trying to do anything with regards to heat soak or is it even possible to do a starter replacement at home?

TIA George

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
If the Starter is damaged due to Heat Up issues, too late if you want trouble free.
If damaged install a new Starter Motor and an Aluminium Heat Shield to reduce some of the heat transmitted from the Headers to the Solenoid - do not use a Heat Blanket
not all aftermarket Starter Motors are the same, some have the electrical connections on the Solenoid better placed to be further away from the heat source - The Heat Shield is important

Redlevel

Well-known user
Replaced mine on ramps in an hour.. Fitted a starter button wired direct to the solenoid from the battery too..
You can just see it above the battery. 20200423_182348.jpg