A different train of thought .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Also question for Chuffer:
When the steam engine is producing a lot of grit in its smoke, what does that mean - is it poor quality coal, not hot enough, too hot? Reason why I ask is because I had a rover ticket to roam the line and went on a few engines, but one of them was very gritty and it came in through all the open windows landing on table etc. You put your hand out of the window and you could feel you hand gently getting shot blasted by grit. Couldn't put your head out on that train, you'd go blind (unless you had googles on). Went on that train early in the morning, and later in the day, and it was doing it all the time. The others were fine.
It could be a number of things causing the `grit ` in the exhaust . Coal quality as you say because decent quality is getting hard to come by . The latest fad is e -coal that is brickettes that has about 30% bio fuel additives that are bonded with the coal with a form of glue . As you suggested one loco in particular did it , it could also just be that the fireman was shovelling in a lot of coal dust that settles out of the coal in the tender . That would get drawn straight up the boiler tubes and out the chimney by the draught . Could also be caused by the bolier tubes due for cleaning of soot and ash which is routine maintenance . Another possibility is that the smokebox was not properly cleaned out after the previous day in service . The char that collects there can then get drawn up the chimney by the exhaust blast from the cylinders , especially if no spark arrester has been fitted.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks Chuffer for the explanation.
I am on hols in North Wales for two weeks so may pay a visit to one of the narrow gauge railways although been to them all several times . :D
PS . I did notice that the Urie S15 numbered 506 had very small brickette type coal in the tender that might have been the cause of so much grit flying about . Being small pieces it will burn away to ash a lot quicker .

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Twas a lovely engine, but this one ere was the gritty offender (if it matters, it was the same both ways around):
20220702_131337.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Cracking little locos those Ivatt 2-6 - 2 Tanks , It would have been worked quite hard on the line from Arlesford to Ropley which is a steeply graded switch back known as `Over the Alps ` in the old steam days . That would have chucked a fair bit of crap up the chimney depending on how many carriages it was hauling . I well remember driving a much more powerful Bullied ` West Country ` Class Pacific with a ten coach load over that route in the small hours of the morning in total darrkness and thick fog whilst working the empty coaching stock train back from London to Ropley where the carriages were based . That was a real challenge !! We were returning after hauling the Cathedrals Express from London to Bristol and back . One hell of a long shift that was . :(

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I read a lot of the info they had at the stations, and yeah they mention the "Over The Alps" as well. That particular loco had four coaches on it, as you can see here:
20220702_150141.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Not a demanding load then . The bunker looks almost empty so the fireman was probably digging around in lots of coal dust and the bottom of the bunker .

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Not a demanding load then . The bunker looks almost empty so the fireman was probably digging around in lots of coal dust and the bottom of the bunker .
That photo was taken near the end of the day / one of the last train runs. It gritted first thing in the morning with a full load when I first got there. Still, lovely engine though.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I took a trip down memory lane yesterday , or rather the Cambrian Coast Line from Machynlleth to Pwllheli and back . It`s hard to believe it was 35 years to the very month since I last travelled on the line . Where have the years gone between these two photos being taken ? Modern diesel multiple units ( DMU ) now operate all the services as DSC_0804.JPG7819 at Machynlleth.jpgseen here arriving at Machynlleth Station where the old steam loco depot used to be . It`s now a modern DMU servicing depot . Back in July 1987 I was support crew for a week of daily steam hauled specials along the spectacular coast line and mountain scenery hauled by GWR `Manor` class loco number 7819 ` Hinton Manor` . Seen hear hauling the carriages out of the sidings at Machynlleth ready for the first train of the day . The day sure brought back happy memories . :D

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Was on the beach yesterday at Fairbourne where the narrow gauge Fairbourne - Barmouth Railway runs along the dunes to Penryn Point where it connects with a ferry boat across the estuary to Barmouth Harbour . They have two of these lovely replicas of old Lynton & Barnstaple Railway locos from the days of the Southern Railway . Got chatting with the driver and they are actually using proper Welsh Steam coal which will soon be a thing of the past when the one remaining pit closes down soon . :( (n)DSCF2972.JPGDSCF2971.JPG

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Gotta love the small trains in Wales. Here starts a series of post spam about Welsh heritage trains.
Us being chased up a hill by a steam engine:
20220611_120744.jpg
20220611_113655.jpg
20220611_113231.jpg

Last edited:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
This one originally was steam, but has been converted to be eco-friendly electric now. As you can tell, the driver wasn't amused by the conversion:
20220615_152520.jpg
20220615_154340.jpg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Lets play, spot the train:
20220616_113901.jpg
Different engine, being used as a maintenance train for the rail gang (blimmin tourists got in the photo):
20220616_111528.jpg

Attachments

• 20220616_113850.jpg
    20220616_113850.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 0

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
A slightly bigger small Welsh train, complete with battering ram on the front to get rid of those dang tourists getting in the way taking photos.... ohh..... hang on....
20220616_125918.jpg
20220616_125948.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Great phots CaptainK , looks like you `griced` every narrow gauge railway and tramway in North Wales :LOL: . The Great Orme Tramway is a delight isn`t it ?
Love the 7 inch gauge model of Britannia too (y). Did you travel on the WHR or the Ffestiniog Railway ? Stunning scenery !! Several years ago when on holiday we booked tickets to travel on the FR and amazingly the driver on loco ` Linda` was an old Severn Valley Railway buddy of mine so I got a footplate ride from Porthmadog up to Blaenau Ffestiniog . Terrific fun and those little locos sure do work hard .

Roscobbc

I have very happy memories of having a family holiday in the early 60's in Mid/North Wales and trips on the Ffestiniog and narrow guageTallaghin railways, wonderful fish and chip meals in Barmouth and the beach a few miles south. We would also occasionally see small red and silver coloured radio controlled jet powered drones (operating from the local RAF base) flying out over the sea.