Another L88 pops up on BAT

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I guess the seller of this one-off blue / blue '68 L88 thought the $600k+ the recent black L88 brought was good enough so this one is now for sale and currently at $150k with just under eight days to go. Haven't seen a reserve mentioned so like the black one, could be a very brave seller. We've all seen C2's bring big numbers so it's great to see these special C3's fetching big bucks even if there's not many out there. I think I preferred the black one but would take either in a pinch!

1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88 4-Speed for sale on BaT Auctions - ending March 24 (Lot #45,006) | Bring a Trailer

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
A friend of mine sold his one about 20 years ago, can’t remember the exact amount he got for it, I think it was about $100k. He’s probably kicking himself when he sees what they are making now. His was white, black interior.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
A friend of mine sold his one about 20 years ago, can’t remember the exact amount he got for it, I think it was about $100k. He’s probably kicking himself when he sees what they are making now. His was white, black interior.

Still 20 years ago, $100k was a lot for a C3 Corvette. Maybe 10 years back I was in Kent so called into Claremont and they had an orange L89 covertible but at £90k well out of my reach. Some time later I called Tom for a part I needed and mentioned the L89 "Oh some lady walked in and wanted the best Corvette we had for her husbands birthday" and off it went..

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Still 20 years ago, $100k was a lot for a C3 Corvette. Maybe 10 years back I was in Kent so called into Claremont and they had an orange L89 covertible but at £90k well out of my reach. Some time later I called Tom for a part I needed and mentioned the L89 "Oh some lady walked in and wanted the best Corvette we had for her husbands birthday" and off it went..

Harvey Bailey’s L89 was for sale last year, don’t know what it went for though

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I like blue/blue, my own 65 is Nassau blue/bright blue, but do agree on red interiors looking nice. Pro team corvettes in Napoleon OH had a 1 of 1 special order 1965 Convertible, Nassau blue with a red interior. It looked fantastic.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
L88’s have always been special, and commanded high prices, but now there astronomical. Same thing for Fords legendary 429 Mustang Mach 1. Now there telephone numbers. A friend bought one new, he was a Ford employee so plenty of discount. Ran it until the oil crises of 1973, sold it for next to nothing as nobody wanted it, then got a new Pinto. On traffic light drags he was unbeatable.

Roscobbc

L88’s have always been special, and commanded high prices, but now there astronomical. Same thing for Fords legendary 429 Mustang Mach 1. Now there telephone numbers. A friend bought one new, he was a Ford employee so plenty of discount. Ran it until the oil crises of 1973, sold it for next to nothing as nobody wanted it, then got a new Pinto. On traffic light drags he was unbeatable.
Was that a 69/70 or 71 'Breadvan' Mach 1?

Roscobbc

Thing was.....all of those factory 'Saturday Night Specials' were only ever manufactured to be emissons legal to get them off the dealer forecourt and along to the buyers home. Next day buyer would 'pull' the exhaust and replace with headers, install a set of slicks and an ignition tune and it was ready to race. It would probably have a 4.11 or 4.88 rear end so gas mileage would be crap......

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Thing was.....all of those factory 'Saturday Night Specials' were only ever manufactured to be emissons legal to get them off the dealer forecourt and along to the buyers home. Next day buyer would 'pull' the exhaust and replace with headers, install a set of slicks and an ignition tune and it was ready to race. It would probably have a 4.11 or 4.88 rear end so gas mileage would be crap......

Sounds good to me! My red LT-1 does 8 MPG the yellow LT-1 a little more. Would I change them? No, the 🙂PG are worth it..

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Also, one of the first things to go was the factory wheels. If you picked it up Saturday morning, by late afternoon a nice set of Craggers were on it, ready for the evening.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Also, one of the first things to go was the factory wheels. If you picked it up Saturday morning, by late afternoon a nice set of Craggers were on it, ready for the evening.

Straight after the SMOG I would think. For those that had the foresight to stick the air pump and associated parts on a shelf will have done well with people doing NCRS resto's it's a must have. My yellow one had lost the lot (sold off) including the manifolds with the air injection connections. I managed to source all date correct parts to replace it but beans on toast got really boring after 6 straight weeks :rolleyes: