Another L88 pops up on BAT

TimP

CCCUK Member
There are also 3 C2's on Silverstone Auctions (including one split rear window) for their auction on the 27th and 28th March . All look superb.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Yes, all those parts just thrown away, apart from the few that did save them initially only for the second owner to not want them. Taking up room in the garage, No resale value, probably junked. How’s many fuel injection units were tossed away, worthless for years until the early/mid 1980’s when Sting Rays started to be restored. Same with original motors, it was easier and cheaper just to replace. My friend did the same with a 1969, junked the original, found a used motor from a junkyard, and in it went. He was walking one day, driving the next. No waiting for a rebuilt motor.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
There are also 3 C2's on Silverstone Auctions (including one split rear window) for their auction on the 27th and 28th March . All look superb.

Only looked at the split advert and for £100 - £120k I'd want to know more about how the car is optioned and what is original or born with rather than a bloody history lesson on split window Corvettes! Some historic and high-end cars in the auction but I can't help but wonder if the time is right to sell given the Pandemic and the uncertainty we're still in?

There's a '68 427 / 400 tri power for sale here on the forum that I went to see last December that is now listed for auction at Ascot in April.

Ref 107 1968 Chevrolet Corvette C3 427ci MRP

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Just looked at that 1967 L88 offered at BJ, looks beautiful. One of 20 L88’s produced in 1967, and the only one painted in Sunflower yellow.
This particular car was at Mecum’s auction in 2018, where it reached $1.7 million, but failed to sell. I wonder what it will reach this time.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Same with a guy I know . He owns a Jaguar V12 E Type bought from new . It has been a Jaguar Drivers Club national champion of champions concours winner and he has every invoice , MOT , service document and a log book recording every gallon of petrol and cost per gallon that he as ever put in the tank ( which can`t be a lot ) as it rarely comes out of his purpose built , fully tiled floored , air conditioned garage complete with en suite toilet in case he gets took short whilst polishing it ! Sad git :rolleyes:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
If only performance cars today were like this - only come with a manual gearbox - maybe I'd be more interested in modern cars then.

Part of my attraction for LT-1's is that they were only offered manual. Modern cars however have fantastic auto boxes and the 8 speed in my F Type is wicked fast through the gears.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
If only performance cars today were like this - only come with a manual gearbox - maybe I'd be more interested in modern cars then.
I felt the same for most of my driving life , firmly believing that autos were for lazy old farts that didn`t enjoy driving . Then my epiphany came when I bought my 2004 Jaguar XKR - R Performance . I was ever a Jaguar fan and new I would have to endure an auto if I bought one . After about 15 minutes and never even driven an auto before I thought " why didn`t I do this sooner ? " Admittedly that Jaguar J - Gate box was heralded as brilliant in it`s day by many tests and reviews and the fact that you could use the stick like a sequential box if you wanted some fun . Sticking it into Sport Mode to sharpen up the throttle response and quicken the auto box and change up and down manually and it was a 400 BHP hoot 😁 Switch off the traction and stability control and you shred rubber and hang the tail out in fine style . I also modded the exhaust with the middle boxes taken out and an X pipe insert put in so it sounded more like a V8 should (y)