Anyone here with a set of States Plates?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Howdy all. Been thinking of getting a set of States Plates made up for my 1968 Corvette. Nothing fancy with logos etc, just a normal black and silver plate with "legal-ish" registration number (and year in corner and top and bottom text).

Previously when I went to States Plates they had a "legal UK plate" option for the main reg number font. But now I just have the option of 80mm new gothic, 60mm new gothic, and 70mm US style. I know for "normal" UK car plates the text has to be fairly big, but for us import cars that use the 12x6 inch motorcycle style plate, then we can have motorcycle size which is around 60mm ish.

On my car currently I have a set of boring cheap black and silver plastic plates and the rear plate is bubbling a tiny bit. I've measured the text on my Corvette and they appear to be smaller than 60mm fractionally, and my FTO (import also) has a similar shaped plate but text size closer to 70mm. Part of me thinks to go with the 60mm size as that is what appears to be on the car already, but then part of me thinks that maybe the 80mm might work. I've avoiding the 70 MM US style one purely because the font is not close enough to "legal-ish" for me as its quite obviously different..

I was wondering if any of you have similar States Plates and could advise on which size font you used for you plate, and what it looks like?

(before anyone says it - yes, I've searched the forum and found loads of your photos of your States Plates on C3s, but in none of the posts I found does anyone say what text size or font they used).

Thanks.

Oh and does anyone know a discount code for them?

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
I've had sets made up by States Plates with US style fonts etc. Look just right on the car, I personally don't like the motorcycle square plates but that's a personal thing.
Here's a pic of my C3 when I owned it. Hope this helps.
1684311937879.png

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Yours looks really good with the US style font. The problem I have is that I have the number "4" twice in my reg plate, and the US 4 and a UK 4 look very different, and thus a little bit more awkward to pull off the "legal-ish" requirement.
e.g. (using random pictures from internet):
1684330840222.png
vs:
1684330881946.png

And apologies, our Corvette 12x6 plates aren't the motorcycle ones, I was just trying to state that because we have import cars that have "non UK sized reg plate holes", that we can use reg plates using the motorcycle plate font which is smaller than the car reg font.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Two in one photo !
Awesome thanks. By chance do you know what size font you and the other car are using for your plates ? I'm guessing you are both using the 70mm US style font ? I do like the US style font, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get away with it.

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
Had States Plates on Corvettes for around 20 years now with US style size/font without issues. Did one event in the centre of Newcastle where there was a large police presence standing next to the cars, no questions about number plates.
Here is the plate on the C5.
1684403164038.jpeg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I've had sets made up by States Plates with US style fonts etc. Look just right on the car, I personally don't like the motorcycle square plates but that's a personal thing.
Here's a pic of my C3 when I owned it. Hope this helps.
View attachment 22337
JNH is a period Northamptonshire Reg . I do believe . Being Northampton born and bred I had a white Vauxhall Victor 2000 Reg. No. LNH 300G back in the day .

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
There is a thread on here somewhere about JNH820T including it's appearance on 'Bangers and Cash'. When I bought the car it had 'States Plates' on it with the words 'Bye Bye GTI' along the top, first thing I did was cover this with black tape while I waited for the new plates showing 'St. Louis Missouri'.

Rich

Administrator
JNH is a period Northamptonshire Reg . I do believe . Being Northampton born and bred I had a white Vauxhall Victor 2000 Reg. No. LNH 300G back in the day .
I do believe that car was one of the Saudi Corvettes.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It was nicknamed the flying deckchair back in the day ( 80’s) because of its stripes. I got some original photos from my client Saudi Airlines from when they were all produced and gave them to Sandra dumont the then club magazine editor and the then owners wife.
Bob I think his name was was very impressed that I knew what his car was. I had seen the photographs in my clients office and spoke about them with him. I was totally surprised to see one in the flesh so to speak.

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
Yes it was the last of seven Corvettes that made their way to Silverstone for the GP when Saudi Airlines sponsored the Williams GP team. Apparently this car was the last of the seven to survive.
I gave up a massive history file on the car when I sent it to be sold, just wish I'd kept it and handed it to someone genuine.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I remember it from the mid/late 80’s, it was how I would describe as well used, which it was. It was his daily driver and went everywhere. He kept it clean and tidy, always caused a stir at shows because of the stripes.

Letank

CCCUK Member
Howdy all. Been thinking of getting a set of States Plates made up for my 1968 Corvette. Nothing fancy with logos etc, just a normal black and silver plate with "legal-ish" registration number (and year in corner and top and bottom text).

Previously when I went to States Plates they had a "legal UK plate" option for the main reg number font. But now I just have the option of 80mm new gothic, 60mm new gothic, and 70mm US style. I know for "normal" UK car plates the text has to be fairly big, but for us import cars that use the 12x6 inch motorcycle style plate, then we can have motorcycle size which is around 60mm ish.

On my car currently I have a set of boring cheap black and silver plastic plates and the rear plate is bubbling a tiny bit. I've measured the text on my Corvette and they appear to be smaller than 60mm fractionally, and my FTO (import also) has a similar shaped plate but text size closer to 70mm. Part of me thinks to go with the 60mm size as that is what appears to be on the car already, but then part of me thinks that maybe the 80mm might work. I've avoiding the 70 MM US style one purely because the font is not close enough to "legal-ish" for me as its quite obviously different..

I was wondering if any of you have similar States Plates and could advise on which size font you used for you plate, and what it looks like?

(before anyone says it - yes, I've searched the forum and found loads of your photos of your States Plates on C3s, but in none of the posts I found does anyone say what text size or font they used).

Thanks.

Oh and does anyone know a discount code for them?
I personally prefer the 80mm news gothic as the font is closer to that of a UK plate.
D7D48FBC-9ACB-4104-86AC-FC243B2CBF0D.jpeg
05CDA25C-5C95-4789-887F-C88724EBF5E6.jpeg

These are some examples of the 70mm US style.
76EC61EE-02D0-4346-BD02-8067013DB35E.jpegB005022E-CEDB-4E08-A131-C915E093311F.jpeg

Letank

CCCUK Member
Yours looks really good with the US style font. The problem I have is that I have the number "4" twice in my reg plate, and the US 4 and a UK 4 look very different, and thus a little bit more awkward to pull off the "legal-ish" requirement.
e.g. (using random pictures from internet):
View attachment 22338
vs:
View attachment 22339

And apologies, our Corvette 12x6 plates aren't the motorcycle ones, I was just trying to state that because we have import cars that have "non UK sized reg plate holes", that we can use reg plates using the motorcycle plate font which is smaller than the car reg font.
Even though the 4 on the 80mm news gothic looks like that in the mock up, I think it actually looks like this once made.
B56E4F00-DD78-4AC3-8C3C-B9D1F8B78410.jpeg8074254B-9837-4C79-9568-748C34B22452.jpeg

James Vette

CCCUK Member
02BF64B6-4BE5-4836-8DB9-64575370E866.jpeg

I like the california ones. I wish I could make the text blue like in america but it's not worth the hassle of being pulled over.