Anyone local next weekend can come and have a look at my 1981 please?

Dazaa

Well-known user
Water in my passenger footwell was caused by a leak between the firewall and the birdcage in the wiper tray, when rebuilding the wipers I cleaned the tray out and coated it with 3m underseal, no more leaks

Dazaa

Well-known user
Bin the haynes manual, get a factory service manual for the 81, it will tell you everything you need to know. Post some pics of the engine bay too, then we can see if the carb ect is original or has been changed. I think the 81 had the tbi, if it's been replaced it would explain the unplugged harness

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The 1981 C3 had a Rochester Carb as standard . The Tuned Port Injection that was used in the IROC -Z Camaro was not fitted until the C4 model came out .

Musicman

Regular user
Bin the haynes manual, get a factory service manual for the 81, it will tell you everything you need to know. Post some pics of the engine bay too, then we can see if the carb ect is original or has been changed. I think the 81 had the tbi, if it's been replaced it would explain the unplugged harness
Sorry Dazaa, work got in the way for a few days....here’s some pics

Attachments

• D2649BEB-A9C3-4183-A192-A95F8F9E33E1.jpeg
    D2649BEB-A9C3-4183-A192-A95F8F9E33E1.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 20
  • E73D67EB-6476-4264-851A-7BE247CF736B.jpeg
    E73D67EB-6476-4264-851A-7BE247CF736B.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 2610CA03-3729-4A02-A6AB-B399F12CF75F.jpeg
    2610CA03-3729-4A02-A6AB-B399F12CF75F.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 7F30F3A2-8ECE-4EF6-8BC0-590E37817A5F.jpeg
    7F30F3A2-8ECE-4EF6-8BC0-590E37817A5F.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 8B8A0EF4-C45D-4C8F-BEC2-A05E63CDAE22.jpeg
    8B8A0EF4-C45D-4C8F-BEC2-A05E63CDAE22.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 20

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Dont quote me on this, im an idiot, but...
Having looked at your engine bay pics and compared them to my 1981 Corvette and then having gone in search of pics of what it should look like i strongly suspect that both your and my car have had the computer controlled timing and fueling removed/deleted/binned/junked.
We both appear to have an earlier dizzy with vacuum advance and while your carb is hidden by the air cleaner so i cant see anything, my carb does not appear to be sprouting lots of electrical wires left right and centre suggesting that its been changed for an earlier regular Quadrajunk.
As for that six wire plug thats unplugged, mines plugged in but three of the wires have been deleted (i dunno what the remaining three do).
There is a facebook group exclusively for 1981 Vette owners... Clicky here> 1981 Corvette facebook group
I think this is what the 1981 engine bay should look like, note the red thingy on the dizzy where we have a vacuum thingy (sorry if thats a bit technical)...
1981 vette engine.jpg

Sea5

CCCUK regional rep
1981 C3's are very special cars. They are the only corvettes to be built in 2 factories at the same time. They were the first to be fitted with computer command control as standard and had a unique engine, the L81 that was certified for all states in America. Both auto and manual could be ordered. A new fibreglass mono-leaf rear spring was fitted to all cars with auto boxes and standard suspension. However, they were generally considered gutless because of emission regs and catalitic converters. So after 40 years of use you will lift the bonnet of any '81 and find they are all different/modified. Look at one photo and it may look familiar to yours but chances are it 'aint! Most owners ditched the CCM system and bought aftermarket upgrades (there are loads to choose from). Oddly, mine has retained the original CCM but has undergone a radical transformation with hotter cam, roller rockers, HEI distributor, Bowtie 4 speed gearbox, trans cooler etc. etc. My point is, no 2 cars are the same even if they were born the same (unless they are still bog standard in which case, gutless).
Your recently acquired C3 has been modified but to what extent is uncertain? Hopefully, the car came with some history and receipts so you will have an idea. The fun of owning a C3 (as with any classic car) is learning how it's been put together. As 'Dazza' said, get a workshop manual - you will probably need it! Glad to see you have joined the CCCUK (welcome) - a good source of info and help.
I notice from your engine photos that the bonnet opening cables look worn? The first job on your list should be to change them and/or install secondary pull cables that can be accessed from the underside of the wings. If one snaps the bonnet will not open - definitely not worth the hassle!
Good luck and look forward to meeting you at a Sussex meeting one day soon.