Are They Wiping Us Out?

Roscobbc

When starting my apprenticeship in mid 1966 my weekly wage was then 30 shillings a week, then to become £1.50 - as bad as that seems it was in fact far better than many of my fellow students at our day release courses, many of who were on less than a pound a week. When I bought my first scooter in spring 1967 the following year (after saving-up for 9 months) I seem to recall petrol at 2/6p per gallon (equivalent to 22 1/2p today). Salary eventually increased and I seem to recall petrol prices increasing by 1969 when following a succession of various cars I bought a 1960 Mark 9 jag auto. Yes, I used a lot of fuel on that one.......but event though petrol prices increased I'm sure it was only by a few pennies (not pence). It was decimilisation in 1971 that created inflation. Prices were rounded-up to the nearest figure above the real conversion price and week by week, month by month prices for all consumables, cars, houses continually got higher and higher.......including petrol. If you were a factory worker and had a strong union your wages would increase to match. Other wise the pound in your pocket would buy less.........sound familar? - that's exactly what will be happening in the UK again once energy prices home. We'll all be paying more to heat our homes than we are paying for food....rant over!