Are we still convinced that electric vehicles are the best way forward?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
What a total joke and $7 billion bucks of taxpayers money given to japan

A $4 billion Panasonic electric vehicle battery factory in De Soto, Kansas, will help satisfy the Biden administration’s efforts to get everyone into an EV.

It also will help extend the life of a coal-fired power plant.

Panasonic broke ground on the facility last year.
The Jap company was slated to receive $6.8 billion from the Inflation Reduction Act, which has been pouring hundreds of billions into electric vehicles and battery factories as part of its effort to transition America away from fossil fuels.
The Kansas City Star reports that the factory will require between 200 and 250 megawatts of electricity to operate. That’s roughly the amount of power needed for a small city.

In testimony to the Kansas City Corporation Commission, which is the state’s equivalent of the Wyoming Public Service Commission, a representative of Evergy, the utility serving the factory, said that the 4 million-square-foot Panasonic facility creates “near term challenges from a resource adequacy perspective,” according to the newspaper.
As a result, the utility will continue to burn coal at a power plant near Lawrence, Kansas, and it will delay plans to transition units at the plant to natural gas.

The Biden Regime is FORCING electric vehicles on the American people, and China controls the critical minerals needed for the car batteries.
Ford Motors has poured billions of dollars into producing electric vehicles as the Biden Regime wages war on gas-powered vehicles.
The electric vehicles have proven to be a money pit for Ford.

Virtually nobody wants electric vehicles.

One in five electric vehicle owners in California switched back to gas-powered because of the inconvenience of charging.
It only takes a few minutes to fill up a gas tank, yet some electric vehicles need several hours of charging to drive only 35 miles.
Charging electric vehicles is a total “hassle” say 20% of EV owners surveyed between 2012 and 2018, so they’re going back to gas, researchers found.

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
The Kansas City Star reports that the factory will require between 200 and 250 megawatts of electricity to operate. That’s roughly the amount of power needed for a small city.
Could never buy into the electric vehicle thing, this just sums up the hidden costs in the so called 'save the planet' debate. Long live the V8 I say (y)

Last edited:

Roscobbc

And you can almost guarantee had the car been involved in a collision due to the fault the makers would have initially used some form of deniability. VOSA need all owners to return vehicles to dealers for checks. Even something seemingly simple in conventional ICE cars like an engine failing/cutting out at speed can for some drivers prove very difficult with potentially no power steering, followed by minimal braking assistance after a few pedal applications. For someone non-car 'savvy' with low muscle strength it would seem like the steering has locked-up and the brakes wouldn't slow the car down.

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
Just taken delivery of my electric Lexus, as a company car it's a no brainer.
Electric cars only attract 2% BIK (benefit in kind, tax) where hybrid cars are at least 25%. So by going electric saves me a fortune and gives me more money to spend on the C4👍, not told the wife that bit yet 🤣
So far it's amazing to drive, instant power at any speed, comfortable, every gadget you could think of and cheap to run.
As a company car I think is great, would I buy one with my own money, no I don't think I would.

IMG_20231005_082933.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Electric cars only attract 2% BIK (benefit in kind, tax) where hybrid cars are at least 25%. So by going electric saves me a fortune and gives me more money to spend on the C4👍, not told the wife that bit yet 🤣
So far it's amazing to drive, instant power at any speed, comfortable, every gadget you could think of and cheap to run.
As a company car I think is great, would I buy one with my own money, no I don't think I would.

View attachment 24501
The tax incentives issued by our devious politicians with their own agendas are designed to dupe Joe Public into EV`s with no thought given to the bigger picture of how they can achieve their crazy schemes .

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
Anyone wondered why car insurance has gone up so much this year ?
One of the reasons is the unexpected and rapid growth in EV's on the road.
Repair costs after accidents have rocketed, a lot of EV's are a total loss after what appear to be only minor accidents, which would be repaired on any engine based vehicle, due to battery integrity being compromised or the risk of it being so.
With so many "ordinary family cars" being electrified and costing upwards of £50k this is turning out to be very expensive for insurance companies and many are losing money on vehicle insurance.

Roscobbc

The cause of that major fire at Luton airport is being kept rather quiet isn't it - people are presuming and electric car although a fire chief believes it originated from a diesel car.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The cause of that major fire at Luton airport is being kept rather quiet isn't it - people are presuming and electric car although a fire chief believes it originated from a diesel car.
I will put my money on it being an EV that caused the blaze .

Roscobbc

Dis you hear about the driver of an electric vehicle (last week perhaps) in the UK who couldn't slow the vehicle down - supposedly the brakes wouldn't work and he was totally unable to do anything other than steer the vehicle (sounded like it was an MG) - he called the police who talked him through put a 'sacrificial' police van in front of him so he could run-in to the back of it and bring him to a halt.
Brian Morrison, 53, from Glasgow, said he was heading home from work on Sunday night when he said his brand new MG ZS EV became stuck at 30mph. Police were forced to stop the runaway car by allowing it to slowly crash into their police van. MG Motor UK said it was trying to resolve the matter.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
There are nameplates here in the USA they now say do not even charge the batteries while parked in a garage in case the vehicle catches fire :(
Also since there have been such fires home insurance companies do not want to insure the home for these types of fires are very hot and spread the fire inside the garages of homes to the living areas where your family can be sleeping

So like in cold winter weather and maybe 2 feet of snow and ice, rather of the vehicle in warmer garage you have
to go out in that weather with electrical wires while standing in that or worse when raining standing water

How does countries pass these vehicles to be sold when you can get stopped by a cop for having a turn signal bulb not working ?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Dis you hear about the driver of an electric vehicle (last week perhaps) in the UK who couldn't slow the vehicle down - supposedly the brakes wouldn't work and he was totally unable to do anything other than steer the vehicle (sounded like it was an MG) - he called the police who talked him through put a 'sacrificial' police van in front of him so he could run-in to the back of it and bring him to a halt.
Brian Morrison, 53, from Glasgow, said he was heading home from work on Sunday night when he said his brand new MG ZS EV became stuck at 30mph. Police were forced to stop the runaway car by allowing it to slowly crash into their police van. MG Motor UK said it was trying to resolve the matter.
Not heard of that one , well scary !! How about starting a campaign to ban all EV`s ???

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
There are nameplates here in the USA they now say do not even charge the batteries while parked in a garage in case the vehicle catches fire :(
Also since there have been such fires home insurance companies do not want to insure the home for these types of fires are very hot and spread the fire inside the garages of homes to the living areas where your family can be sleeping

So like in cold winter weather and maybe 2 feet of snow and ice, rather of the vehicle in warmer garage you have
to go out in that weather with electrical wires while standing in that or worse when raining standing water

How does countries pass these vehicles to be sold when you can get stopped by a cop for having a turn signal bulb not working ?
There was a recent incident in the UK where a house fire was started by an electric scooter being charged in the garage .

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Yeah I read that article about the 30mph incident with the MG EV. Its quite interesting to read from my "old school" mind, as my first thoughts where "put the clutch in and pull up the handbrake". But EVs, like most modern cars, are automatics and have electric handbrakes. Hmmm....

As for the recent airport fire, there are some photos doing the rounds and reports etc that it was a diesel Land Rover that started it all, and that the fire people said the burn pattern was wrong for an EV and not hot enough etc. Obviously I wasn't there, so don't know the real facts, just what I've seen on the internetz (which of course is always correct...).

Roscobbc

Yeah I read that article about the 30mph incident with the MG EV. Its quite interesting to read from my "old school" mind, as my first thoughts where "put the clutch in and pull up the handbrake". But EVs, like most modern cars, are automatics and have electric handbrakes. Hmmm....

Many cars are 'drive by wire' - so driver hasn't actually got any mechanical connection with the vehicle - all inputs are transmitted electronically - as for braking system.....who knows?

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
A good proportion of the scooter fires have been discovered to be caused by poor quality after market chargers and cables and nothing to do with the actual "transportation device"! Getting to the actual truth is really difficult these days as we shall probably see with the Luton fire.... There is no doubt that the charging structure [and capacity] in the UK is woefully short of what is needed for the majority of people to go electric. For me, electric range is an issue too and the cost of public charging is 2-3 times the cost of home charging - great. As I only want one car [other than my Vette!], I have found that, for me and my driving requirements, a Plug-In hybrid is just perfect. I get to do something for the environment in terms of tail-pipe emissions and local noise and home charging is cheaper than petrol per mile. I estimate that around 75% of my 10,000 miles in the last year has been on electricity as the range of 40-50 miles [dependent on ambient temperature] covers most of my journeys which are local. For longer journeys, I have a 2-litre petrol engine powering the front wheels when selected. Petrol usage has equated to around 112mpg on this basis and about 40 -45 on petrol alone, I estimate. The electric motor drives the rear wheels and one can engage both for 4x4 mode for slippery conditions. The petrol engine produces 250hp and about the same in torque, the electric motor 143hp and 220 lbs-ft. You can also engage both for max performance. Drive-line power is then limited by the system to 350hp but you get the instant electric torque. The result is a mid-size estate car that has been independently tested to do 0-60 in 4.9secs and 100 in 11.8.... This has caught a few people unawares! Overall range is normally estimated at around 500 miles. I know this format won't suit everybody's needs, but for me, the electric part is great, the total package, so far, is wonderful and the best compromise overall. Just my two penn'orth!

Invetterate

CCCUK Member

View attachment 24501
Glad you like it, Steve!