Are we still convinced that electric vehicles are the best way forward?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
They were from Fortnum's too - sounded really nice - tasted......well, much like any other Scotch egg but with a weird flavour.......but perhaps it was the subconcious 'connection' with single pibe that has 'flavoured' (or not) my experience.
From Fortnums !! Ok yah ! Did it taste like anchovies then ?? :LOL: :oops:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
One of my teammates said I should inform you all in the UK that they are going to mandate there to save the world as to global warming
along with your electric vehicles is to use this to better air quality :)

The tobacco enema was used to infuse tobacco smoke into a patient's rectum for various medical purposes, but primarily the resuscitation of drowning victims. A rectal tube inserted into the anus was connected to a fumigator and bellows that forced the smoke into the rectum.
The warmth of the smoke was thought to promote reducing chances of world ending global warming .

Doubts about the credibility of tobacco enemas led to the popular phrase "politicians blowing smoke up your a**."

As you are most likely aware, this odd tool is still heavily used by all levels of government.

Untitled.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
On Saturday morning, during the heatwave that swept the East Coast, a new electrically powered public transportation bus caught on fire as it sat in the bus parking lot, according to fire officials.
The Hamden Fire Department was dispatched to the CT Transit bus depot in order to extinguish the fire that had spread throughout the electric bus.

According to the authorities, the lithium-ion battery was responsible for the fire that broke out on the electric bus.

“Lithium-ion battery fires are difficult to extinguish due to the thermal chemical process that produces great heat and continually reignites,” the fire officials said in a statement. “Exposures were protected at the scene.”
“Two CT Transit workers were transported as a precaution from exposure to the smoke, and one firefighter was transported for heat exhaustion,” authorities said.

The incident is being investigated by the fire marshal.

The incident comes after Governor Ned Lamont (CT-D) announced a new State Law that requires Connecticut to transfer all State vehicles to electrical power.

burnsup.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Many of us more enlightened people in the UK have grave concerns about the fire and associated risks from EV`s . Thr problem is that the A - holes in power choose to ignore this fundamental flaw in thier policies to drive ICE vehicles off our roads .

Roscobbc

It all stems down from pig ignorant Members of Parliament advised by staff who themselves are advised by supposed 'industry' experts who are totally blinkered to any alternative options to thier views. Doesn't matter whether Tory, Labour or whatever as a group, as individuals they are to a man (or woman) toss pots. The biggest emissions mistake of all was made by our Labour government when it allowed an 'advantage' in terms of tax, fuel and associated legislation to diesel cars........so many years of needless pollution and respiratory problems for city residents.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
AMC were ahead of the game back in 1967 with the Amitron . I imagine that went down like a lead balloon considering the vast land yachts that US motorists were driving in the 60`s . AMC Amitron.jpg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Many of us more enlightened people in the UK have grave concerns about the fire and associated risks from EV`s . Thr problem is that the A - holes in power choose to ignore this fundamental flaw in thier policies to drive ICE vehicles off our roads .
I was at a friends place when he noticed th tiny lithium battery pack from his RC plane had expanded like a balloon. When he pricked the plastic with a knife and the air got in there it started giving off the most Accrid smoke almost like an eruption that completely filled a 15 x 10’ conservatory within 3/4 minutes. You could not breathe at all. Put me off Ev’ s and their batteries.

Roscobbc

I was at a friends place when he noticed th tiny lithium battery pack from his RC plane had expanded like a balloon. When he pricked the plastic with a knife and the air got in there it started giving off the most Accrid smoke almost like an eruption that completely filled a 15 x 10’ conservatory within 3/4 minutes. You could not breathe at all. Put me off Ev’ s and their batteries.
Now we are all encouraged to do our 'bit' for recycling - we've seen the disposal containers at our civic amenity depots........do we really bother to seperate-out the dry and nicad batteries......or simply sling them in the dustbin? - the latter I expect. Presuming the same mindset applies to old, failed and faulty lithium cells we don't have to thing about the potential consequences a few years in the future when all the crap (and mixed battery cells) are a good few feet compacted under a couple of meters of hardcore, sealed and topped-off with concrete........and a lithium battery (as Mad4slalom explains) spontaneously combusts and starts a chain reaction under all that concrete......

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The sooner Joe Public wises up to all the inherant problems assocaited with EV`s , battery fires and disposal of same , not mention the drain on the very finite mineral resources to produce them and stops buying EV`s the better .

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
I run a Tesla Model 3 LR, not the full fat performance but there's nothing in it after 40mph so opted to save myself 10k over my 4 yr lease, I run my own limited company which means virtually no benefit in kind. My previous car an Audi S4 used to cost me £3.5k in bik before i turned a wheel, lease cost was about the same as the model 3. It then used to cost me between £150-200 per week in fuel. (500 miles). Ive just done 20k miles in the Tesla, £56.20 bik and averaging £145 per month in electric. Figure its saving me close to 10k per year for my work shuttle, now that's with having. Its not perfect and its a bit clinical and soulless but it can still outrun BMW 'M' cars and a lot of more expensive so called supercars. Is it the way forwards? works for me.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Always gives me a chuckle when an electric car driver, bored out of their brain, sees a sports car and desperately hopes one quick burst of acceleration might miraculously transform their heavily subsidised domestic appliance into something more interesting. IMO an electric car is the automotive equivalent of Heineken 0.0

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I run a Tesla Model 3 LR, not the full fat performance but there's nothing in it after 40mph so opted to save myself 10k over my 4 yr lease, I run my own limited company which means virtually no benefit in kind. My previous car an Audi S4 used to cost me £3.5k in bik before i turned a wheel, lease cost was about the same as the model 3. It then used to cost me between £150-200 per week in fuel. (500 miles). Ive just done 20k miles in the Tesla, £56.20 bik and averaging £145 per month in electric. Figure its saving me close to 10k per year for my work shuttle, now that's with having. Its not perfect and its a bit clinical and soulless but it can still outrun BMW 'M' cars and a lot of more expensive so called supercars. Is it the way forwards? works for me.
Congratulations , you have been successfuly duped by the politicians and greenies by benefiting from their short term financial inducements to go electric whilst not challenging the medium to long term short comings electrical vehicles and the carbon footprint of their manufacture and altimate disposal .

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
They may work fine for those that drive short distances, have no fear where they go that if a charger is needed that there is one
and what the costs are for charging at a 3rd party for profit charger business.

I have read here in the USA due to the long distances we drive as example a friend of mine living in central Texas, to go buy food he has to pull a trailer, drive 90 miles (180 round trip) !
In those cases, better make damn sure batteries were charged up when leaving home
Also long distances like freeways, try driving at night, bad weather.
And even the next gas station can be 200 miles away and as of now most likely do not have charges or even if they have fast chargers

Also, people get a real wake-up call when in just 3-4 years the batteries go belly-Up and new ones cost more than the vehicle's worth is

Can you imagine here in the USA there are apartment complex that have 400 apartments,
and no chargers, their wiring from the street side can only handle 100 amps max main and home charger requires 40-50 amps ?

There have been brown-outs here in Texas this hot summer ( 105F deg Plus, every day for 60 days plus, and heat index is another 15 deg) and due to getting suckered into making electricity via mostly wind Turbos,
but lots of days with NO wind, those put out nothing and now brownouts turning off A/Cs in this heat

Now add vehicle chargers, no fricking way going to happen.
Should have gone nuke power plants like in the early 1970s

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Congratulations , you have been successfuly duped by the politicians and greenies by benefiting from their short term financial inducements to go electric whilst not challenging the medium to long term short comings electrical vehicles and the carbon footprint of their manufacture and altimate disposal .
It’s like I said Chuffer it’s clinical and soulless but it ain’t a bad car by a long way and I constantly travel the country using the supercharger network without a single problem and save 10k a year the the short term greenie bonus it is for me. The disposal of any car ICE or Electric will have an impact on the environment. Ignorance is bliss for some.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
They may work fine for those that drive short distances, have no fear where they go that if a charger is needed that there is one
and what the costs are for charging at a 3rd party for profit charger business.

I have read here in the USA due to the long distances we drive as example a friend of mine living in central Texas, to go buy food he has to pull a trailer, drive 90 miles (180 round trip) !
In those cases, better make damn sure batteries were charged up when leaving home
Also long distances like freeways, try driving at night, bad weather.
And even the next gas station can be 200 miles away and as of now most likely do not have charges or even if they have fast chargers

Also, people get a real wake-up call when in just 3-4 years the batteries go belly-Up and new ones cost more than the vehicle's worth is

Can you imagine here in the USA there are apartment complex that have 400 apartments,
and no chargers, their wiring from the street side can only handle 100 amps max main and home charger requires 40-50 amps ?

There have been brown-outs here in Texas this hot summer ( 105F deg Plus, every day for 60 days plus, and heat index is another 15 deg) and due to getting suckered into making electricity via mostly wind Turbos,
but lots of days with NO wind, those put out nothing and now brownouts turning off A/Cs in this heat

Now add vehicle chargers, no fricking way going to happen.
Should have gone nuke power plants like in the early 1970s
You hit the nail right on the head . (y)