Bangers & Cash 1977 Saudi Corvette JNH 820T

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Chevrolet great (y) I assume you knew the Corvette.

Hi Funchi. No, must admit didn't remember that one, but see that John Heinricy is featured in the video (ex-Corvette engineer/racer). Had to two nice books (Road&Track and Car&Driver) on early C4's where he was mentioned. Regret now giving them to the new owner of my C4/should have kept them.
IMG_1420.JPG
John Heinricy - Wikipedia

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Fantastic to think that earlier C3's with front air dam and rear spoiler were regularly hitting 200 mph and higher on the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans with slightly de-tuned L88 engines (and presumably tall tyres and an ultra low ratio rear-end).

How many L88 owners/cars in the club/UK Ross (if any?)?

funchi

Well-known user
Hi Chevrolet (y) I will have to have a look for your old Corvette to see if I have a photo.

Me to, I am gutted I think I paid £1 from the main agent for the TR6 parts manual, it was about the size of an old telephone directory and because cars were so simple back then, I really found it better than the Haynes manual, because all the part drawings were exploded so you could see the correct order to rebuild the part.

I now have a TR6 again and no book, but I was pleased to sell the TR6 back then due to the oil crisis, so gave away the book.

Last edited:

funchi

Well-known user
Another post that beat mine coming in I will have to work quicker.

Look familiar to anyone CCCUK Goodwood.

CRN-1.jpgCRN-2.pg.jpg

Last edited:

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
That's amazing Funchi!! It's me if its a 1989 photo. Remember parking up there after coming off the track, when the brakes started to smoke after "going for it." Still remember the "rabbit in the headlights" look on the face of a young couple in their "new" C3, when they spun it several times right in front of me. If its a 1988 photo, its the previous owner. Were you there 1988 (see video above) and 1989?

funchi

Well-known user
Hi Chevrolet I can’t see a video above can I ?

But of course you must be referring to the CCCUK Goodwood video, infamous for Keith’s jean shorts posted previously.

I would not remember the year 1989 myself but sounds spot on, I don’t recall the CCCUK going to Goodwood more than once.

The photo of your C4 Corvette was definitely taken on that day, because I try to keep my photos in order as best as I can, and it is with all my Goodwood photos not posted yet.

Chevrolet I think confession for the soul is not a good thing to do especially on this website, but I remember going around a bend and finding a wider driving line but they had repainted the tarmac green, but at least I did not spin.

Last edited:

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
CCCUK Nationals at the Post House Great Barr Birmingham 1983
The Daytona (before I bought it) just built, brought down on a trailer the night before from Norfolk

Daytona Outdoor.jpg

CCCUK at the NEC Classic Car Show about 85 / 86
When the Daytona was mine, only two cars there, the theme was a Drag strip - Nb I was in front by a nose (rubbish quality pic sorry)

Daytona2 NEC.jpg

Daytona3 NEC.jpg

Some pics of my 80 taken at Beaulieu at the CCCUK Nats 1984 (still not good quality sorry)

1980 Corvette 2.jpg

Yes a large Fig Leaf

1980 Corvette Fig.jpg

1980 Corvette.jpg

funchi

Well-known user
Cheers Daytona Vette (y) great photo update.

I am surprised as my favourite Corvette back then was only the 80/81/82 and I photographed all I came across FCG 121W has not surfaced yet.

No need to thank me, I am only the conductor waving my Baton about (called a stick in Essex) and if any of you want to play good.

I am a miserable old git, world champion moaner and would not give a dam if nobody wanted to play, and I know John would smile, John would know that is exactly what I would say.

No one is surprised more than me how the Banger & Cash post has taken of.

It gives me something to do while this terrible virus sweeps the world.

I will say it is great to get replies when people see there Corvette and add their memories of the CCCUK.

What I am looking to get is a gong from the Queen like the one the Queen gave you, and you are proudly wearing in front of your 1980 Corvette.

Roscobbc

How many L88 owners/cars in the club/UK Ross (if any?)?

Zero listed L88. -
2 no. L71 -
2 no. L72 -
5 no. L36 -
Those no's are picked from members who have bothered to include engine code information of their members details - I'm sure there will be a few more than this. No L89's listed and definately no L88's listed. There will be 454's of course and a few early LT1 350's.

funchi

Well-known user
Hi Roscobbc almost on topic above, do you or any other club member remember when the CCCUK meeting was held at the Golden Lion London Colney we had a club member a little older than normal, who sold a lovely C2 Corvette 427 Tri Power which he purchased new, for a C5 Corvette, which even then raised a few eyebrows, because even then they were worth a lot of money, and now a car like that sky high, I have spoken with Keith Betchi and thinks the gentleman's first name was Alexander.

Roscobbc

Hi Roscobbc almost on topic above, do you or any other club member remember when the CCCUK meeting was held at the Golden Lion London Colney we had a club member a little older than normal, who sold a lovely C2 Corvette 427 Tri Power which he purchased new, for a C5 Corvette, which even then raised a few eyebrows, because even then they were worth a lot of money, and now a car like that sky high, I have spoken with Keith Betchi and thinks the gentleman's first name was Alexander.
That was a little before my time Funchi - did visit the meeting once but without a Corvette - but back then I didn't feel 'part' of things (not being in a Vette) - however I DO recall a 427 tri-powered C2 ragtop finished in a fairly faded and badly cracked maroon colour. Older gentleman driver it (possibly mid 70's) was complaining about seemingly never able to cure fuel leaks and poor running with the carbs. Can't recall the name - he might have come from Chigwell. This was at the American Independent car club local meeting at the Albion pub near Dovers Corner just off the old A13. I only ever went there once as any cars there seemed to be day vans or late model American shoeboxes - no muscle cars - C2 kinda stood out really.

funchi

Well-known user
Hi Chevrolet (Was it a dark metallic green convertible) no I don't think so, I think I would remember that colour because it is a colour that really jumps out at you and not so easy forgotten.

Hi Roscobbc You will be talking about The Albion Pub Dovers Corner which is less than 5 miles from me.

I thought it was a very nice one owner C2 Corvette but I could very easily be wrong, I don't think this member was very active because I don't recall any think else, and I don't recall taking any photos at the Golden Lion.

Because I got two questions I phoned Keith, he is reasonably sure it was silver and I would think that is more likely correct. (y)

Last edited:

funchi

Well-known user
Now we are back in the UK I can’t understand why when I posted the picture of John to jog Chevrolet’s memory I did not post these photos taken on the same day of this stunning 1982 Corvette Collector’s Edition then my favourite Corvette.

John in middle.jpgCE-1.jpgCE-2.jpgCE-3.jpg

funchi

Well-known user
Hi (Roscobbc name edited) curious if you can recognise where the photos of this lovely C2 Corvette were taken, I think you will work it out.

I have no way of telling what year these photos were taken, but about 35/40 years ago, the price looks a lot of money £17995 even then, and the Rover looks to be just above £2000.

C1-1.jpgC1-2.jpg

Last edited: