Buying a ''69 to '72 C3

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
This is the other potential vehicle I was interested in. Again nothing about the parts of the car you can't see but it's sort of only way to my house so I might swing by and have a look! By the way your Blue "72 (I'm guessing '72)....I've got no words (y) (y) (y)

Thanks , recently fitted the correct period lap and separate shoulder belts
View attachment 18744
6D1F95D0-5E41-4322-8AC1-8BE73052EAAF.jpegEAE53D9C-B7EE-46B9-B6B3-3D8238EC7F66.jpeg23970F49-1195-47BB-868C-265EF0628615.jpeg
This is the other potential vehicle I was interested in. Again nothing about the parts of the car you can't see but it's sort of only way to my house so I might swing by and have a look! By the way your Blue "72 (I'm guessing '72)....I've got no words (y) (y) (y)

View attachment 18744
Thanks👍Recently fitted the correct period lap and separate shoulder belts as it had later ones with plastic stalks which has lifted the whole interior. Vette room and workshop still a work in progress but getting there as funds allow👍 Where are you based? Always welcome to pop in if in the area. 491579B5-E90B-449B-A42B-7E1476E890F2.jpeg24270D93-33B7-4B98-9CDF-F0F699BB07C1.png

Rob Williams

CCCUK Member
I was going to say, massive potential for your garage/workshop/man shed!! I'm just finishing my double garage and will probably end up spending more time in there than the house! I'm in Trebursye just outside Launceston and you can e mail me robin794williams@btinternet.com
I'll be back in the UK next week! I aim to check out that '72 in Fordingbridge when I'm back then head to Cornwall. I'm gutted I'll miss the club meet in Callington this weekend. Hopefully make the next one.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I was going to say, massive potential for your garage/workshop/man shed!! I'm just finishing my double garage and will probably end up spending more time in there than the house! I'm in Trebursye just outside Launceston and you can e mail me robin794williams@btinternet.com
I'll be back in the UK next week! I aim to check out that '72 in Fordingbridge when I'm back then head to Cornwall. I'm gutted I'll miss the club meet in Callington this weekend. Hopefully make the next one.
I am in ireland for that meet so wont be there either. There is still a well sorted 1980 for sale near you I think. Rob davis owned it and was at a lot of club meets, Rob recently sold it to his son Brett and bought a 70’s pop , proper 70’,s Hot Rod.
37326378-2946-4B82-B709-B6E625F71977.jpegD5CCD1AC-ADEC-45E4-BBEB-FCE3E86FDA9F.jpeg

Emc

Supporting vendor
I was just looking at a vehicle new on the market in Fordingbridge and advertised on Facebook under "corvette stingray C3". Now that looks like a nice car but again no pictures or info' about the chasis or birdcage. That to me is one of the most important bits to know. A chassis that needs work is a body off job to do it properly and that's not for the faint hearted. Every ad I look at is of a highly polished car photographed from every angle but the underneath. The rear lights in the advert by the way look like the ones off a later car!! Plus I'm not too sure abut those seats, or the grubby engine bay! It's a small block too but as our colleague "fine 69" said earlier, that's not a bad thing!
Here are a few pictures of what my cars are like underneath

Attachments

• 20220812_164730.jpg
    20220812_164730.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220812_135406.jpg
    20220812_135406.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220812_140907.jpg
    20220812_140907.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 18

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Here are a few pictures of what my cars are like underneath
Good work Gavin 👍 back in the day that was one of the main reasons I never bought a vette, it was seeing them from across the street and thinking , “wow! , That baby ‘s coming home with me !!” Then looking underneath and seeing a rusty frame , worn rubber bushes and oil leaking everywhere. The peace of mind you get from knowing your vette is as good below the waterline as above is so reasuring. 😁👍

Reactions: Emc

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
How do you find it without power brakes? I had to retrofit power brakes to mine as I just found the brakes not that great at all. Due to long story, I ended up with two sets of the power brakes retrofit kit. It states its specifically for the 1968 model, but the differences are just down to the brake pipes I believe. The booster, cylinder, and so forth is the same.

(p.s. I love your Vette - stunning looking car. Mine is blue also as you know, but has a few minor issues to keep me occupied like weatherstrip (still not fitted them yet EMC/Gavin.... and still need to ring you about seatbelts. Too busy.), and my paint isn't as awesome as yours. ).

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
How do you find it without power brakes? I had to retrofit power brakes to mine as I just found the brakes not that great at all. Due to long story, I ended up with two sets of the power brakes retrofit kit. It states its specifically for the 1968 model, but the differences are just down to the brake pipes I believe. The booster, cylinder, and so forth is the same.

(p.s. I love your Vette - stunning looking car. Mine is blue also as you know, but has a few minor issues to keep me occupied like weatherstrip (still not fitted them yet EMC/Gavin.... and still need to ring you about seatbelts. Too busy.), and my paint isn't as awesome as yours. ).
My paint is not 10/10 as they only sanded back and didnt strip to glass, hence a lot of sinkage which I have improved by wet sanding and machine polishing . As best I can. Plus a few micro blisters on the rear of t tops. I may in the future strip and repaint but a very good driver quality paintwork , plus the general public probably dont even see what we see on our cars . I did look at upgrading to power brakes but I have full confidence in the braking now i am used to pressing harder. My buggy was the other extreme, disc conversion and no weight of steel bodywork, spare wheel and fuel tank over the front axle !!😱💥💥 I will see in the future. Would like an LT1 Hood at some stage, already have the chrome trims bought off the forum for when/ if I find one.
Love my new belts and easy to fit too. I have a spare set of inner sill lap belt guides if yours are missing , tim p bought me a set then I found mine had the originals under the carpet. 👍33E894EE-CF6C-472E-A154-503DE8B09BF7.jpeg3DCF2338-5B69-4C7C-AF04-D5E96E45569E.jpeg

antijam

CCCUK Member
My paint is not 10/10 as they only sanded back and didnt strip to glass, hence a lot of sinkage which I have improved by wet sanding and machine polishing . As best I can. Plus a few micro blisters on the rear of t tops. I may in the future strip and repaint but a very good driver quality paintwork , plus the general public probably dont even see what we see on our cars .
As owners it's easy to be critical of our own paintwork - we're well aware of all the shortcomings, however small - and as you say, on a casual view the general public only take in the overall effect.
The big disadvantage of a spanking new paint job is that from now on it can only get worse - and the first stone chip or bout of gravel rash is going to give you more heartache than the problems you've already come to terms with.
My own car is far from perfect. It has a serious case of '68 to '72 nose pimples, deep scratches on the left fender and rear right flank, severe bubbling on the hood - probably resulting from some engine bay conflagration at some time - and countless minor chips around panel edges.
They say the camera doesn't lie but I'm sure we all know it can be 'economical with the truth'. I console myself with the fact that what most people see when they glance at my car is this.....

P1320101.JPGP1370660.JPG
(Pictures straight from the camera - no post processing.)

Reality is rather different...:(

richie500

CCCUK Member

View attachment 18744
Just had a quick look at the advert, I am no expert but the dash looks all wrong for the year, not the original steering wheel, engine bay quite poor so would then put me on alert for bits i cant see, birdcage chassis/suspension/brakes (condition). Get more pics before driving down to see and ask about why did they change out the dash???
It looks a nice car on the outside, however it is always what lurks underneath the shinny paint that is the killerScreen Shot 2022-08-18 at 17.18.11.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-18 at 17.17.53.png
If i hadnt imported my car myself from US then i would be heading up to Gavin at EMC, i have seen one of his creations and was very impressed.

Emc

Supporting vendor
Just had a quick look at the advert, I am no expert but the dash looks all wrong for the year, not the original steering wheel, engine bay quite poor so would then put me on alert for bits i cant see, birdcage chassis/suspension/brakes (condition). Get more pics before driving down to see and ask about why did they change out the dash???
It looks a nice car on the outside, however it is always what lurks underneath the shinny paint that is the killerView attachment 18767View attachment 18766
If i hadnt imported my car myself from US then i would be heading up to Gavin at EMC, i have seen one of his creations and was very impressed.
The dash is not correct, it's a mishmash of 77/78

Rob Williams

CCCUK Member
I'm starting to think after what you said (Richie500) and what Gavin Said it's sort of put me off a bit!! These cars are so old now you never know what changes have taken place over the decades. I'm not a purist for total originality but the original cars looked great inside and out so why change them with parts from later vehicles

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
As owners it's easy to be critical of our own paintwork - we're well aware of all the shortcomings, however small - and as you say, on a casual view the general public only take in the overall effect.
The big disadvantage of a spanking new paint job is that from now on it can only get worse - and the first stone chip or bout of gravel rash is going to give you more heartache than the problems you've already come to terms with.
My own car is far from perfect. It has a serious case of '68 to '72 nose pimples, deep scratches on the left fender and rear right flank, severe bubbling on the hood - probably resulting from some engine bay conflagration at some time - and countless minor chips around panel edges.
They say the camera doesn't lie but I'm sure we all know it can be 'economical with the truth'. I console myself with the fact that what most people see when they glance at my car is this.....

View attachment 18764View attachment 18765

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
This was my M coupe that I sold to buy my 72 , Before he spent over 9k having it repainted. Imagine how sick he will be when like you say he gets the first stone chip 😱😩6500480B-FC87-420B-87C0-401B069AD6F8.jpeg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
It looks a nice car on the outside, however it is always what lurks underneath the shinny paint that is the killerView attachment 18767View attachment 18766
Yes , a 72?with the wrong dash would definitely be a deal breaker for me, and imo never worth that money.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I remember very well the first stone chip the first time I took my restored 1960 out. I was absolutely gutted. But, whenever you drive them, you risk the chance of getting that paintwork damaged unfortunately

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
My paint is not 10/10 as they only sanded back and didnt strip to glass, hence a lot of sinkage which I have improved by wet sanding and machine polishing . As best I can. Plus a few micro blisters on the rear of t tops. I may in the future strip and repaint but a very good driver quality paintwork , plus the general public probably dont even see what we see on our cars . I did look at upgrading to power brakes but I have full confidence in the braking now i am used to pressing harder. My buggy was the other extreme, disc conversion and no weight of steel bodywork, spare wheel and fuel tank over the front axle !!😱💥💥 I will see in the future. Would like an LT1 Hood at some stage, already have the chrome trims bought off the forum for when/ if I find one.
I think its the cameras that do a good job of taking photos - like a few people said above, my paintwork has a few imperfections here and there but don't show up on camera thankfully.
The LT1 bonnet is very nice - it came as an added bonus on my Vette, and I didn't even know it was desirable when I bought my Vette (or indeed that it was a special bonnet). At the time it was just what was on the car. :ROFLMAO:

If you, or any club member, want's my spare unused power brake kit, you're welcome to it. No point in it just sitting in my garage taking up space.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I think its the cameras that do a good job of taking photos - like a few people said above, my paintwork has a few imperfections here and there but don't show up on camera thankfully.
The LT1 bonnet is very nice - it came as an added bonus on my Vette, and I didn't even know it was desirable when I bought my Vette (or indeed that it was a special bonnet). At the time it was just what was on the car. :ROFLMAO:

If you, or any club member, want's my spare unused power brake kit, you're welcome to it. No point in it just sitting in my garage taking up space.
I would be interested in the power brake kit if you think it will fit the 72 , it is a job I looked at and it seems doable without major hassle, compressing the collapsible column seems a tad daunting as hammering and bashing is required I read. Let me know how much you want. I will see if any difference in a 72 conversion kit. 👍
I remember very well the first stone chip the first time I took my restored 1960 out. I was absolutely gutted. But, whenever you drive them, you risk the chance of getting that paintwork damaged unfortunately
I

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep

View attachment 18764View attachment 18765

Your car looks stunning Mad4 but totally agree with you . I have little niggles and blemishes and `Crows Feet` in lacquer coat here and there and every one of them annoys the hell out of me but Joe Public and even other car enthusiasts just drool over it and give lots of compliments on its looks and colour . From 5 paces away you might think it perfect . This was taken a few days ago for its new guarenteed insurance valuation certificate , so no photo shopping etc . DSC_0932.JPG

Roscobbc

A 100% perfect car whether a Corvette or something else is totally unnatural.........unless a pristine matching numbers NCRS standard car. Then you wouldn't actually be using the car. You'd be petrified of stonechips, birds 'dumping' on the paintwork (especially this time of year - blackberries working through the avian digestive tract and ending up on your £10K paintjob can be almost indelible) - slipping with the door key and scratching the car, even your fingernails need to be kept trimmed. A 50 year old car will naturally show wear 'n' tear........its a bit like meeting Joan Collins........aging well considering when she was born.......but think of all the hours of prep that much go on before she leaves the safety of home..........pristine looking like your NCRS Vette but a bit unreal for daily use.......you'd naturally expect to see some age related imperfections, some bits 'n' bobs that have had surgery of some kind.......a bit of filler here and there to tidy things up a little.........you'd be afraid to leave it out in the street unattended.....(as in fact you would with Joan Collins)........