C3 Race Car Build

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Was hoping it would be out on track this year but with the way things are that might not happen.

Will hopefully bring it along to a breakfast meet.
I’m looking forward to seeing you racing too.
What series are you planning to run in?

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Spotted the secret ingredient which gets.....
A) added to the diff oil ?
B) mixed with WD40 ?
C) just eaten?
....Mascarpone! 😂😂😂

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Spotted the secret ingredient which gets.....
A) added to the diff oil ?
B) mixed with WD40 ?
C) just eaten?
....Mascarpone! 😂😂😂

Unfortunately I bought too small a size so we ended up with more like digestive biscuit with spread than cheesecake

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I’m looking forward to seeing you racing too.
What series are you planning to run in?

Don’t think this will offend any on here; I’ve been involved in historic motorsport and old cars for a long time. Long before things like Goodwood become popular and it’s got a bit pretentious. Far too many prats in tweed caps who don’t really have a proper interest in cars. So even though I’m trying to make it legal for everything I’ve decided to do Bernie’s V8s with the 750MC. Seems like old club racing. I remember going to places like Donnington and Mallory to watch AMOC meets and there’d be people like me and in the same race would be the likes of Gerry Marshall and it was all much more friendly. There’s just a bit too much money in racing today.

Will probably do the odd hillclimb too for a laugh.

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Don’t think this will offend any on here; I’ve been involved in historic motorsport and old cars for a long time. Long before things like Goodwood become popular and it’s got a bit pretentious. Far too many prats in tweed caps who don’t really have a proper interest in cars. So even though I’m trying to make it legal for everything I’ve decided to do Bernie’s V8s with the 750MC. Seems like old club racing. I remember going to places like Donnington and Mallory to watch AMOC meets and there’d be people like me and in the same race would be the likes of Gerry Marshall and it was all much more friendly. There’s just a bit too much money in racing today.

I can remember seeing a series with the word Thunder in it, Rolling Thunder? at Mallory park many years ago. It was great. All V8s I think. The tussel between a Trans Am & Aston Martin was particularly fascinating. The TA was faster on the straight & would pass the the AM, only for the AM to regain the lead on the bends. We went over the bridge to the pits where the TA driver was most accomodating & let us crawl all over his car! Lovely track, shame it's gone.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I can remember seeing a series with the word Thunder in it, Rolling Thunder? at Mallory park many years ago. It was great. All V8s I think. The tussel between a Trans Am & Aston Martin was particularly fascinating. The TA was faster on the straight & would pass the the AM, only for the AM to regain the lead on the bends. We went over the bridge to the pits where the TA driver was most accomodating & let us crawl all over his car! Lovely track, shame it's gone.

I remember that race series too but can’t remember what it was called very similar to the AMOC Intermarque Challenge. I think the Bernie’s V8s might be similar the spread of cars is the same and the race at the American Speedfest at Brands which could be fun.

Roscobbc

I remember that race series too but can’t remember what it was called very similar to the AMOC Intermarque Challenge. I think the Bernie’s V8s might be similar the spread of cars is the same and the race at the American Speedfest at Brands which could be fun.
Good bloke Bernie - often have a chat with him!

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
You might be thinking of the “Thundersaloons” series that had quite a few V8 saloons, fairly unrestricted modification wise. There was a GM backed Carlton V8 that generally won. Also remember a great looking stars and stripes livery Opel Monza with a small block Chevy.

Last edited:

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep

Excellent. Another Corvette in Bernies V8’s will be great.
Agree, Bernie is trying to keep it sensible, most sports have gone Corporate and money biased though.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Excellent. Another Corvette in Bernies V8’s will be great.
Agree, Bernie is trying to keep it sensible, most sports have gone Corporate and money biased though.

Hillclimbing is still properly friendly and it allows me to sit on my butt with an ice cream for most of the day.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I am not an avid follower of any race series and to my embarrassment I lack detail knowledge that many on this Forum have regarding modern day racing, I love racing that involves Historic vehicles,
I loved "Gentle Men's GT Racing" when it was screened on the TV some time back, I remember Gerry Marshall only too well, when I saw him race at Mallory several times in the Firenza, I was always up at the hairpin, what a character loved his sideways style, I remember one particular race at Mallory that involved two Cobras, wow what enjoyment my dream car - two of them, the race was just between the two of them as they had left the pack way behind them for all of the race, memorable for me was 30 plus years ago, going to see my friend Mick racing his 69 427 at Donnington, he drove to the Track on slicks, post being scrutineered he lost his back brakes, but continued to race only having the fronts to slow him, he came third from last with two full race Astons behind him, I remember the grease from his front bearings had liquefied - He still has the Vette and he is a regular at our Meets.
Speaking Mallory (as a Regional Rep) I telephoned them yesterday regarding costs for an exclusive days fun, hiring the Track just for Club Members- £980 - Ok if there is 50 plus Members may bring the cost down to I presume average Track Day cost per car, but I have never done a Track Day and do not want to put my car and others out there with any old nutter, I would rather take our chances with Club Members - I know they won't catch me - I am good at Social Distancing.
Now Oneball you have the knowledge, where can we go, Members only, to enjoy a Track at reasonable cost?

Apologies, for spinning off, I know Oneball will get the post back on Track soon.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I am not an avid follower of any race series and to my embarrassment I lack detail knowledge that many on this Forum have regarding modern day racing, I love racing that involves Historic vehicles,
I loved "Gentle Men's GT Racing" when it was screened on the TV some time back, I remember Gerry Marshall only too well, when I saw him race at Mallory several times in the Firenza, I was always up at the hairpin, what a character loved his sideways style, I remember one particular race at Mallory that involved two Cobras, wow what enjoyment my dream car - two of them, the race was just between the two of them as they had left the pack way behind them for all of the race, memorable for me was 30 plus years ago, going to see my friend Mick racing his 69 427 at Donnington, he drove to the Track on slicks, post being scrutineered he lost his back brakes, but continued to race only having the fronts to slow him, he came third from last with two full race Astons behind him, I remember the grease from his front bearings had liquefied - He still has the Vette and he is a regular at our Meets.
Speaking Mallory (as a Regional Rep) I telephoned them yesterday regarding costs for an exclusive days fun, hiring the Track just for Club Members- £980 - Ok if there is 50 plus Members may bring the cost down to I presume average Track Day cost per car, but I have never done a Track Day and do not want to put my car and others out there with any old nutter, I would rather take our chances with Club Members - I know they won't catch me - I am good at Social Distancing.
Now Oneball you have the knowledge, where can we go, Members only, to enjoy a Track at reasonable cost?

Apologies, for spinning off, I know Oneball will get the post back on Track soon.

I don’t do trackdays either but the guys on the Mk1 Mini forum do an action day each year at Blyton. Exclusively for guys on the forum limited to 60 cars I think. £140 per car for a full day £79 for a half if I remember. Javelin are the actual organisers

Oneball

CCCUK Member
In a similar vein possibly the safest and best thing to do with your car that’s motorsport related is Prescott Hillclimb Driver’s School, nice day out, you’ll learn a lot and the instructors are usually British Champions.

If they’re still using the mk4 Granada to take pupils up the hill for a demo, it’s quite eye opening.

Roy Lane took me up and apparently in the 10 years they’d be using it they’d not had to change the brake pads!

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
You might be thinking of the “Thundersports” series that had quite a few V8 saloons, fairly unrestricted modification wise. There was a GM backed Carlton V8 that generally won.
That "sounds" right, LOL! pun intended. I don't know much about Motorsport, but I do know it was very enjoyable. Very relaxed & friendly.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
So first proper cock up today, well a while back. When I put the drain plug in the gearbox I ordered a 1/2” NPT tap but notIced today they’d sent me a 1/2” BSP one. Should have checked before using it. So the hole in the box isn’t tapered and has a different thread profile to the plug.

Yep it leaks. Fortunately it’s not assembled yet but got to work out what to do.

So diff cleaned and ready to go back together.
12557CE5-968C-43EA-BD9A-C8E524686EDE.jpeg

New clutch packs stacked
E117EB8F-CFFE-4016-901A-DE8101DB3B44.jpeg

And in place with first spider gear

C53E3121-4121-41B8-9874-888868E8BABF.jpeg

Second spider gear in place and spring pack in

D5707B1F-5D0D-41A4-A9B2-0A118D315541.jpeg
B735D2E9-5ECD-462F-B4E5-629D2DA91046.jpeg

Was about to get the dial gauge out to measure the lash in the spider gears but there’s so much with the original sized shims that I know it’s not right. So disassembly time again.

Good trick if playing with springs is to put a cloth over them so they don’t hit you in the face.

FEE162B0-32BA-4D7B-BC6D-B12942A3B64C.jpeg

And apart again

A85A3F3E-CB10-4AF4-A96F-3A4092615308.jpeg

Last edited:

Roscobbc

Hillclimbing is still properly friendly and it allows me to sit on my butt with an ice cream for most of the day.
Remember fellas that the CCCUK is invited to Kop Hill later this year (Covid allowing etc) - this is not a 'competitive' event and no times are taken. You'll get the opportunity each day to do two runs up the hill. Have done it myself and it is 'exhilarating' travelling at 3 or 4 times the speed of slower vehicles and trying to keep things straight on on the road.........

kentvette

CCCUK Member

Oneball, you probably know, or know of Julian Balme? He is quite vocal about the state of historic racing these days. The same few "pro" drovers in cars owned by a select few and spectators who are there to be seen rather than see.... It's why we gave up on Goodwood back in about 2000 - that and the switch to Veuve Clicquot!

Those diff pics look all too familiar - not that I did it myself. But Theo, who will be known to some on this forum, spent ages getting my diff right, a mammoth task, not helped by "assistance" from some suppliers in the US!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Oneball, you probably know, or know of Julian Balme? He is quite vocal about the state of historic racing these days. The same few "pro" drovers in cars owned by a select few and spectators who are there to be seen rather than see.... It's why we gave up on Goodwood back in about 2000 - that and the switch to Veuve Clicquot!

Those diff pics look all too familiar - not that I did it myself. But Theo, who will be known to some on this forum, spent ages getting my diff right, a mammoth task, not helped by "assistance" from some suppliers in the US!

Yep I stopped going to Goodwood about the same time too.

I don’t know Julian Balme although I did meet him whilst having moules et frites in the lovely little family run restaurant just up from La Source at Spa many years ago. Went back recently and it’s now some Aussie steakhouse!

Yep diffs are a pain if you’re lucky it’ll be together and apart 3 or 4 times!