C3 Race Car Build

V

Vetteheadtony

Chassis now done. Can anyone confirm if the engine mounts have an internal brace where the bolt passes through on both sides or just on the one side like mine?

View attachment 4192
Scott at Corvette Kingdom got them for me not sure where they’re from. The fit isn’t good on these either.

As I understand it they kinda fit where they touch and the rest needs glass and filler.

This might help.

71 L88 fender flare install (front)
Lovely job stitch welding the chassis, every race C2/C3 I’ve seen also Gusset 7CD98F39-4ECE-4A4E-8E17-F27AA95C526E.jpeg7CD98F39-4ECE-4A4E-8E17-F27AA95C526E.jpeg7CD98F39-4ECE-4A4E-8E17-F27AA95C526E.jpegthe front crossmember for strength, just an idea while your at that point.

Attachments

• 3DD8DA58-E5E4-420E-96E1-B763F75019D0.jpeg
    3DD8DA58-E5E4-420E-96E1-B763F75019D0.jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 2
  • AF75BBFC-FE21-4C92-913C-A42DB3D78CF8.jpeg
    AF75BBFC-FE21-4C92-913C-A42DB3D78CF8.jpeg
    491.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks Tony, I'm uming and ahing about gussets at the moment as the regs for some race series don't allow them.

Bit of checking over the engine today, it had a piston melt and was in bits when I got it, but came with another set of rods and pistons which are slightly different to what it was built with and don't give a high enough compression ratio with the heads, so the heads need skimming to raise it.

On inspection one of the heads has two broken valve guide bosses on the damaged cylinder, I think it'll sort but will then need all of the ports machining to match, and obviously new guides and probably valves, not quite so much of a bargain buy!

i-kknLQq3-L.jpg

Crank in

i-hXVz8Wp-L.jpg

The four end pistons in

i-PHtR9ST-L.jpg

And measured the piston depth, all around 30 thou so and 5 thou out front to back, needs a little off to help with the compression ratio

i-c5dZXCm-L.jpg

The welded on balance weights only clear the piston skirts by 10 thou, which is a bit of an issue, so it's either have them removed, the assembly needs balancing anyway, or get a different crank, cock!

i-PMJ7RvX-L.jpg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Decided to go with the full chassis strengthening as per the Chevy Power Book, couple more bits to do then off to be dipped and e-coated in a week’s time.

Vaughan watkins

CCCUK Member
You are doing what I have dreamed about for many many years, not in a position to do it yet but do hope to one day, I would recommend getting in touch with Bernie Chodosh as he has been racing C1 vettes for many many years and would be a wealth on knowledge, and his son is building a C3 race car too, as for race series Bernie has his own race series too Bernies V8's so worth looking into as well as a possible series to run in ?
Good luck and ill be watching progress with interest

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks Vaughan, I’ve already spoken to Bernie and was planning to do some races in his series this year, fingers crossed I get it finished this year!

Think I’d lost the will to live by this point, I’m not a car show fan.

Nick B

CCCUK Member
Bernie is a legend, I used to live in North London in the 70's / 80's and used to regularly take a small detour to go past his house in Egware to see what tasty Corvette machinery he had in his drive.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I remember his flamed C1 from watching club racing many years ago. Didn’t know who he was until I started this project.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Front turrets boxed in, front ARB mounts gussetted, just need to sort the holes for the rear trailing arm pivot as they’ve worn oval and it’ll be ready be ready to take to the dippers on Monday.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
All done on the chassis now, ready to load up over the weekend. Once it’s out of the garage it’ll be time to take the front end off the body, wish me luck.

Going to have to make a colour choice soon. Options are:

Cortez Silver, the colour it left the factory in, I think hey look great but maybe a bit dull for a race car.

Monaco Orange, nice and bright but maybe a bit Camaro

Daytona Yellow, nice and bright but not seen one in the flesh and some photos look great but not so keen on others.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
That’s two votes for silver, there’s two votes for orange here and a Christmas dinner argument about why it’s anyyhing but yellow :censored:

All ready for a trip to Dudley

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Chassis dropped of this morning and then 3 hours of pain as the passenger door wouldn’t open. Eventually managed to release it and got the front end off.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
You're making very rapid progress. Are you planning to remove the firewall as well?
John

No, it’s damage rather than rust. Its had a crunch at some point and the wings, valance and bonnet surround had all been repaired badly. So decided best to replace, not an easy choice, I’ll let you know later if I regret it!

Makes it easier to repair the windscreen corner too. Going to have to repair the wheel arch liners as they’re broken in places.

johng

CCCUK Member
When I went to take my body off I discovered that someone had already replaced the front clip, but hadn't glued it on very securely. I've added a fair bit of epoxy to make sure it stays in place. Still need to glue in one of the wheel arch liners that had so little holding it on that I just cut it off before it fell off!
Are you going to repair or replace the windscreen corner?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I’ve got a replacement for the driver’s corner, both sides and the top. Hoping the passenger’s is ok, will find out later today.