C5 / C6 and ULEZ

PrinceRupert

Regular user
Does anyone know from which point Corvettes are ULEZ compliant?

It seems that as imports they are deemed not compliant until you prove that they are but it is not clear to me which meet the standards.

Roscobbc

It you run the registration number through the TFL website it will normally note if compliant or not. Seems that the 'break' point is pre-2005 - or - or 'historic' status. My '68 is ULEZ compliant accordingly - but still chargeable for the original central area. Your question is of serious importance for anyone travelling in/through/around London when the congestion charge zone moves out to the North and South Circular roads.

PrinceRupert

Regular user
Ah - I just ran a 2005 C6 through the checker and it said non compliant but suggested this was because it was an import and you may be able to prove it meets the standards.

I live inches outside the south circular so it is relevant to me but not a deal breaker.

Roscobbc

Try this ULEZ standards
My previous daily driver was a less than 50co plug-in hybrid and therefore exempt from all congestion charges - however I had to provide TFL with a copy of the manufacturers emissions compliance certification - this can be challenging to source from manufacturer or car dealer. Even though it was exempt for daily charges the system still monitors your movements and you still need to re-register it on an annual basis - the TFL website and its usability is CRAP........

PrinceRupert

Regular user
I just checked a 2008 C6 and a 2019 C7, both of which should I think be exempt, but the checker says neither is. So it seems that imports are automatically not exempt until you prove that they are. So it seems you need to get some sort of emissions data from Chevrolet, but how one does that I do not know!

Roscobbc

I just checked a 2008 C6 and a 2019 C7, both of which should I think be exempt, but the checker says neither is. So it seems that imports are automatically not exempt until you prove that they are. So it seems you need to get some sort of emissions data from Chevrolet, but how one does that I do not know!
Perhaps someone should look or post the question on Pistonheads forum?

Blackzed

CCCUK Member
Just put my Reg through the website Ross linked to above.
It apparently passes the ULEZ.
It's a 2007 Z06, but was supplied by Stratstones, UK, so has the emissions data and TAX!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201122-104150.png
    Screenshot_20201122-104150.png
    188.9 KB · Views: 7

Slick

Well-known user
My 2008 C6 is exempt , and its an import

Worth reading my post (below) copy and pasted from the Gov website

Slick

Well-known user
No ULEZ charge due for this vehicle
Result shown is what you need to pay today, based on your vehicle being new. This may change without notice when our records are updated. You should check what you need to pay each time you travel.
This vehicle result may not be correct if:
  • There’s a recent change of number plate
  • It’s been registered off the road (SORN)
As a guide, new vehicles tend to meet ULEZ emissions standards. However, older vehicles manufactured before 2006 (petrol) and 2017 (diesel) generally do not meet emissions standards. Always check if you need to pay before travelling.
Double check that the vehicle details have been typed correctly. You risk getting a penalty if you've identified the wrong vehicle.
No LEZ charge due for this vehicle
The LEZ is different from the ULEZ - it doesn't apply to cars and motorbikes. This vehicle either meets the required emission standards, is exempt from or not affected by the scheme, or is subject to a 100% discount.
Information is based on what we know about your vehicle. This may change without warning - always check to see if you need to pay to drive in London.
Back

Roscobbc

It'll be interesting to see if there is a 'cut-off' date for this - my understanding is that it's 2006 but I've seen for 2005 (UK/Euro supplied) vehicles that are covered.

Slick

Well-known user
It'll be interesting to see if there is a 'cut-off' date for this - my understanding is that it's 2006 but I've seen for 2005 (UK/Euro supplied) vehicles that are covered.
I get the impression TFL dont know whats compliant and whats not ,( the list of compliant vehicles is being refined and updated) best to check often to avoid a penalty charge ........as an aside , a friends TVR was listed as no ULEZ charge but when he checked again some months later its now not compliant so incurs the charge

Roscobbc

My recent plug-in hybrid daily driver was below 50co and therefore congestion charge exempt. I registered it with TFL for a £10 annual fee, sending them a copy of manufacturers conformity certificate - early in the third year of ownership (this year) TFL started charging every time I went in to central London. Fortunately I hadn't cancelled my old credit card account with them........implications otherwise would have been a whole series of fines. Interestingly they have no 'mechanism' for wrongly applied charges that are not reported within 14 days. It took 3 or 4 months to get the issues resolved - fortunately owning to Covid and being furloughed I wasn't actually going in to the charge zone very often. TFL is a top heavy, grossly mismanaged organisation with a third world grade website. Did you know the administrative side of their 'business' is not even in London - its oop' north somewhere!

Slick

Well-known user
My recent plug-in hybrid daily driver was below 50co and therefore congestion charge exempt. I registered it with TFL for a £10 annual fee, sending them a copy of manufacturers conformity certificate - early in the third year of ownership (this year) TFL started charging every time I went in to central London. Fortunately I hadn't cancelled my old credit card account with them........implications otherwise would have been a whole series of fines. Interestingly they have no 'mechanism' for wrongly applied charges that are not reported within 14 days. It took 3 or 4 months to get the issues resolved - fortunately owning to Covid and being furloughed I wasn't actually going in to the charge zone very often. TFL is a top heavy, grossly mismanaged organisation with a third world grade website. Did you know the administrative side of their 'business' is not even in London - its oop' north somewhere!

TFL and the London Mayor are crosses we Londoners have to bare

rubyragtop

Committee Member
Just run my 2001 C5 'Vert' through Ross's link and it states no ULEZ charge. Car was bought new through a Vauxhall dealership in Milton Keynes (pre Stratstones?) and is fully UK compliant

PrinceRupert

Regular user
Similarly I just ran a 2001 UK spec C5 I saw on FB and it is compliant. Seems UK spec are on their books and are compliant, imports not. Would probably be the case if you could get the right certificate from Chevrolet that an import could be exempted as compliant.

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
Bumping this thread as I'm wondering if with the expansion of the ULEZ if anyone has actually got anywhere with this?

I appreciate the issue will only affect C5/C6 import owners it seems, and whilst I don't drive in the zone that often I do visit family every other week and it's annoying to have to pay the charge simply because the car isn't recognised as being exempt.

Having read the TFL pages it's a case of having the correct CoC and sending that in with the V5 to them. I just can't seem to find a reliable way of getting the CoC.

Roscobbc

I live in the extended zone and I'm ok as my C3 is over 40 years old, 'historic' and not affected - I did need to change our old diesel daily driver irritatingly.
I'm not personally aware of any club members with C5/C6 Vettes who actually live in either the original London ULEZ or recently extended zones. Perhaps ask your regional rep if he or she could make contact with Rob our CCCUK membership secretary and ask if he could check the membership database to see if we have any members living within the zones that currently own a non UK originally supplied C5 or C6 to see how they overcame the issue of qualifying it's eligibility status. (Data privacy requirements will dictate that he will first need to ask any owner for their permission to pass over their respective contact details). It would also be interesting to understand whether (by a quirk of TFL's very inadequate database system) if very early personal import C5's and even late personal import C4's could actually be classed as exempt by TFL.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It would also be interesting to understand whether (by a quirk of TFL's very inadequate database system) if very early personal import C5's and even late personal import C4's could actually be classed as exempt
I wouldn’t think any C4’s would be ULEZ exempt