C8 Reveal

Seahawk 80

Regular user
I have always admired all generations of Corvettes for their distinctive looks. The new C8 carries on that tradition. With as much luggage space for Le Mans trips as the C7, assuming you hack your suitcase in half and put part at the front. I do like it in this colour scheme.
View attachment 3680
Not so fussed on the new emblem though, looks like a copy of another manufacturer.
😀
Joking apart,and I'm not even going to attempt to say that a Ferrari is anything is anything other than beautiful,in modern times when a design goal is the same,the end product is going to end up very similar,especially with computer aided design.I guess that's an argument for sticking with a front engine/rear gearbox design but engineering can only hide an aged design for so long,Porsche have long known this with their rear engine trademark,even though it's been moved so far forward from where it originally was,it is almost mid engine.Rumour has it that Porsche deliberately handicapped the mid engine Boxster handling so that it wouldn't over shadow it's flagship car.

z06_tim

Busy user
Following on from Ford's very subtle marketing campaign for the Mustang only a couple of years after introduction the UK base price of a Mustang V8 auto has risen by£8K -£10K over the introductory price.
Clever selling! - Establish the brand/model/customer desire with an 'affordable' starting price - once demand is established......... and then hike-up the price!

Out of interest your post made me cost the current equivalent of my 2016 convertible auto Mustang GT with custom pack. In round figures my car cost £43k; the nearest equivalent spec in 2019 - with a few minor goodies - is £51k. A fair hike in three years! I guess you are right, a RHD 'Vette at an attractive price will almost certainly attract a previously untapped market but how long will that price remain attractive.

When the S550 'Stang arrived it was certainly a very cheap and aggressively styled 400+ HP four seat performance car compared with the domestic and euro equivalents. I guess the gap is narrowing.

My feeling is the Mustang price hike was just to claw back a similar profit from a much worse GBP/USD exchange rate.

I did a quick calc. based on a £40k car here with a GBP/USD rate fall from around 1.55 to 1.3. This shows you need to price about £8k more in the UK!

I'm sure we've seen a similar trend with new car prices across the UK over the last 3-4 years. Possibly not the 15-20% price rise with Mustang, but you can see it in the run of the mill Fiestas and Focus'.

New Corvette looks spectacular to me. I can't wait to read and see more. Mid-rear engined is definitely the right direction to go.

Roscobbc

'Word' is that IAM already have 20/25 advance orders for UK spec' (not Euro) RHD C8. Availability of official RHD imports will be from Feb 2021 onward - prices/spec's TBA/
Initial deposit 'secures' your car - further deposit locks-in build 'spec' at a later stage. All to be confirmed.