Car cover or not

Nigel curry

CCCUK Member
Hi all
I am getting info/advice from people who know more than me about out door car covers!i have looked at many covers and considering the car will be freshly painted!i would be interested in any more advice.My options would be always outside so with or without!!any opinions would be welcome thanks
Nige

antijam

CCCUK Member
It's not ideal to closely cover a glassfibre bodied car outdoors, but if the alternative is the car getting plastered with birdshit and insect droppings a cover may be a preferable solution. Never use a waterproof cover on a glassfibre car, go for a soft breathable type such as those supplied by Hamilton Classic. Don't put the cover on a dirty car (you'll end up with a lot of swirl marks at best) and make sure it's tied on securely. A breathable cover will allow a wet car to dry out when covered. Don't leave the cover on for long periods and remove it regularly to allow any trapped condensation to evaporate. If the car has been properly prepped as a glassfibre car before paint, there should be minimal risk of subsequent blistering using a breathable cover.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
My car stands out under a breathable cover. Stormforce. Not ideal but it's not deteriorated much after six years. New cover about £150 every three years. Will be due another after this winter. So having no garage isn't the end of the world, although if I had a show winning car the above wouldn't apply :(

Rich

Administrator
It seems from the comments on the other thread that a car cover is a no, no.
I have to agree having used a cover on two cars quite a while ago. One caused chaffing and the other caused blisters in the paint.

Nigel curry

CCCUK Member
What about a carcoon anyone any thoughts?
I have looked in to them and they seem good if not a bit expensive but you do need the room for manoeuvring in and out of them .I have had a frame made of light steel and I am going to fix it to the wall of my drive(a lean to if you will)and I am going to use a light tarp to cover leaving both ends open for ventilation.Total cost is approx 400 gbp so far which is not to far behind the car coon but I think/hope my method will be easier to dismantle and store frequently
Regards nige

Vaughan watkins

CCCUK Member
I strongly don't recommend a car cover on an outdoor kept car, especially a repainted fiberglass car as it causes it to sweat and can pull up moisture from under the paint causing micro blistering, happened to my viper after only a month, whereas my c3 corvette that's been in a carcoon for 5 years has not deteriorated at all, bit of a faf but keeps the car dry and in tip top condition, I have two of them on my drive and can highly recommend them, if you read the instructions on any outdoor car cover it will generally state do not use on a repainted fiberglass car.

Steamoilking

CCCUK Member
I can report that the carcoon is working well, yes bit of a faff putting over the top and zipping it up.But until i find a decent brickie to build me a large garage its been a very worthwhile investmentand considering the car age, condition and cost.

Attachments

• IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 5

Vaughan watkins

CCCUK Member
I can report that the carcoon is working well, yes bit of a faff putting over the top and zipping it up.But until i find a decent brickie to build me a large garage its been a very worthwhile investmentand considering the car age, condition and cost.
Glad its worked out for you, money well spent as it will take good care of your vette :)