CARS America, Hailsham

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
As you said previously, the chances are it will either be broken up for spares etc, or sent abroad as a whole vehicle.

phild

CCCUK Member
What’s the insurance companies point of view? Are they/will they treat it as a theft and start to process “your “ claim? Will they decide to “wait and see” before they start a claim process. Either way, can you make sure you are given first refusal on the car if it is eventually found.
The insurer, Axa, are very supportive and were willing to commence a claim. I wanted it logged as information only while the police are investigating. If the police are unable to do anything for whatever reason then a claim will follow. So far so good but I really want the car back as it was to have been my retirement treat and pleasure.

Worst case, if it is found, then I'll get the salvage rights as its on a historic policy.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
I cannot begin to imagine how this must feel, you are certainly handling it with dignity and a level head that many would not.
I hope your pride and joy is found, undamaged and returned to you swiftly.

Everything crossed for you, good luck Sir.🤞

phild

CCCUK Member
I cannot begin to imagine how this must feel, you are certainly handling it with dignity and a level head that many would not.
I hope your pride and joy is found, undamaged and returned to you swiftly.

Everything crossed for you, good luck Sir.🤞
Thanks for the compliment, although if I ever meet Mr Simmons again I may display my dignity with the aid of a baseball bat! :):):)

Cold comfort but there are other American car owners who are in the same position. When I went to the premises last, only two or three months ago, there were around twelve or fifteen other cars there. Anyhow I'll let you all know the outcome whatever that may be.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Good to hear your insurance company is taking it seriously. Unfortunately you only tend to find out how “good” your insurance company is, is when you put in a claim.

Car update

New user
Does anyone know how to contact John Simmons, owner of CARS America of Hailsham, East Sussex?

Business premises now closed and empty, no response to e mails, no telephone and website taken down.

John has my Corvette and, most likely, several others vehicles and I would like it back.
Please contact me. I have been asked to remove this I think

Roscobbc

To all members viewing this thread can I respectfully suggest that we all refrain from any further comment for the time being until club member Phild ascertains what interest new user 'Car update' has to do with the situation.

phild

CCCUK Member
Please contact me. I have been asked to remove this I think
No, mine is blue but there are quite a few others in the same predicament and you may be referring to one of those. It would be interesting to hear how you have become involved. If you have anything relevant to my situation please PM me..

This matter is now in the hands of the Police and my insurers, I will update when anything transpires from their investigations.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That’s probably the correct procedure to take. You’ve done everything that’s needed to be done. Tried to contact the company involved, then contacted your insurance company and the police. It’s in their hands now.
yes, keep your ear to the ground so to speak and inform the police as needed.

phild

CCCUK Member
A little update. Had an e mail from Simmons last night telling me not to worry and my car is safe in a friends garage. He has not revealed where this is and I have requested he do so as I wish to recover it.

The cynic in me thinks this may be buying time after a, possible, visit by the local Police as they, coincidentally contacted me over the weekend saying that they were on the case, so to speak.

He seems to have set up a company called South East Vehicle Repairs, according to the new e mail address, so watch out and avoid! :)

I'll update when/if I get the car.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
A little update. Had an e mail from Simmons last night telling me not to worry and my car is safe in a friends garage. He has not revealed where this is and I have requested he do so as I wish to recover it.

The cynic in me thinks this may be buying time after a, possible, visit by the local Police as they, coincidentally contacted me over the weekend saying that they were on the case, so to speak.

He seems to have set up a company called South East Vehicle Repairs, according to the new e mail address, so watch out and avoid! :)

Good news in that you have had contact from him and hopefully he does the right thing, Ifeel this may have a happy ending for you , good luck, 👍😁

phild

CCCUK Member
Good news in that you have had contact from him and hopefully he does the right thing, Ifeel this may have a happy ending for you , good luck, 👍😁
Thanks, but I'm not getting high hopes just yet and I'm still leaving the Police to do their stuff, and keeping Axa on alert, until its recovered in a good state.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member

Everything crossed for you! 🤞🙏

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Something worth considering is a search of the Land Registry to see who owns the property from which the business was trading. It may be owned by the former proprietor or his company and, if so, might conceivably show a home address for service of documents etc.

More likely the premises will have been leased in which case a Land Registry search will show you the name of the landlord and, very likely, the landlord's service address. If you then contact the landlord you may find either that he has useful information or that his interests in finding the former proprietor are closely aligned with yours.

Land Registry search can be made online using the street address of the premises and costs about £3 per item. You will definitely want to see the "Title". (You can also get the accompanying "Plan" and, if necessary, do a map search.) Link below,
Search for land and property information

(Make sure you use the official Gov website on that link, otherwise you'll just get charged more for the same thing by one of the many internet middlemen....)

phild

CCCUK Member
Something worth considering is a search of the Land Registry to see who owns the property from which the business was trading. It may be owned by the former proprietor or his company and, if so, might conceivably show a home address for service of documents etc.

More likely the premises will have been leased in which case a Land Registry search will show you the name of the landlord and, very likely, the landlord's service address. If you then contact the landlord you may find either that he has useful information or that his interests in finding the former proprietor are closely aligned with yours.

Land Registry search can be made online using the street address of the premises and costs about £3 per item. You will definitely want to see the "Title". (You can also get the accompanying "Plan" and, if necessary, do a map search.) Link below,
Search for land and property information

(Make sure you use the official Gov website on that link, otherwise you'll just get charged more for the same thing by one of the many internet middlemen....)
We did establish his residential address using a detective agency. A neighbourhood search verified occupancy but he's continued to be unresponsive to e mails, phone calls and letters from lawyers. He will not answer the door to civilian agents even though they had established he was present indoors.

That is now why it is in the hands of the Police and insurers.

If/when I recover the car then I'll see if I can take it further by establishing Simmons financial status, apparently that's quite easy, but no point going for him if he's potless.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
We did establish his residential address using a detective agency. A neighbourhood search verified occupancy but he's continued to be unresponsive to e mails, phone calls and letters from lawyers. He will not answer the door to civilian agents even though they had established he was present indoors.

That is now why it is in the hands of the Police and insurers.

If/when I recover the car then I'll see if I can take it further by establishing Simmons financial status, apparently that's quite easy, but no point going for him if he's potless.

Well if your missing Corvette is the L71 in your sig I can fully understand you wanting it back pronto. Best of luck 🤞

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Everything crossed for you! 🤞🙏
Hope everything IS ok, but I would want a lot more than a phone call telling me my cars all OK and in a friends garage. I would want to know exactly where it is, and arrange collection of same ASAP. Assume everybody is a crook.