CARS America, Hailsham

The Major

Regular user
Thanks Ben. As you say Simmons appeared to be a decent guy but after four and a half years of excuses and hard luck stories, to be fair Covid didn't help, I just wanted my car back. Had he allowed me to recover it then all would be well, too late now unfortunately.
Hi, He also has my Trans Am! He has likewise fobbed me off with lots of hard luck stories, charged me a fortune and then took me to small claims court for the final balance of £3,000 (I had already paid £10,500). I am now dealing with the police to try and recover my car... I feel the money is lost!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Hi, He also has my Trans Am! He has likewise fobbed me off with lots of hard luck stories, charged me a fortune and then took me to small claims court for the final balance of £3,000 (I had already paid £10,500). I am now dealing with the police to try and recover my car... I feel the money is lost!
Wow. Sounds like a real stand up guy. Not.
I feel very sorry for all you guys, I now consider myself very lucky in all my dealings with garages both here in the UK and the USA. Never any problems.
Hope it all works out for you all, and that you get the safe return of your vehicles.

phild

CCCUK Member
Yes, we share the same pain except I'm in credit with him. We're, sadly, in good company as I know of three suppliers who are out of pocket for non-payment and probably others who are also trying to recover their property.

phild

CCCUK Member
Hi, Did you also get asked to remove my Trans Am? A silver 95 Reg N513MVF.

Latest news, I had an e mail from Simmons prompted by my legal counsel I suspect, he wants to deliver my car end of next week. Needs time, apparently, as the car and associated parts are in three different locations. That's rather worrying as it was in one piece when I last saw it.

The Police don't seem to have done anything and its proving as difficult to get hold of them, for an update, as it is for Simmons. Simmons still steadfastly refuses to provide a collection address for my new restorer to pick up whatever's left of my car which is also concerning.

The Major

Regular user
Thank you for the update. I have to say that I am finding the Police very turgid in their investigations too. However, I have received contact from a couple of users from this site who are actively on the look-out for either John Simmons or my car! The one comforting point from your update is that Simmons appears to be aware of where he has "stashed" our cars!

Roscobbc

Have either of you considered talking with your local MP about the situation - perhaps they could persuade the police to be more 'communicative'..........(presuming of course you actually have an MP currently?)

phild

CCCUK Member
Have either of you considered talking with your local MP about the situation - perhaps they could persuade the police to be more 'communicative'..........(presuming of course you actually have an MP currently?)

Politicians are about as trustworthy as Simmons, although I'm not sure if that's a slight on MP's at this stage. :):):)

Roscobbc

Politicians are about as trustworthy as Simmons, although I'm not sure if that's a slight on MP's at this stage. :):):)
Doesn't matter as long as the respective politician is prepared to put some pressure on local police, or better still police commissioner.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I don't want a lot. I just want to be able to run classic cars without dreading going to the pump. I don't care about being rich I just care about this hobby.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
He’s obviously holding onto the cars as some sort of leverage for payment on “ work done but not paid for” his refusal to tell owners where their cars are proves that . Hopefully you will all get your vehicles back, but in what condition is anybody’s guess.

phild

CCCUK Member
He’s obviously holding onto the cars as some sort of leverage for payment on “ work done but not paid for” his refusal to tell owners where their cars are proves that . Hopefully you will all get your vehicles back, but in what condition is anybody’s guess.
Not so in my case as his invoices prove I'm in credit. I just think he's trying to remain unobtainable as there may be those that would like to pay him a visit.

I do have his personal address and mobile number which i provided to the Police although they don't seem to have acted on this. If anyone would like Simmons details then please message me. They were obtained via a solicitor so available in the public domain, if you know where to look, therefore no GDPR issues.

phild

CCCUK Member
Latest update. Simmons, after a lot of kerfuffle and delaying tactics, was finally persuaded to return the vehicle and it now resides safely at CCM Vettes. Unfortunately a cursory inspection, by Tom Falconer no less, reveals the car to be a very sorry state and, in Tom's words, a bit of a project which is at odds with the condition when I last saw it in March.

It would appear that it has been used as a spares source and items, such as gearbox, have been removed and are just laying on the seats which were freshly upholstered, assuming the original seats are still in the car. I suspect the gearbox may not be the original since there was never any reason to remove it in the first place and was definitely in situ when I last saw the car.

Apparently Simmons was saying, to Tom, that this was all my fault and that I cannot be trusted and don't do any business with me. So he's in denial it would seem.

Anyhow, we will make a full assessment next week and see where we go from there. It is likely that it will be uneconomic to do anything further and i may just have to sell it for spare parts and suck up the, considerable, losses. Heaven knows how many others have been affected but I know of at least three to whom I have passed on Simmons details, hope they have better luck that I.

Disappointingly the Police appear to have done nothing and I haven't heard from them during the month since the theft was reported and it has proven impossible to contact anyone to gain updates.

phild

CCCUK Member
What a nightmare ! That Simmons guy needs a good sorting out . :mad:
Oh yes, he certainly does. My courses of action will be within the bounds of the law and I''ll examine options when we 've done the assessment.

I do hope someone who is less bothered about the law than I provides Simmons with his just deserts though. :)

Roscobbc

Irrespective of whatever action you may take that's within the law the car community needs to make sure that Simmonds name and what he has done is circulated. Can't see why a 'group' complaint from yourself and other affected people to (hopefully) an understanding local MP about the total lack of information or feedback from the police might prompt some assistance from the police.

phild

CCCUK Member
Irrespective of whatever action you may take that's within the law the car community needs to make sure that Simmonds name and what he has done is circulated. Can't see why a 'group' complaint from yourself and other affected people to (hopefully) an understanding local MP about the total lack of information or feedback from the police might prompt some assistance from the police.
Agree with you Ross, but as I have the car back now its a civil matter. With hindsight I should have reported this as racially motivated, I am Welsh :), it may have got some attention.

However I will not be letting Simmons off by any means. There are quite a few, cost effective, actions I can take and I will do so. But first things first and to get a full assessment of the vehicle condition is priority.

Thanks to you all for the support, its appreciated. :)