Catalina Flying Boat

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Unfortunately you are so very right Keiran ! :(
Back at school my teacher kept saying to us that it was " i before e, except after c". Which I always found wEIrd, considering my wEIght and hEIght, so I had to fEIgn interest in it.....

But yeah, my silly spelling name is as teacher said - i before e, except after c - Kieran. Still, at least you can guess why most people just call me "K" nowadays :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (which is the "K" in my forum username)

antijam

CCCUK Member
Thanks, good to meet someone else with a connection to the Mosquito - hats off to your dad for doing a sterling job with these beasties :). My Granddad was also going to fly the Mosquito, but if I remember correctly he failed the physical due to colour blindness I think. Hence he worked on them instead. He did go up in them a few times though, and mum and dad have some nice photos of his war time that they inherited. Unfortunately I don't know where he was based etc, but I do vaguely remember "his" Mosquitos were involved in the Dambusters raids I think - either the scouts beforehand, or the photo recon afterwards. My memory is not great at all, but I know we do have a photo of a busted dam somewhere.
Indeed, nice to hear of another family with memories of the Mosquito. Although rather overshadowed in the public's mind by the (rightly) famous Spitfire and Lancaster the Mossie also excelled in both their fields. On it's first flight as a fighter version it was faster than a Spitfire and as a bomber it carried a greater bomb load than the 4-motor B17. It impressed not only those who flew and maintained it, but it's enemies as well. Herman Göring apparently said "The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops." - He was probably having a bad day. :(

Interesting that you mention the Dambusters . Mosquitos did indeed accompany the Lancasters of 617 Squadron on the raid and a sad irony is that Guy Gibson, who led the raid in a Lancaster, died in action in a Mosquito a year later.
My father who flew many types of aircraft was impressed by the twin - engined Mosquito above all others. As the RAF moved into the jet age after the war, he transferred to 504 Squadron flying Gloster Meteors, which he really enjoyed. By the look of this grinning crowd, he wasn't the only one.....

image0-003.jpg

My father is third from the right, front row. Family association with aircraft must have rubbed off on me. I never had any desire to fly, but I did train as an aeronautical engineer and my first job after qualifying was as a Design Engineer on Concorde - another exceptional aircraft. :)

Last edited:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Nice one. The family association with flying rubbed off on me, and like my Granddad I wanted to be a pilot. But unfortunately also like him, I wouldn't have passed the physical back in my early days due to well, lots of things wrong with me :ROFLMAO: (and still wouldn't) so I never applied. I have done a couple of flying lessons though, but I know I'd never be able to hold a pilot's licence. So gave up on that dream.

Roscobbc

Great memories fella's - and ones to cherish and pass on to future generations. My own father would have been in his very late teens/early 20's when WW2 began. He had done an apprenticeship and was working as a toolmaker and universal grinder at Ford's, Dagenham. His own father had been at Briggs Motor Bodies, initially at Manchester and then moved down to East London as a Foreman when Briggs was assimilated by Fords and they built the Dagenham plant. I know my father applied to join the RAF (with, no doubt the same dreams as many young men of flying aircraft) - but then (as now) it took a special kind of person to do that and Dad was colour blind to start with, in a 'reserved' occupation so that wasn't going anywhere. In the turmoil of getting back on the countries 'feet' after WW2 he worked for several engineering companies sub contracting to the aircraft industry - one needs to remember that the UK, although effectively 'bust' was then during the 50's and 60's worlds leading hi-tech aircraft manufacturer. Dad was working on producing advanced components for aircraft like the Fairy Rotodyne helicopter and the TSR2 'ground hugging' multi-purpose fighter bomber. The aircraft industry was decimated by a then Labour government 'pulling' all these aircraft, giving the 'secrets' away to the American's and creating major redundancies in the UK's engineering trades. Yes, I had initial aspirations to join the RAF and fly, as did my son.......but now (as then) only the best of the very best get a chance.......
Saturday I was parked for a couple of hours in the daily driver in Brentwood while Mrs Roscobbc was touring the shops. A beautiful day, made better by the sounds of a Merlin engine rising and falling somewhere close. Couldn't see where is was but every 10 minutes or so I would hear it. I finally caught sight of it when leaving Brentwood via Warley. This is in a relatively high heavily wooded location on the edge of the Thames Valley. As I drove through the area to my right for a few seconds the Thames Valley and an open vista from the QE2 bridge to London's Dockland was visible and this superb Spitfire was flying at what appeared to be barely 100 foot over me down the edge of the valley banking, turning and zig-zagging around a solitary helicopter (presumably on a photo-experience trip - at first that looked quite frightening as the Spitfire seemed very close to the chopper and it was 'buzzing' all around it - spectacular nonethe less). And that was why I earlier kept hearing the Merlin engine note rising and falling - a wonderful sight and sound - won't ever forget that! - thinking back it was strange that this had been going on for a hour or so. Its nowhere that close to where the air experience Spitfires operate from (Duxford and Kent) and why so close to a built-up area? that in itself is contradictory to flying regulations - perhaps it was footage for a film?

Last edited:

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Such a shame that the last flying Mossie in the UK crashed in 1996 (a slight setback for the pilots as well).
They seem to be very good at restoring them in New Zealand but US money seems to snap them up.
When im PM i will buy one and present it to the BBMF.. so thats not going to happen any day soon.
This is the last one losing control and going down.. hard to watch..

antijam

CCCUK Member
Such a shame that the last flying Mossie in the UK crashed in 1996 (a slight setback for the pilots as well).
They seem to be very good at restoring them in New Zealand but US money seems to snap them up.
When im PM i will buy one and present it to the BBMF.. so thats not going to happen any day soon.
This is the last one losing control and going down.. hard to watch..
Not a good sight - and no ejector seats in those planes......

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I've seen that video a few times now Derek. So sad to watch. There are I think two programs of getting a Mosquito airborn in the UK now. One is the People's Mosquito, and there is another one that the name escapes me now. Both long projects and both I think are around "mid way" through the restoration, with still a while to go until completion. Its wonderful to see the photos of them having things done to them.